Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

Re: Worst Vist Ever to Disneyland - Tue 02/04/2014

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    They replied twice - posts #14 an #16, figured that was enough to treat it at least as a semi credible complaint.
    That's what makes it so funny to me. I don't mean it in a bad or derogatory way. I mean frequent MCers love to chat with anyone and keep it going even if that person (who started it) is no longer part of the conversation.

On another note - someone posted about not having to pay full price when there are quite a few of the main attractions closed for a period of time.....it's doubtful that Disney would do that. One point is, there are times when DL will close early, 5 PM early, and you still pay full price.

RSR broke down 4 times Thanksgiving day 2012. I didn't get to ride it. However, I did get on PoTC 6 times and HM 4 and that was great!

Good times
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    nobody said life was fair. And we all have free will, so the best way to make a point to the folks at Disney resort is to not go to the Parks during off season, but if you chose to go (free will) during the off season for the reasons you give, then roll the dice. BTW there's plenty of apps that tell you the attractions that are down for maintenance. It was unfortunate that other attractrions were were down, but you later said they were back up and running a couple hours later, so I'm not quite sure why so much energy was given to this other than your expectations and presumptions of the day hit a bump early on and, I guess, emotionally you never got over it?
    I'm not going to call out any one poster in particular, but the statement above is indicative of several very dismissive comments regarding the OP's concerns.

As someone who lived the first 21 years of their life in LA and was able to go to the park 2-3 times a year and has now moved half way across the country and has only been back twice in 12+ years, I think I bring a different perspective to the conversation.

Sure, Off Season is the time when most refurbs are happening. And rightly so. The crowds aren't as bad, the weather isn't always the best, and school is in session. This is also an ideal time for out-of-state visitors to go on vacation so they can have a chance of enjoying the resort without the normal crowds. This is the time of year that I take my trips as well.

People like us don't have the luxury of saying "Space Mountain is closed. Oh well, good thing I can come back tomorrow. Or the next day. Or ANY day because I have an AP and I can and do come all the time. It will be open again next trip, I'm sure." For us, the next trip might not be for YEARS.

I know that coming in the Off Season has risks. It could rain every day. It could be colder than usual. The Operating Hours are shorter. Refurbs are common. But to compound that with the fact that the rides you actually want to go on are closed/broken would certainly be disappointing for me and my family. I know that we always take advantage of Rope Drop so we can hit all the best rides before the locals come in the afternoon and create long wait times. That's the best part of arriving early. You practically have the whole park to yourselves, comparatively speaking.

I honestly feel that the fact the rides opened later (after the crowds showed up) is small consolation. Sure, you may get a chance to ride after all, but now you have a 1+ hour wait instead of the 10 minute (if that) wait you would have had at rope drop. Multiply that by the number of Major Attractions that are down and you're looking at over 5 hours in line. When the hours are shorter that is a hard pill for a non-local to swallow.

I think the OP has every reason to be upset. They spent a huge amount of money on their trip. They had a certain expectation of what they would get for their money. That expectation was not unreasonable. They didn't get a discount on tickets because of the shorter hours and the decrease in available E Tickets to ride. Nope, full price paid for a less than optimal experience. Is that fair? I know that life isn't always fair, but this isn't an every day life experience. This is certainly out of the ordinary and I think it's quite sad that some have posted that this kind of experience is the new normal. That doesn't make me excited for our next trip - NEXT YEAR.

This conversation would be much different if some folks were able to put themselves in the OP's shoes and attempt to empathize instead of dismissing straight away because the OP didn't get to experience something that they seemingly take for granted.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

^Actually, I think most everyone would have agreed with the OP IF the rides would have been down for the whole duration of his vacation. However, the OP - and tomrules1955 points out as well - the rides were only down for a couple of hours. Hence, why did it warrant such a post claiming his day was ruined? It seems that's where the differing opinions are derived from. It's a conjecture at best but, that's how I am seeing it.

I don't think anyone is trying to be unsympathetic. I think most are just trying to say that this is the time of year that rides are being worked on so, instead of letting those downed rides ruin your day, focus on the other wonderful aspects that make Disney a great place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelluh View Post
    ^Actually, I think most everyone would have agreed with the OP IF the rides would have been down for the whole duration of his vacation. However, the OP - and tomrules1955 points out as well - the rides were only down for a couple of hours. Hence, why did it warrant such a post claiming his day was ruined? It seems that's where the differing opinions are derived from. It's a conjecture at best but, that's how I am seeing it.

I don't think anyone is trying to be unsympathetic. I think most are just trying to say that this is the time of year that rides are being worked on so, instead of letting those downed rides ruin your day, focus on the other wonderful aspects that make Disney a great place to visit.
    1. Because his time was extremely limited. He didn't have the option of coming back next week and going on every thing that was missed. It was now or never. Instead of being able to go all those rides after Rope Drop in the first 2 hours or so of his day, he got to spend the majority of his afternoon and evening in lines. Lines that wouldn't have been there in the morning. For someone with only so much time, that is extremely frustrating.

2. There is a difference between sympathy and empathy. I have sympathy in that I'm sorry that this ruined what should have been a wonderful experience. I'm empathetic in that I totally understand where he's coming from and I would feel the same given the circumstances.

Also, most of the rides he was speaking of weren't down for scheduled maintenance. They were just down. I think he was fine with the scheduled ones being down.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Minion

I dont understand how people can so quickly blow off someone's feelings towards their vacation. We all love Disneyland, right? Imagine only being able to go once every five years (or less). Imagine saving up money, travelling, and finally getting to the park, excited to go on so many rides only to find them closed. For all of you who are quicker to defend Disneyland than a well-intentioned vacationer, I have to ask how you would feel if you were in the same situation. Sure, there are plenty of rides at DL. But there's only one Indy, one Space Mountain...one of each headliner. Even if the rides were re-opened later, its frustrating to make a point to get there early for essentially nothing. You get there at rope drop to avoid the lines at the rides that were shut down--I think thats the biggest thing people are overlooking.

I just dont get how people can be so insensitive to a person who simply wanted to enjoy their day at a place we all enjoy, and went through a lot to do so only to be disappointed by faulty maintenance and poor management.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I dont understand how people can so quickly blow off someone's feelings towards their vacation.
    I think I understand this mindset. For many, DL is used as a way to kill time, a mall, a hangout, etc. In other words, it's taken for granted.

I know I took it for granted when I was a kid. Due to the fact that I went so often and nothing really changed much, I grew bored. By the time I was 12 or so I much preferred Magic Mountain over DL. MM is always changing. Rides come and go. DL was always pretty stagnant in comparison.

I never could have empathized with someone having a bad day at DL. Not until I moved away and didn't get to go for 8 years. Only then did I genuinely appreciate what I had always taken for granted. I had treated DL as fast food. Some place I could pop in and spend a few hours and then leave. I think that a lot of locals feel this way now and maybe don't realize it. It's very hard to understand a tourist's point of view when you're not one yourself.

Imagine saving up for a trip to Hawaii. For 2 years you save your money. Air fare, rental car, hotel, food, souvenirs, activities, the works. Everything is all set. Everything is booked with non-refundable payments. The day you arrive, a Typhoon comes and all it does is rain. For practically your entire vacation. Sure, you get brief periods of sunshine, but for the most part you are stuck in your room. What a great vacation! Look at your kids. Aren't they having a wonderful time? Look on the bright side..... You're still in Hawaii!

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

I just dont get how people can be so insensitive to a person who simply wanted to enjoy their day at a place we all enjoy, and went through a lot to do so only to be disappointed by faulty maintenance and poor management.
    I guess what I am disagreeing with is I don't think people are trying to be insensitive; they are trying to rationalize it by saying this is what happens. It's unfortunate but it happens; rides are shut down but try to make the best of it. By saying this, or pointing out that this is the time of year that stuff like this at Disneyland happens, is both acknowledging the problem but also making suggestions on what other attractions can be enjoyed as well and making the best of an unfortunate circumstance. Is that making sense or am I over explaining this?

• Roller Coaster Aficionado

I am only able to visit Disneyland every few years as time, money and cost permit. Of course I always want to hit every major ride/attraction when visiting Disneyland. Missing certain ones would be such a huge bummer on the rare occasions that I am able to go. I can definitely sympathize with the frustration felt when attraction after attraction is down when attempting to ride.

That being said, all experiences that happen to us as human beings is 10% what actually happens and 90% how we react to it. So even though the rides being down is frustrating and a bummer, it's all about your perspective when something like that happens. Yes it's sad and a let down that some rides aren't operating, but it's all how you react to it that determines how your day is going to play out.

Sure I would be bummed about unexpected ride closures as I only get to Disneyland every few years, but I'd be AT Disneyland, the happiest place on earth. Why choose to be unhappy and upset over it? It was the OP's perspective that made it the worst visit to Disneyland ever, not anything involving the actual ride closures, the crowds, CM's, etc.

• Done with MC.

I would not for one moment blame the OP for having a bad time.
    That would be dismissive and insensitive.

I, too was very disappointed with my last trip. Too many rides down including an E ticket that they decided to do a lengthy refurb on two days before my trip without any warning on the website. The park was filthy and there were a multitude of minor maint. items (like burned out bulbs on MS and trash in the waters) that went the whole week without attention.
    Is it my perspective that resulted in a poor experience or was it poor performance on Disney's part?
    Last edited by ScottG; 02-14-2014 at 08:23 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelluh View Post
    I guess what I am disagreeing with is I don't think people are trying to be insensitive; they are trying to rationalize it by saying this is what happens. It's unfortunate but it happens; rides are shut down but try to make the best of it. By saying this, or pointing out that this is the time of year that stuff like this at Disneyland happens, is both acknowledging the problem but also making suggestions on what other attractions can be enjoyed as well and making the best of an unfortunate circumstance. Is that making sense or am I over explaining this?
    The OP is upset that so many rides were broken. Its a basic sentiment. He isnt suing the park. He isnt swearing off Disneyland. If some kind of drastic action were at play here, then sure some rationaliziation couldnt hurt. But all people understand that things happen. That doesnt change the amount of disappointment one should experience. And with the attitude of "well stuff happens", Disney might as well not even bother running rides well--"stuff happens, let em break, right? The people who only get to come once every few years will understand!"

(Not singling you out, just putting the opposing side's attitude into perspective)

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I wanted to visit Disneyland for MiceChat's Anniversary, but circumstances prevented that from happening this year. As I read MiceChat, and remember my previous "early in the year" visits, I think that I am better off visiting at the busier times of the year. I travel from Chicago, and usually spend about a whole week. It is definitely more fun to have a full functioning resort, than one that is lacking in so many areas.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Minion

The OP is upset that so many rides were broken. Its a basic sentiment. He isnt suing the park. He isnt swearing off Disneyland. If some kind of drastic action were at play here, then sure some rationaliziation couldnt hurt. But all people understand that things happen. That doesnt change the amount of disappointment one should experience. And with the attitude of "well stuff happens", Disney might as well not even bother running rides well--"stuff happens, let em break, right? The people who only get to come once every few years will understand!"

(Not singling you out, just putting the opposing side's attitude into perspective)
    I agree with this. Let's stop lowering our standards on Disney because they will take advantage of it and gradually reduce themselves to a mediocre product.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I agree with this. Let's stop lowering our standards on Disney because they will take advantage of it and gradually reduce themselves to a mediocre product.
    I'm ok with simply going back to the standards that were in place previously. Third shift maintenance doing major work nightly, that kind of thing.

*does best Edith Bunker*

THOOOOSE WEEEERRRRE THE DAAIIIIEEEEEEEESSSS
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I think that I am better off visiting at the busier times of the year. I travel from Chicago, and usually spend about a whole week. It is definitely more fun to have a full functioning resort, than one that is lacking in so many areas.
    Just keep in mind, stuff goes down any time of year. The benefit of going in a busier time is there will be fewer planned closures, but the OP's experience as described was that there were the existing major planned closures plus 4 rides temporarily down very early in the day (presumably reopening later). I've been during empty times and busy times and 4 rides suddenly going down can happen any day of the year. Sure, it's not usually combined with as many planned closures. But for me, if half a dozen things are down and I'm having the annoying experience of walking from attraction to attraction only to find those I intended to go on instead down at that moment, I'd personally rather be there on a less busy day so I know that when they do reopen, the wait will probably not get as horrible as it would on a super busy day, and the waits for other things will also not yet be terrible. More time to do more other things in the interim.

The other thing that can help, but doesn't always, is of course wait apps. Then again, sometimes they're wrong or take longer than it does to walk over to catch up to the ride's current status. So if something just went down, or just came back up, the apps might not say yet. But there are also plenty of times when you can arrive at attraction A, find it's just gone down, and look at the app to decide what to do next. You might find four other things also already listed as (unexpectedly) down. That's certainly annoying, but to me, less annoying than the lather-rinse-repeat of walk across the park to do something, find it down, several times in a row. That certainly puts me in a foul mood, but at that point I usually switch my approach to, what I am standing nearest to that is running, then do that.

i was there that morning at rope drop and the first thing we rode was Indiana Jones, followed by the Haunted Mansion. so did this actually happen?
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die.
    --> Zero to Hero Transformation

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast