Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Worst Vist Ever to Disneyland - Tue 02/04/2014

Maybe they should go back to the old schedule when they closed Monday and Tuesdays.

Fun fact! 90% of all unexpected ride closures are NOT due to faulty maintenance and are instead caused by guests creating delays and backups in the station and/or are safety responses built into the ride system that are designed to protect guests or cast members. And! The rides are typically up and running between 10-60 mins! It would be a terrible idea for Disney to offer complimentary park-hoppers or refunds to guests just because a handful of attractions had unexpected closures that happened to be at the same time, as some here are suggesting.

All in all, it seems the OP ran into some extraordinary bad luck when they ran into 4 attractions that had unexpected closures. However, when they were walking between those attractions, they also passed by Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbitor, Enchanted Tiki Room, Pirates of the Caribbean, all the Main Street attractions, and possibly some Fantasyland attractions depending on the route. It's a bummer that the 4 attractions the OP listed weren't available at that time, but Disneyland is filled to bursting with attractions; I'm sure that they could have found something to do while they waited for an attraction to reopen.

Now eventually (within 2 ~ 3 hours) all those down rides finally open, but doesn't those Disney management understand with 4 major rides closed, that having others down just has a huge ripple affect on every other ride line?
    Disney has no control over when an attraction stops operating. If they did, then the attractions would never stop operating. Of course Disney understands that when rides go down it has an effect on other rides; they've been doing this sort of thing for 58 years now. But sometimes it just can't be helped, despite the best of intentions.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Maybe they should go back to the old schedule when they closed Monday and Tuesdays.
    I was just going to suggest they do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlueBird View Post
    Fun fact! 90% of all unexpected ride closures are NOT due to faulty maintenance and are instead caused by guests creating delays and backups in the station and/or are safety responses built into the ride system that are designed to protect guests or cast members.
    I'm gonna echo this. Many immediately assume that when a ride goes down, it's because of poor maintenance and then it snowballs into an apocalyptic argument over the management. However, a vast majority of "breakdowns" are attributed to guest behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by PDSchweitzer View Post
    I have not visited Disneyland in 5 years (too long) and had this trip planned/booked for over 10 months. I purposely visit a Disney park in January or Feb. and only go on a Tue, Wed or Thursday to avoid lines and hot weather.

I go there last Tuesday 2/04 and ropes go up and ...

I go straight to Space Mountain. Sorry, not running right now due to problems.

Dart over to Indy - Sorry not running right now due to an issue.

Next door at Jungle Cruise - Sorry, not running right now due to an issue

Head over to The Haunted Mansion - Sorry, not running right now due to an issue

Head over to Matterhorn (it is now about 10:20 AM) only one side is running as the other side has an issue that the Maintenance staff are working on. Other side is working, but line wraps all the way around and is an hour wait (20 minutes after the park opens).

Also keep in mind that Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Subs, Small World and DD Railroad are all closed. I realize that their will likely be at least 1 major ride down since it is off season, but 4 majors down at the same time...

Now eventually (within 2 ~ 3 hours) all those down rides finally open, but doesn't those Disney management understand with 4 major rides closed, that having others down just has a huge ripple affect on every other ride line? You would hope that with 4 major closed, that they would staff up at night and really make sure all the other rides were running perfect well before the lines open.
    Probably not the sympathy you guessed you'd get by posting this, eh. I feel for you. Stories like yours serve to remind me that I am pretty lucky. With an AP, if something like that happens, I can always come back. People who make one trek a year (or every 5 years) don't have that luxury.

That said, I think you just hit a streak of bad luck. It doesn't work in Disney's favor for people to regularly experience the same story you have. If too many people experienced it, it would significantly hurt their brand.

Sadly, Disney runs a major risk of losing you as a customer. They wouldn't be where they are today if your story was a common one. That doesn't make your experience any better, however.

While I didn't quote the post, I do find your review of Ca Adv. to be puzzling. If you haven't been there in 5 years, how do you know the quality of the park? 5 years ago, Toy Story Midway Mania was barely open. Carsland was not open, includin Radiator Springs Racers and Mater's Jamboree. World of Color didn't exist. To a lesser extent, Ariel's Undersea Adventure wasn't there either. Add that to Tower of Terror, CA Screamin, Soarin' Over CA...and you call it a second-rate park without even trying it?

Anyway, I am sorry you felt like your money was wasted. I know what a disappointing trip/expenditure can feel like. Hope next time, if there is one, is better :-)

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Even just one day would help a lot. Closing on a Monday each week or even every other week would be a step in the right direction.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    I'm gonna echo this. Many immediately assume that when a ride goes down, it's because of poor maintenance and then it snowballs into an apocalyptic argument over the management. However, a vast majority of "breakdowns" are attributed to guest behavior.
    Umm...these rides were closed at opening according to the OP. Guests werent even in the park to cause the delays............

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Umm...these rides were closed at opening according to the OP. Guests werent even in the park to cause the delays............
    Disneyland had an extra magic hour/magic morning that day, so some guests were in the park at 9am.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Disneyland had an extra magic hour/magic morning that day, so some guests were in the park at 9am.
    Most of the rides the OP hit arent available for extra magic hour. The "guest at fault" thing is still irrelevant.

• Perfect Insanity

[QUOTE=MrBlueBird;1057078721]It would be a terrible idea for Disney to offer complimentary park-hoppers or refunds to guests just because a handful of attractions had unexpected closures that happened to be at the same time, as some here are suggesting.

All in all, it seems the OP ran into some extraordinary bad luck when they ran into 4 attractions that had unexpected closures. However, when they were walking between those attractions, they also passed by Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbitor, Enchanted Tiki Room, Pirates of the Caribbean, all the Main Street attractions, and possibly some Fantasyland attractions depending on the route. It's a bummer that the 4 attractions the OP listed weren't available at that time, but Disneyland is filled to bursting with attractions; I'm sure that they could have found something to do while they waited for an attraction to reopen.

QUOTE]

Well said. There was so much passed up on during that time. Disneyland has so much to do aside from those few rides down at that time. Besides they did work at some point so what is the issue? I can't see how that could ruin a person's day there. There are many reasons as others have said for why it could have been that those rides were not up yet. I don't care what theme park you go to it can and will happen that rides aren't up and running right when that park opens.
    And those that think something should be given for when rides go down, that is not the way any theme park business should do things. Its not the whole park down or even close to half. With so much more to go about doing while you wait there is no point to give something for that. I honestly will never get why so many assume they should be given something for free in return for things like a ride going down or a few rides down...not assuming anyone or all here would be that way. Things happen and they do the best they can to get them back up and running as fast as they can.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player & All Stars Basketball Player-Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

• Indiana Scott

Actually it's pretty common for Disney to give single universal FP's for rides that go down with a queue full of people. I've been a lucky(?) recipient many times.

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    To be fair, on a Tuesday in February it's not uncommon for them to intentionally only be running one side of Matterhorn right when the park opens, issue or not. It's a bummer if the wait gets that long that quickly, and was probably at least partially due to the other things having issues, but only one side open on the Matterhorn is true like...I want to say 50% of the time I go there and it's not usually related to a mechanical problem. Or at least, the CMs didn't frame it that way at the time.
    Ahhh, that explains why the Matterhorn was only running the one side when I was there on a Tuesday. I thought it was odd, but assumed it was a mechanical problem.

"There are many reasons as others have said for why it could have been that those rides were not up yet. I don't care what theme park you go to it can and will happen that rides aren't up and running right when that park opens. "

This is actually a very informative thread. The one point that is being missed is that this was the poster's first visit in 5 years. Five years ago it was not normal to find so many rides closed at once. That is my memory of visits 3 years and 6 years back. There were no multiple, all at once closures.

What was experienced by the Back Side of Water is the now the new normal. On my second week in December 2013 visit three rides were closed in ROA and JC was without boats for the crush of folks. All of this happening at the same time. This event put me in a poor frame of mind, which was ALL OF THAT MONEY ON A RARE VISIT TO THE PARK AND I CAN'T RIDE ACCORDING TO MY PLAN". It was my mind set of order of rides and expectations.

Now, since that 2013 trip, and reading here about the constant closures, I have a new mind set on how to visit the park. I now have to discard past experiences and create an approach that lines up with the new normal.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    What was experienced by the Back Side of Water is the now the new normal. On my second week in December 2013 visit three rides were closed in ROA and JC was without boats for the crush of folks. All of this happening at the same time. This event put me in a poor frame of mind, which was ALL OF THAT MONEY ON A RARE VISIT TO THE PARK AND I CAN'T RIDE ACCORDING TO MY PLAN". It was my mind set of order of rides and expectations.

Now, since that 2013 trip, and reading here about the constant closures, I have a new mind set on how to visit the park. I now have to discard past experiences and create an approach that lines up with the new normal.
    This might seem far-fetched, but perhaps Disney is priming the AP's and other frequent guests into accepting MM+ in California if and when it rolls out there. It is pretty much a given that for tourists and infrequent visitors, MM+ will probably more useful than those frequent park-goers who are familiar with maneuvering in the parks. But by closing multiple rides at once, maybe they are priming the frequent visitor into using the MM+ system since it might be the only major way someone could get on a ride in the future. Long story short, perhaps they are doing this on purpose and for a reason?

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This might seem far-fetched, but perhaps Disney is priming the AP's and other frequent guests into accepting MM+ in California if and when it rolls out there. It is pretty much a given that for tourists and infrequent visitors, MM+ will probably more useful than those frequent park-goers who are familiar with maneuvering in the parks. But by closing multiple rides at once, maybe they are priming the frequent visitor into using the MM+ system since it might be the only major way someone could get on a ride in the future. Long story short, perhaps they are doing this on purpose and for a reason?
    Unlikely. As many frequent visitors have posted in this thread that many rides down doesn't really phase us. We can always return another time. Also, I don't think MM+, especially FP+ would work with the number of local APs. Can you imagine how many would pre book FP just in case? Day visitors would have no chance, especially due to the low number of FP attractions or attractions that could add a FP queue without major construction. Anyway, off topic, but no, I highly doubt this was the reason, and if it was, it's a terrible practice!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast