Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Worst Vist Ever to Disneyland - Tue 02/04/2014

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    This really should be expected when visiting this time of the year.
    Do you work for Disney management or something? I paid $ 105 per person to get into this park to have that many major rides not working at the same time.

• The doctor is in

That's unfortunate. I was there on the 6th and 7th and the only rides down were the ones on the refurb lists. Jungle Cruise broke down while I was on it on the 7th, but it was open most of the morning.

I had a similar experience to yours last May. I went up to a CM at one point and asked what rides weren't broken and they gave me a dirty look.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by PDSchweitzer View Post
    Do you work for Disney management or something? I paid $ 105 per person to get into this park to have that many major rides not working at the same time.
    Perhaps a less blunt way of putting it...

Disneyland's been extremely busy and they've reduced the overall actual maintenance level on their attractions (loss of third shift, etc.). At the moment, they're trying to complete an increasingly over schedule Big Thunder rebuild/rehab as well as fit in the usual yearly rehabs that the other E-tickets get. Two of the bigger rides *must* be taken down yearly around this time to remove the holiday overlays they received, and at some point they need to handle everything else.

I suspect this cascade is part of why a number of attractions went down during your visit. Rides that should have already been offline and worked on are being used until they break or until they can take the ride down for a full rehab. They delay the multiple day or week or even months long closure neccessary to keep the park running at top form to try to keep capacity up, but as you experienced, a few breakdowns can result in it seeming like the park as a whole is just not working.

This is by no means meant to minimize your irritation. Personally, I think you should have gone full bore and lodged an official complaint at City Hall and followed it up with a letter politely expressing your experiences, if you're really ticked said letter being cc'ed to a local news media ombudsman or similar public figure.

However, under the current management and staffing levels, this is how the park works during the offseason. Those 'in the know' accept it and make allowances for it in general (as you've noticed), those out of the loop just receive a markedly inferior experience for the same price.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

I understand rides need refurbs during of season and rides do go down, but at $100 a pop so much down is bs. Their really should be a different price during of season. Make it $75 and I would not feel so ripped of.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

I agree that in the off season, it should be expected that SOME attractions are down for maintenance, BUT the number of major rides currently down is UNACCEPTABLE. They used to space out the E Attraction mainenance much better. And they should NEVER have TWO major attractions down for extended periods of time at the same time - such is the case with BOTH Big Thunder and the Subs down. They should have delayed the Subs closing until Big Thunder was up and running. And then they could still have one other major attraction on a short term refurbishment.

What is worrysome about this is that upper management probably doesn't even care when this many major attractions are down, because upper level management are now originally from WDW , where they have far fewer attractions in each of those parks, and have the WDW Corrupted Management style. Someone would be wise to pull out some of those studies that showed customer satisfaction levels and compared with the number of attractions that the average guest experienced. If the number of attractions experienced is too low, the satisfaction is lower.

DL, for at least a short while was concerned about this, and they were also concened about he number of attractions that were open, as the more attractions available, the high the attendance the park could handle. They really need to put that in focus again!

• MaliBOOMer

So many rides not open at opening, jeez. I noticed this being more common with Screamin' than any other ride. It seems almost every trip screaming' has a delayed opening 3/5 days I'm there.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• The Tomorrowland One

Sometimes the overnight maintenance for the rides runs long. Best they can do is to finish it up ASAP and get it open. And also during the off season, the staffing for the attraction is often scheduled near the minimum required (ie, attraction needs 8 people to operate within safety parameters and cover breaks, they schedule 10) and CMs may be getting sick and calling out. They do the best to move available staffing around to get stuff open as soon as possible.

Yes, it sucks that not everything was available at park opening. But if you let that "ruin" your day, you are letting a rather minor hiccup in your day bother you way more that it should.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    You could have enjoyed the other attractions at Disneyland or headed over to DCA. It's not uncommon to have things not up and running right after rope drop, but it never ruined my day at the resort.
    He went from rope drop to 10:20 before getting to the Matterhorn, the first ride he encountered working. It ruins your day in the sense that in the hour and twenty minutes you could've been riding rides and having fun, you were continuously getting turned down all around the park. What's worse, the whole point of getting there at rope drop is to avoid crowds...by 10:20, the whole point of rope drop has been defeated.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    He went from rope drop to 10:20 before getting to the Matterhorn, the first ride he encountered working. It ruins your day in the sense that in the hour and twenty minutes you could've been riding rides and having fun, you were continuously getting turned down all around the park. What's worse, the whole point of getting there at rope drop is to avoid crowds...by 10:20, the whole point of rope drop has been defeated.
    On a Tuesday it would have been a 10 opening, and 20 minutes fits better with the time frame of walking from Space to Adventureland to Matterhorn. I would be quite upset if so many rides were down at opening, especially on a once in several years trip.

Now if you want to talk about wasting rope drop talk to the groups who go straight to Anna/Elsa! By 930 (9am open) there was at least an hour long line and they don't start meeting until 11. By 1030 the line was full, so a 2 hour wait, plus the 30 minutes until they even start. It usually stays at 2 hours all day so no point in going early!

Just relax dude, it's not the end of the world

Remember just to keep a positive attitude when visiting the parks.

I had to wait 2 hours for Alice in wonderland for my little cousin, It broke down, took an hour to fix and then broke down again, another hour. It wasnt worth it at all, I could literally touch the ceiling without even trying

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ParadiseDude View Post
    Remember just to keep a positive attitude when visiting the parks.
    I'm going to defend the OP here.

If they had just run into one ride down, or if they'd run into Space being down, then Innoventions not opening, then Gadget's Go Coaster and that was it - then I'd be 100% behind it being an overreaction.

The ride list they attempted and failed to achieve with rides not listed as down or under refurbishment is both impressive and the core of what a large body of people would consider the "Disneyland experience".

Whether an insider AP with knowledge of the park's rythms should have known better is beside the point. This is a relatively new poster who is by their admission NOT a regular, and they walked into the parks at open to find the first several 'big' attractions down or not completely functional. That's just bad show.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Done with MC.

Good post BogLurch.
    People that only get to the parks on very rare instances have every right to feel cheated. Having a huge percentage of rides down for any reason is no longer acceptable with the insanely high price of tickets.

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Quote Originally Posted by PDSchweitzer View Post
    Don't get me started on what a joke DCA park is. As I see it only the Radiator Springs and Hollywood Tower are true Disney quality / original rides. The rest are a joke as the whole DCA project in my mind is a huge failure.

You are welcome to your opinion... but you are wrong! DCA 1.0 was rightly shunned by the Disney faithful until the powers that be finally decided to fix it. It's not perfect, but it's soooooooooooo much better than it was - and according to the numbers it is now far from being a failure.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast