Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Worst Vist Ever to Disneyland - Tue 02/04/2014

I have not visited Disneyland in 5 years (too long) and had this trip planned/booked for over 10 months. I purposely visit a Disney park in January or Feb. and only go on a Tue, Wed or Thursday to avoid lines and hot weather.

I go there last Tuesday 2/04 and ropes go up and ...

I go straight to Space Mountain. Sorry, not running right now due to problems.

Dart over to Indy - Sorry not running right now due to an issue.

Next door at Jungle Cruise - Sorry, not running right now due to an issue

Head over to The Haunted Mansion - Sorry, not running right now due to an issue

Head over to Matterhorn (it is now about 10:20 AM) only one side is running as the other side has an issue that the Maintenance staff are working on. Other side is working, but line wraps all the way around and is an hour wait (20 minutes after the park opens).

Also keep in mind that Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Subs, Small World and DD Railroad are all closed. I realize that their will likely be at least 1 major ride down since it is off season, but 4 majors down at the same time...

Now eventually (within 2 ~ 3 hours) all those down rides finally open, but doesn't those Disney management understand with 4 major rides closed, that having others down just has a huge ripple affect on every other ride line? You would hope that with 4 major closed, that they would staff up at night and really make sure all the other rides were running perfect well before the lines open.

Re: Worst Vist Ever to Disneyland - Tue 02/04/2014

I have been in line for an hour or more only be turned around at the very end because a ride went down, I have also been one of the first in line after a ride has come back up. I chalk it up to 'stuff happens'. Off season is a gamble, some attraction are down which makes the crowd smaller, but if anything goes sideways elsewhere it bottlenecks.

Rider safety has to come first though. I am sure that Disney (as well as practically every other major company) will error on the side of caution, especially in our very litigious society.

Yes, it bites. Stuff happens, though.

• Indiana Scott

It used to be that they would only pull down 2 E ticket rides at a time.
    Now there seems to be no limit. I understand that failures happen but 4 plus is way too many.

• Minion

I notice this a lot. What really blows is when half of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are down for Extra Magic Hours (yes, that's happened before)...what's the point of staying in the hotel if the one perk they offer me is only half as valuable as it should be?

In my last few (probably 3?) visits, I've noticed Disneyland's maintenance decline further and further. It got so bad the last trip that we made a game out of guessing which rides would be broken when we went in. I'm much less excited to go back this year because I know that a good chunk of my time will be spent waiting for broken rides to open back up.

• Monorail Junkie

You could have enjoyed the other attractions at Disneyland or headed over to DCA. It's not uncommon to have things not up and running right after rope drop, but it never ruined my day at the resort.

• keh!

Ah, that's a shame. That's happened to me once. Went to Space Mountain, it was closed. Walked to Indy, closed too. Haunted Mansion? You'd better believe it was closed. Alright, Big Thunder Mountain, then. Nope, closed lol sorry. Luckily I had an AP at the time and my sister and I were just, "... Let's go home."

Head over to Matterhorn (it is now about 10:20 AM) only one side is running as the other side has an issue that the Maintenance staff are working on. Other side is working, but line wraps all the way around and is an hour wait (20 minutes after the park opens).
    To be fair, on a Tuesday in February it's not uncommon for them to intentionally only be running one side of Matterhorn right when the park opens, issue or not. It's a bummer if the wait gets that long that quickly, and was probably at least partially due to the other things having issues, but only one side open on the Matterhorn is true like...I want to say 50% of the time I go there and it's not usually related to a mechanical problem. Or at least, the CMs didn't frame it that way at the time.

Letsf face it. Disneyland is getting old and creaky. Much of the attraction set needs to be nursed along to keep running and with record crowds and the upper management promoting the heck out of the place, there is little to no time to fix/upgrade/maintain.

This really should be expected when visiting this time of the year.

• Minion

Closed rides - the biggest downside of the off season unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    You could have enjoyed the other attractions at Disneyland or headed over to DCA. It's not uncommon to have things not up and running right after rope drop, but it never ruined my day at the resort.
    Of course that doesn't help much if the person visiting doesn't have a park hopper... You would think if they are going to have unexpected closures of more than 3 major rides they would provide free park hoppers to anyone that was otherwise getting the shaft. But I seriously doubt it will happen...

• Rock Star Minion

OP forgot to add: "I had a better time at Knott's."

(Just some hazing of the new poster, guys.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    Don't get me started on what a joke DCA park is. As I see it only the Radiator Springs and Hollywood Tower are true Disney quality / original rides. The rest are a joke as the whole DCA project in my mind is a huge failure.

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

It's off season - usually the time they take to do some maintenance before spring break. Something to remember the next time you visit off-season.
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast