Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Ride The Road To Destiny

Go Pro Cameras On Disneyland Rides

Hey guys its been five years since I've posted on here but I had a question regarding cameras.

I noticed on YouTube, some people will whip out their cameras during a ride on California Screamin, RSR, and Space Mountain. I thought DL and DCA doesn't allow cameras on their rides. So whats the deal, are cameras allowed or not? I haven't used my Go Pro at either park and I am hesitant to do so.

I have shot carnival rides and other roller coasters with my Go Pro but that was because I had permission to do so.
    Rocket Rods 1998-2001 May you rest in peace.

"From the imagination of Walt Disney and NASCAR presents a second generation in Tomorrowland Rapid Transit. Rocket Rods V2!"

Re: Go Pro Cameras On Disneyland Rides

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRodRider88 View Post
    Hey guys its been five years since I've posted on here but I had a question regarding cameras.

I noticed on YouTube, some people will whip out their cameras during a ride on California Screamin, RSR, and Space Mountain. I thought DL and DCA doesn't allow cameras on their rides. So whats the deal, are cameras allowed or not? I haven't used my Go Pro at either park and I am hesitant to do so.

I have shot carnival rides and other roller coasters with my Go Pro but that was because I had permission to do so.
    I've heard "no flash photography" on some rides, but never "no photography".

Disney has been mostly okay with on-ride photography. Occasionally you'll run into someone who tells you to put away, but it's certainly not as common as Universal or Six Flags.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

We used our gopro last December - rides like RSR & meet & greets, parade, etc. with the wrap around tripod - straps, etc they are really unobtrusive.

But - the sound is greatly compromised with the waterproof case on.

•   

They want you to film rides? Its free marketing, because everyone sends the video or posts the video somewhere. I cant see why Disney would be against it unless its a dark ride and your using a flash, then it is impacting the experience of another guest.

• Ride The Road To Destiny

I used to be a ride operator at Belmont Park and we had to impose a no camera policy on our rides because it was a safety issue. I would imagine DLR had a similar protocol. I know SeaWorld and SFMM won't allow cameras period.
    Rocket Rods 1998-2001 May you rest in peace.

"From the imagination of Walt Disney and NASCAR presents a second generation in Tomorrowland Rapid Transit. Rocket Rods V2!"

• Indiana Scott

A CM told my wife to put away her video camera (small HD) on Screamin.

• Disneyland Dreamer

I've never been asked, and I took videos and pictures on screamin/RSR/etc

Screamin seems like a baaad place for any camera that isn't strapped down to your body. Just my opinion though

Our gopro was visible to CM when we got on - TowMaters, RSR, Mad Tea Party etc. We didn't use it on any dark rides though.

• Meh

I see a lot fo people walking around the parks with their GoPro on their hat bills etc, I reckon if they see you trying to set up some sort of camera during the loading stage of the ride they might ask you to stop, but then again if you bust that baby out as you're rounding the corner to the "3, 2, 1...." I doubt they would stop the ride.

• Light up the HALO!

I have used my Go Pro many times at the DLR and have never had an issue on any attraction I have filmed. The only attractions that filming is not allowed are film based attractions like Soarin' Over California and Star Tours. Other than that you should be fine.

The only reason they would tell you to put it away is if you are attempting to set up your camera while loading or unloading as this is a safety issue and can slow down the boarding process which could cause a problem on attractions like Space Mountain and Screamin' where they need to board guest in a timely manor.

As a side note, for videos at Disneyland, I would recommend getting the Go Pro Frame as it will give you much better sound on attractions.
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

• MaliBOOMer

I think it's only a problem if they have a light that disrupts from the ride. They won't let you film on Tower or Star Tours because of this. I've never had a problem on Indiana Jones even which just an iPhone and no wrist strap or anything to keep it secure. They seat belt check CM's didn't seam to care. On Screamin' I've used a go pro with a chest mount and have had no issues.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• A Weather Eye Open

As Quentin suggested, it is due to the light from the camera. Most rides and attractions allow photography and filming with no flash or video light. Some attractions do not allow filming due to copyright issues; mostly that is any attraction with a video or screen component (Captain EO, Star Tours, Soarin', possibly Nemo?). If you are on a roller coaster or thrill ride and get told to put a camera away, it is likely not because of any policy but because the CM who spotted you thinks you will drop it! That problem is obviously eliminated with a Go Pro. I used a handheld camcorder several years ago throughout the park and had no problem filming on thrill rides. I used extra straps around my neck and wrist to ensure that it would remain with me even if I dropped it.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• The doctor is in

Most on-ride videos on YouTube for California Screamin' start after the CMs send the car away from the loading dock. I think most people wait until then so the CMs can't really walk up and tell you to put it away.

I have video recorded rides and taken non-flash photos and have never been told to put my camera/phone away by a CM. I think it depends on the CM on duty.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Disneyland Original '55

Some attractions like tower of terror say no flash or video recording (i think indiana has that rule too) but on other attractions its just no Flash photography. The safety signs where the hight indicator is should say something about it or cast members will inform you or the safety spiel will tell you.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast