Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Re: Worst Vist Ever to Disneyland - Tue 02/04/2014

This is part of the reason we are delaying our vacation into April. Mainly BTMRR delay, but we want more rides to be "likely" operating.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I just dont get how people can be so insensitive to a person who simply wanted to enjoy their day at a place we all enjoy, and went through a lot to do so only to be disappointed by faulty maintenance and poor management.

How do you know this is true? The OP had a bad experience so someone has to be at fault here?, someone needs to be blamed?
    oh please, stuff happens and that's a fact. also, I've noticed that through all this conjecture the OP hasn't chimed in to give clarity.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Minion

likely operating

That is now the new normal for visiting, anytime of the year. It is now a matter of luck to find anything operating on any visit. The problem being explored in this thread is folks who have been absent 3 years or more are arriving at the park with a different set of expectations. I was guilty of that in December. never again will I arrive in the park thinking that it is operating.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    How do you know this is true? The OP had a bad experience so someone has to be at fault here?, someone needs to be blamed?
    oh please, stuff happens and that's a fact. also, I've noticed that through all this conjecture the OP hasn't chimed in to give clarity.
    What other excuse is there for a ride being down? You cant use the "guests at fault" excuse when the park has just opened...theres literally no other reason for that many rides to be down, not only the morning of the OP's visit but A LOT of the times I and other posters on this thread have gone.

As to why the OP hasnt responded, its maybe because people have been so quick to belittle his opinion regarding his trip. Im still not sure why youre so quick to defend Disneyland, a theme park, and equally quick to blow off the sentiment of people with the same interests as you...interests being a well-maintained Disneyland with rides running in tip top shape.

•   
    • Minion

If we look at it from a wide perspective - the rides do need maintenance, things happen, etc. - we can understand why the attractions might be 101. From the OP's standpoint, though - to go on your heavily anticipated and long awaited trip, to get there at 10 to make the most of your day, and to find that most of the e-tickets seem to be down at one time...that bites. None of us would enjoy being in that situation.

And I agree that it seems as though more rides are going down, both via scheduled maintenance and unscheduled problems, than ever before. Hopefully, things like the long Splash and BTMRR refurbs will get these rides in excellent shape so this doesn't happen so often.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Here's my 2 cents

What other excuse is there for a ride being down? You cant use the "guests at fault" excuse when the park has just opened...theres literally no other reason for that many rides to be down, not only the morning of the OP's visit but A LOT of the times I and other posters on this thread have gone.
    Oh please (facepalm) so its not ok to question the OP's thread but it's quite ok to have a cynical attitude about the presumed maintenance and management practices at DLR? I wouldn't begin to pretend to know what the maintenance schedules and management practices are for all the attractions so to say "What other excuse is there for a ride being down? when the possible reality is there may be 1,000 excuses and they all fall under stuff happens so I suppose you could blame God and the universe
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Minion

^lol, ok. Lets blame it on God and the universe. Guess what? The OP can still be disappointed about it..."facepalm".

But lets look at the facts...several rides were down AT opening. Ride effects have gradually been in decline (see thread about things that used to work at Disneyland). And the biggest thing to look at here...a LOT of posters in this thread have pointed out their similar experiences with consistently broken-down rides. So yeah, I'd have to say thats on maintenance, buddy.

• Special Agent

So yeah, I'd have to say thats on maintenance, buddy.
    There could have been a power outage that delayed the opening procedures. An opening emplyee could have called out. The ride computer could have just crashed. Even a minor earthquake (small enough not to be noticed) could have caused ride computers to shut down.

Even if there was a maintenance issue, it doesn't mean that it was caused by a lack or maintenance or poor management. If a part fails (which can be due to a manufacturing defect) and maintenance showed up and replace the part to get the ride running again in an hour, I'd consider that a pretty respectable maintenance team.

Yes it sucks that someone was inconvenienced, but at the same time there is no reason to perpetuate the expectation that all attractions will always be open and the notion that it is unusual for them to sometimes be closed. In fact it is almost irresponsible to do so, and could just end up causing more disappointment later.

But lets look at the facts...several rides were down AT opening. ...
    So yeah, I'd have to say thats on maintenance, buddy.

Again, as it's been stated, there was magic morning that day. People were in the park for an hour. Absolutely, it bites when a bunch of stuff unexpectedly goes down at once, but the notion that it absolutely definitely had to be due to lack of maintenance and not the also likely possibility some guest did something/set off some sensor/made them need to stop the ride for safety issues is absolutely on the on the table. It's also not limited to Disneyland. Multiple rides temporarily need to be shut down throughout the day at any amusement park. Usually not all at once, but none of this strikes me as out of the ordinary, and doesn't make me think there's some giant maintenance problem and every time any ride needs to be shut down it must be because it's "broken". It annoys me when I go and it happens, but...it happens. I think there are something like 30 attractions in the park, right? So even if 6 are down, theoretically there's still 24 other things to do. You can be pissed and in a bad mood and have it ruin your day, or you can go do something else fun. I mean, every time I go to Disneyland something happens that pisses me off, be it someone taking flash pictures on a ride, or standing up or touching the scenery and making the ride need to stop, or coughing on me, but you have a choice: glower or go do one of the other fun things to do there. That's part of the reason why they have so much stuff and can function with that many guests, because the whole park doesn't stop if a handful of things shut down, there's enough other stuff (theoretically) to keep people entertained.

I mean, if it's a one-in-five years vacation and your favorite ride you were most looking forward to and is the whole reason you booked your trip happens to be down for scheduled maintenance the whole time, yes, that's a bummer, but that's also something everyone, whether they go once in a lifetime or once a week has to deal with. It's always a possibility. Mechanical stuff with moving parts sometimes have issues.

An imperfect analogy: if you book a trip to New York for the first time ever and have tickets to a Broadway show starring your favourite actor and you've been looking forward to it for months and you get there and it's the understudy, but you still saw the show. Stuff happens.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    There could have been a power outage that delayed the opening procedures. An opening emplyee could have called out. The ride computer could have just crashed. Even a minor earthquake (small enough not to be noticed) could have caused ride computers to shut down.

Even if there was a maintenance issue, it doesn't mean that it was caused by a lack or maintenance or poor management. If a part fails (which can be due to a manufacturing defect) and maintenance showed up and replace the part to get the ride running again in an hour, I'd consider that a pretty respectable maintenance team.

Yes it sucks that someone was inconvenienced, but at the same time there is no reason to perpetuate the expectation that all attractions will always be open and the notion that it is unusual for them to sometimes be closed. In fact it is almost irresponsible to do so, and could just end up causing more disappointment later.
    It sounds like there were ride closures all around the park...meaning that would be one huge blackout that affected many more attractions than just the E-tickets. If an earthquake/outtage was the case, you'd see a cluster down, not sporadic closures all over the place.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Again, as it's been stated, there was magic morning that day. People were in the park for an hour. Absolutely, it bites when a bunch of stuff unexpectedly goes down at once, but the notion that it absolutely definitely had to be due to lack of maintenance and not the also likely possibility some guest did something/set off some sensor/made them need to stop the ride for safety issues is absolutely on the on the table. It's also not limited to Disneyland. Multiple rides temporarily need to be shut down throughout the day at any amusement park. Usually not all at once, but none of this strikes me as out of the ordinary, and doesn't make me think there's some giant maintenance problem and every time any ride needs to be shut down it must be because it's "broken". It annoys me when I go and it happens, but...it happens. I think there are something like 30 attractions in the park, right? So even if 6 are down, theoretically there's still 24 other things to do. You can be pissed and in a bad mood and have it ruin your day, or you can go do something else fun. I mean, every time I go to Disneyland something happens that pisses me off, be it someone taking flash pictures on a ride, or standing up or touching the scenery and making the ride need to stop, or coughing on me, but you have a choice: glower or go do one of the other fun things to do there. That's part of the reason why they have so much stuff and can function with that many guests, because the whole park doesn't stop if a handful of things shut down, there's enough other stuff (theoretically) to keep people entertained.

I mean, if it's a one-in-five years vacation and your favorite ride you were most looking forward to and is the whole reason you booked your trip happens to be down for scheduled maintenance the whole time, yes, that's a bummer, but that's also something everyone, whether they go once in a lifetime or once a week has to deal with. It's always a possibility. Mechanical stuff with moving parts sometimes have issues.

An imperfect analogy: if you book a trip to New York for the first time ever and have tickets to a Broadway show starring your favourite actor and you've been looking forward to it for months and you get there and it's the understudy, but you still saw the show. Stuff happens.
    Again, as has been stated, half the rides he listed arent even open for Magic Hours........

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelluh View Post
    It's funny how someone creates an account here, posts a rant, responds twice then, never returns again. At least I doubt he/she will ever return again. And here is everyone.....still debating. I love MC!!!!!
    So I am new to this forum and do not respond to each comment on this post I started. I'm not one of those that is constantly on forums and/or social media.

I did not create the topic to create debate, just point out I was disappointed (not mad) to find all these major rides down after I specifically planed a trip (airfare, hotel, car rental, Disney tickets, etc.) to Disneyland (NOT DCA).

This was my 20th trip in the past 40 years to Disneyland and it is really sad to see again and again the slow loss of quality Disney in putting in this park. I did not point out how much chipped and worn out paint, cracked pavement and lack of top quality landscaping I saw around everywhere and how many Disney staff were just chatting with themselves and not greeting/interacting with us (the paying guests).

The one thing that seems to be increasing to no end is prices (tickets, food, souvenirs).

Name:  DSC00180.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  115.5 KB
    Last edited by PDSchweitzer; 02-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.

I say you'll find anything if you look hard enough. As a guest, I'll visit the park and still have a magnificent time. Have I ever seen chipped paint or a breakdown? Sure. Do I let it ruin my day? No. Do I grow histrionic and immediately blame it on upper management? No. Because that's ignorant.

While I'm not negating the OP's original concern- it's unfortunate rides were down, but to immediately blame them on poor upper management is also ignorance.

In my opinion, you should have had a Plan B.

• Under that tree again!

90% is an A. 81 out 0f 90 is an A.

Disneyland Resort has about 90 attractions, 90 dining locations not including carts, and retail is a big number too.

Sometimes the glass if half full, if not, you are not going to be happy.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

I love how many of the die hard Disney fans are quick to defend Disney when it comes to unsatisfactory experiences. Simply excusing all the closures as "Stuff happens. Love it or leave it!"

Wasn't there a time that Disney was darn near perfect on every visit? I remember going as a kid and even as an adult in the 90's and seeing everything clean and perfect. No shipped paint. No burned out lights. No closures. They did their best to maintain the park at 100%. These days it's more like 75% is good enough. They already have your money when you came through the gate. Don't need to impress you anymore. Sorry if 4 major attractions are closed at the same time. How about a turkey leg and a time share opportunity?

If I were the OP I would have been very upset at such a start to a highly anticipated trip. It may not be a big deal to some of you that visit on a regular basis but for some that only get a chance every few years after saving their hard earned money and finally making it only to experience serious disappointment then it IS a big deal.

Sorry you had such a bad experience OP. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and maybe consider other vacation destinations next time.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast