• The doctor is in

Trip Report: Enjoying the off-season!

I made it back to Disneyland this past Thursday and Friday and despite the closures and rainy weather, I must say that I had a pretty darn good time.

Thursday the 6th was definitely the most empty I have ever seen the parks in all my times of being there. The weather was a bit balmy and it rained most of the day, but I bet the crowd index wasn't more than 50 or 60. I started my day in California Adventure and stayed there until the late afternoon. I got in right at 10am and headed over to Cars Land I hopped in line for RSR and despite a posted wait time of 45min I bet I only waited 25-30. The FP line for RSR was already wrapped around Carthay Circle and the return time was already around 2pm. After RSR I headed over to Hollywood Land and caught Muppet Vision 3D which was fairly populated due to the rain and then went on Mike and Sully to the Rescue. After eating lunch at Pacific Wharf I pretty much wrapped up DCA by 2pm and was wandering around looking for stuff to do. I'm not kidding when I said this was the least crowded I have ever experienced. I was at the point where I was searching for something to do!
    I headed over to Disneyland and that's when the rain picked up a bit. I tried to do things that had indoor or semi-indoor queues, so I hit Fantasyland and did those rides. The longest wait time I had in Disneyland was probably Mr. Toad and even that was only 15min. After seeking rain shelter in the Golden Horseshoe for about 20min I went on Pirates and unfortunately sat on a wet seat, so I walked back to the hotel to change clothes and then came back. It started raining again so I decided to get Captain EO out of the way since it would be a dry spot. Similar to Muppet Vision, Captain EO was pretty packed because a lot of people were trying to avoid the rain. I also will say that show is a lot more fun with an audience. It's a shame a majority of the time the theater is fairly empty. After that I was so cold and wet I decided to head out a bit early and I wound up going back to my hotel about 6:30pm even though they were open until 8pm.

Rides I did on Thursday (wait times in parenthesis):

RSR (25-30min)
    Red Car Trolley
    Muppet Vision 3D
    Mike and Sully to the Rescue (walk-on)
    The Little Mermaid (walk-on)
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (15min)
    Snow White's Daring Journey (walk-on)
    Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (walk-on)
    Haunted Mansion (5min)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (5min)
    Captain EO

Friday the 7th was a bit more crowded, but even then it still wasn't bad at all. There were some waits at rides, but the lines were still significantly lower than I have experienced before. I took it a bit easier this day because I had done so much the day before in such little time that I figured I had the chance to take it a bit slow. I decided to do things that I had never done before, like the castle walk through and the Magical Map show. I started my day in Adventureland to get Indiana Jones and Jungle Cruise out of the way.
    I was not impressed with Indiana Jones at all and that's why I only rode it once. I had a short wait time, but a majority of the effects weren't working. When I went into the very first turn with the three doors the lights didn't shine on the door I was going through and it took a really long time for the door to open. The new Mara effect looks better in person than on YouTube, but I still don't find it necessary. At least they fixed the voice. When I got into the temple a lot of the show lights weren't on, the fire wasn't working, the headlights on the Jeep weren't working, and the ride seemed to be going slower than I remember. It was very smooth and it seemed like it wasn't as bumpy as it should be. When you go into the side hallways those lights weren't working either. At the very end with the boulder the lights around the boulder weren't on and you could only see it with the flashing of the strobe lights. The lighting around the Indiana animatronic was very low, too. I don't know if maybe that's why there was a refurb scheduled for this one, but it was pathetic. It looks like it's in even worse shape than it was before the last big refurb it had.
    After that I got in line for Jungle Cruise and am excited to say this was my first time ever getting stuck on this ride! We got about halfway through the river and a voice over the loudspeakers said "attention in the jungle, all animatronics to be turned off in 3.2.1." We sat still for a minute or so and then again over the speakers, "attention in the jungle, all skippers reverse course at a quarter speed back to the dock." Then we were driven backwards through what we already did back to the dock where we were handed a readmission pass up to 6 people for any ride except for RSR. Our skipper handled it very well and he was in good spirits about it.
    Aside from that I had a pretty relaxing day. I ate a delicious lunch at Blue Bayou and had dinner at Café Orleans. I was also able to ride the Disneyland Railroad through the entire park, so I guess what people were saying about the Tomorrowland filming wasn't totally accurate. I had heard due to filming the train was going to be shut down. One highlight of Friday that was fun was the Mickey and the Magical Map show. I wouldn't say it is the best show but it is very fun. The theater is packed full for it, too. At one point the CMs were turning people away and asking them to come back for the next show. I decided to skip the fireworks and parades because I was starting to get really tired. I remembered I still had the readmission pass, so I used it to go single rider on Star Tours. This was by far the best trip I have had on that ride since the 3D refurb. I started by being greeted by Vader, I was blasted to Hoth, and then landed in the Clone Wars where I was forced to land in Coruscant. The rebel transmission was from Yoda, too. No Gungans, no pod racing, no problem
    I headed over back to DCA to catch a glimpse at Cars Land at night. I also figured at the last minute to walk over and see what Mad T Party was like. I was a big fan of elecTRONica, but I must admit that Mad T Party is pretty fun. I stayed there for maybe 45min and then headed out and walked back to my hotel.

Rides I did on Friday:

Indiana Jones (10-15min)
    Jungle Cruise (5min)
    Enchanted Tiki Room
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (15min)
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey (10min)
    Alice in Wonderland (15min)
    Mad Tea Party (5min)
    Winnie the Pooh (10min)
    Disneyland Railroad
    Star Tours (5min - single rider)

Rides I normally do that I skipped this trip:

Space Mountain
    Toy Story Midway Mania
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Storybook Canal Boats
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

Hopefully I will be back in October to see everything in time for Halloween and will also be able to do Thunder Mountain by then. I will also post pictures when I fly home and am able to sync my phone. When I do I'll bump this thread and share some of my pictures
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Pan's Left-Hand Man

Re: Trip Report: Enjoying the off-season!

Sounds like you had a good time, despite the weather!

I can't imagine a trip without a Space Mt. or Matterhorn ride... unless they're down for refurb.

Also, it's nice to hear Captain Eo and Muppet Vision getting some love, they're usually pretty dead.

Thanks for sharing!
    "On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles..."
    J.M. Barrie

The "cold" and (minimal) rain have been keeping crowds low. The last couple hours of Disneyland operation Saturday night were very slow. You could look down from the treehouse and see hardly anyone. Thursday was great. I walked onto Haunted Mansion the entire time.

• Foolish Mortal

Sounds like a good time was had, thanks for the TR. I was there last night from about 6:30pm til 10:30pm.

so what's up with Mr. Toad?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Unfortunately, he went to hell for driving recklessly.

HA HA! When I was on Indy last month, it was the rockiest/fastest I remember it ever being! I was actually ill afterwards (could've been the Monte Cristo I had just eaten at The Blue Bayou just 20 minutes prior). I wish I was there during the cooler weather. It was in the mid-80's in January!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Well, Toady was merrily on his way to nowhere at all.

• The doctor is in

Here are some pictures!

Yummy, yummy soup:

The most empty I have ever seen it (mid-afternoon pics, too):

Updated sign on BTMRR:

Sign outside of Splash Mountain:

The new Starbucks on Main Street:

The Frozen Meet and Greet in Fantasyland:

Enjoying some Mad T Party:

• The doctor is in

Here are some more pics

Before getting stuck on Jungle Cruise:

• Pan's Left-Hand Man

I am now desperate for a bread bowl. MMMMMMM.

Also, enjoying Ursula's derp face.

Thanks for the pics!
    "On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles..."
    J.M. Barrie

• The doctor is in

My pleasure.

• The doctor is in

Another random thing I just remembered was while I was walking through the exit hallway for Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, I noticed the Michael Jackson picture was missing from the wall. There was a Kristi Yamaguchi photo that I don't recall ever seeing before that was in the spot I thought the MJ picture was at.

Anyone know if Michael got removed?

• waitin' to board

..nice pictures..thanks for posting them.