Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My one problem with the Haunted Mansion

My friend pointed this out to me a few weeks ago, and ever since then, every time I go on the Haunted Mansion it irks me,

If you are coming into an already partially filled foyer, and aren't close to the elevator, you miss the most iconic line of the whole attraction.

While the initial monologue is played in the foyer, "Welcome Foolish Mortals" is only played in the stretching room, right as it opens and before anyone has barely anytime to enter!

I understand it's played in there as if to invite you in, but I feel that this line should be played in both the foyer, and the Stretching Room.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Re: My one problem with the Haunted Mansion

This could be easily solved by having the dialogue be louder and/or played right by the entrances to the portrait galleries so as to be clearly heard in the foyer. This is something that I feel isn't done quite right.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I always felt that the setup makes a large number of people miss the important and awesome dialog in these first few rooms. Maybe they could delay it a bit so that everyone hears it.

I've never heard it, but it doesn't really bother me. I've never felt like I wasn't getting a complete experience, and if you're telling me that one day I can go on an attraction and see or hear something that I've never seen or heard before, that's great. Those little nuances are what keep me coming back.

• formerly very helpful

As much as I love this attraction, including all of the dialogue, I don't think it's necessary for following the story. Nor do I think that the enjoyment is reduced by not hearing it.

•   
    • Minion

the attraction is best enjoyed when the crowds are lite. You can hang back and strol through the first couple of rooms you can then hear everything.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    the attraction is best enjoyed when the crowds are lite. You can hang back and strol through the first couple of rooms you can then hear everything.
    I totally agree. As for the dialogue, I do agree that "Welcome foolish mortals to the Haunted Mansion" could be delayed so everyone can hear it.

Yes. Besides the fact that when it's crowded some people talk over the recordings and you can't hear anything anyway.

• Rock Star Minion

Maybe some Operations person decided to increase throughput (i.e., capacity) by starting the monolgue earlier and having the elevator go down (or the walls rise up) at a faster rate.

No one here thinks slightly increased capacity is worth declining the experience by a few degrees (thanks, Kevin Yee!).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Ironically, this is something they do right at Walt Disney World, although they screwed up the foyer with the changing portrait.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Maybe some Operations person decided to increase throughput (i.e., capacity) by starting the monolgue earlier and having the elevator go down (or the walls rise up) at a faster rate.

No one here thinks slightly increased capacity is worth declining the experience by a few degrees (thanks, Kevin Yee!).
    I've always been told that the effect was intentional - to give a feeling that the host is leading you into the elevator room. I've never really had trouble hearing it unless the ride's full of people chatting (i.e., I haven't heard it in decades). To be fair, the chatting means I rarely hear *any* of the spiel that's not being recited verbatim by the regulars in the crowd until we're in the elevator.

Maybe just turn it up a bit in the room? It's not hard to remix and rebalance loudness to push something in the mix.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    Yes. Besides the fact that when it's crowded some people talk over the recordings and you can't hear anything anyway.
    yeah that irks me so I stopped going on it when it's busy LOL

EVERY attraction is best enjoyed when the crowds are light!
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

My only problem with the dialog in these scenes is the number of people loudly reciting the dialog themselves, as if people were there to hear their camp imitations over the iconic voice of Paul Frees.

The Genius of Paul Frees - YouTube
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

I always wait for the crowd to go ahead into The Stretching Room if I miss the first line. If a CM asks me why I'm 'lagging behind', I simply tell them I'm waiting for the next elevator and they've never had a problem with it.

I NEVER go through the beloved Mansion without hearing the first line.

NEVER EVEEEEeer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast