Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: The subs are going.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Not comparable, imo. This is an inexpensive fix to a ride closure. Creating an entire wall mural and having scaffolding up inside the lagoon shows a bit more than the Rocket Rods did. Not to mention Nemo is more popular than the rods were.
    Plus, in any insider account of the RR that I've read, they really DID intend on trying to fix the ride and get it back up and running, and were under fairly heavy pressure from management to get what was essentially the crown jewel of New Tomorrowland up and reliable.

My takeaway from the accounts I've read is that a substantial body of Imagineers realized the ride wasn't going to get the budget necessary to be feasible, and when presented with that closure used the opportunity to push the upkeep figures and rebuild requirements for stability to the fore, and that resulted in the ride's demise - after that sign went up.

Considering the scaffolding in place, the arrangements made for the disposal and reclamation of six million gallons of water, the public announcements AND the much more labor intensive wall structure... I think we're safely past that closure point RR hit.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Pilot EdForceOne

the tram murals outside was totally unnecessary... to me that is the strongest sign yet that they intend on reopening this year.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I believe this is a sign.

Guys I never meant this to be such a huge debate, I just wanted to see what you would think of what the CM said. I wanted to see if you guys think I should believe him.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by minivan2 View Post
    Guys I never meant this to be such a huge debate, I just wanted to see what you would think of what the CM said. I wanted to see if you guys think I should believe him.
    As you may have noticed, it's a little bit of a hotbutton issue.

If you want to stay clear of controversy and discuss Disneyland issues that don't have solidified opposing points of view, you might want to try...

er...

um...

Help me out?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    As you may have noticed, it's a little bit of a hotbutton issue.

If you want to stay clear of controversy and discuss Disneyland issues that don't have solidified opposing points of view, you might want to try...

er...

um...

Help me out?
    Churros.

Not everyone loves churros, but nobody really hates them enough to argue over.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Churros.

Not everyone loves churros, but nobody really hates them enough to argue over.
    What about strawberry churros?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Artistic integrity

At what point are people going to be convinced this is a refurb ... and not some ploy to make it look like it's a refurb?
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

^ This

Stop comparing Rocket Rods to Nemo Subs. Totally, completely different ball park. RR could not even run properly and broke down regularly.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• film975

The Rocket Rods were only around for about two years or so. And the Submarine Voyage didn't malfunction nearly as much as the Rocket Rods did. And needless to mention how much of a mess it made of the People Mover track. It's still too bad though Disney isn't taking full advantage of this refurb to finally do something so it's no longer sitting up there empty and unused.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    At what point are people going to be convinced this is a refurb ... and not some ploy to make it look like it's a refurb?
    Whatever they are doing, they certainly aren't in a hurry to do it. It's been nearly two months since the ride closed, and there are still no signs of anyone actually working on it.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Whatever they are doing, they certainly aren't in a hurry to do it. It's been nearly two months since the ride closed, and there are still no signs of anyone actually working on it.
    Umm.

Actual, serious question.

Is this either A) Sarcastic and missing a smile, or B) you replied before the pictures Tomorrowland_1967 posted had loaded?

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Umm.

Actual, serious question.

Is this either A) Sarcastic and missing a smile, or B) you replied before the pictures Tomorrowland_1967 posted had loaded?
    Not sarcastic. There is no people in the pictures he posted. Contrast that with the images that Mint posted of the work being done on Space Mountain.

And after being announced three months ago, no one has provided any solid explanation for what they are hoping to accomplish during said rehab. Not even the Disney Parks Blog. Isn't that strange?

It took them a month after the ride closed to even drain the lagoon. For a rehab that would have taken months of planning.

Actually strike that, because we know that they didn't have a plan for this rehab since cast members have posted here saying that they were forced into a holiday training schedule to accommodate it.

As much as I am convinced that Disney has no reason to lie about the attraction coming back, this is certainly a very bizarre rehab to watch unfold.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Not sarcastic. There is no people in the pictures he posted. Contrast that with the images that Mint posted of the work being done on Space Mountain.

And after being announced three months ago, no one has provided any solid explanation for what they are hoping to accomplish during said rehab. Not even the Disney Parks Blog. Isn't that strange?

It took them a month after the ride closed to even drain the lagoon. For a rehab that would have taken months of planning.

Actually strike that, because we know that they didn't have a plan for this rehab since cast members have posted here saying that they were forced into a holiday training schedule to accommodate it.

As much as I am convinced that Disney has no reason to lie about the attraction coming back, this is certainly a very bizarre rehab to watch unfold.
    First, there is indeed a worker present in one of the pictures.

Second, how often do they lay out more than what they've already posted (repaint, rehab etc. in one of the initial blog posts)? Not frequently from what I've seen, and this rehab doesn't appear to be scheduled for any significant time frame beyond what a standard once-a-decade rehab for the subs required.

As to the aberrations in schedule, a little thing called Big Thunder Mountain Railroad may easily play a role in that. There are only x number of maintenance hours to go around, and there were dates involved outside of the Disney properties - you don't just dump 6 million gallons of water down the toilet. You need to clarify, notify and schedule with the County. With BTMRR's schedule flexing all over the calendar, I'd be more surprised if everything went exactly on schedule than the opposite.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast