Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 LastLast

• the subs were cool maan

Re: The subs are going.

I know its best to ignore what Cast Members say, but what one Monorail driver told me the other night stuck with me because I can relate to it from a worker-to-corporate level.

I asked if she thought the subs were going away/coming back. She said she honestly has no idea, and that NO cast member really knows OR will know until a few weeks before it opens/an announcement for a new ride. I work at a furniture store, so of course people are always asking me "WHens the next sale/when does it end" and similarily, we dont know until right before it begins/ends. Obviously its an entirely different corporation I work for and its an apples to oranges comparison, but I can believe that over some cast member saying "Yeah, they're coming back" or "Nope, star wars is taking over". DO you really think DIsney is going to "only tell certain CM's the truth on their plans" and not others? Nah. None of them know exactly, they just know of the "Rumors". She also commented it would be unlikely because of Finding Dory coming out soon, she speculated (using that word exactly, Speculate) that they might be adding in new elements from that movie to coincide with Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. I think she's on the right level, thinking wise, because that makes more sense to have it open with new "finding dory" elements, as Disneyland celebrates its 60th anniversary, then to have a huge construction site during the middle of the 60th anniversary for a Star Wars ride. If anything, they'll wait to see how Episode 7 fares with people via Market Research to determine if its popularity warrants a ride adaptation.

Commenting on the Rocket Rods comparison, the fact that the entire lagoon has been drained and ONE person is seen doing work is alot stronger of an indication that something is happening. I remember going to the park seeing that "Rocket Rods will re-open" sign and seeing ZERO work being done on the ride. Furthermore, even if they were going to remove it, we wouldnt know at this point. Until we start seeing each submarine disappear, and/or being removed from the park and shipped away on the 5, any speculation on if they will return/be removed is just that. Speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy View Post
    I know its best to ignore what Cast Members say, but what one Monorail driver told me the other night stuck with me because I can relate to it from a worker-to-corporate level.

I asked if she thought the subs were going away/coming back. She said she honestly has no idea, and that NO cast member really knows OR will know until a few weeks before it opens/an announcement for a new ride. I work at a furniture store, so of course people are always asking me "WHens the next sale/when does it end" and similarily, we dont know until right before it begins/ends. Obviously its an entirely different corporation I work for and its an apples to oranges comparison, but I can believe that over some cast member saying "Yeah, they're coming back" or "Nope, star wars is taking over".

Commenting on the Rocket Rods comparison, the fact that the entire lagoon has been drained and ONE person is seen doing work is alot stronger of an indication that something is happening. I remember going to the park seeing that "Rocket Rods will re-open" sign and seeing ZERO work being done on the ride. Furthermore, even if they were going to remove it, we wouldnt know at this point. Until we start seeing each submarine disappear, and/or being removed from the park and shipped away on the 5, any speculation on if they will return/be removed is just that. Speculation.
    I concur with both your points. I've asked similar questions out of some cast members and most of them will give you an answer that is way blown out of proportion or that you obviously know is not true. However, there are a few cast members who tell you the "truth" that they honestly do not know and that checking back frequently for say an attraction reopening is your best bet. I feel like the most experience cast members will up front tell you that they honestly don't know anything and that TDA is making those decisions instead of trying to just give you some random answer just to give an answer.

As well, in comparison to the Rocket Rods, they have made much more progress than they ever did on RR. The day that I was there at the park, I did see Imagineers touring the lagoon with hard hats and there were a few workers over on the docks working on two of the subs and so I definitely think that they are working on it, its just the matter of that not much has gotten done yet for what ever reason (focusing on Big Thunder, shortage of labor, etc.). Also, the half a dozen people working on Subs that day were more than the two I saw working on Small World later that night, so I do think that refurbs seem to be going a lot slower than they once did. If anyone has counted the subs outside at the dock, you'll notice that there are seven of them. Presumably the eighth is in the dry dock by Small World and the roundhouse and who knows, they might be working on that particular submarine first for the time being, but no one but the maintenance workers and TDA would know for sure.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• film975

The more I read about both rumors of the Subs closing permanently and more Star Wars possibly moving into Tomorrowland... the more I think of a line C-3P0 himself said in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.

"These... are getting quite out of hand. Even I can't understand their logic at times."

• Artistic integrity

Disney created 4 large murals on their construction walls, stating the subs will be back Fall 2014. Some preferred to stick to the unsubstantiated rumor that it is closing.
    Disney built scaffolding all around the docked subs, with a platform. Still the rumor of closing for good persist.
    Disney is putting up more scaffolding around the lagoon ... with this picture. Yet, some still believe the subs are going.

Isn't it obvious at this point, this is a refurb taking place, and not some elaborate fake thing happening?

Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-19-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Not the Hawkguy

I have a Subs question that has always bugged me. How does the track actually work? Is it like a guide rail such as JC or the Canal Boats, or is it a more rigid, like a standard roller coaster?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    I have a Subs question that has always bugged me. How does the track actually work? Is it like a guide rail such as JC or the Canal Boats, or is it a more rigid, like a standard roller coaster?

See the picture above your post. That is the guide rail that the sub rolls along going out the bottom of the photo.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Artistic integrity

I think what he means - if the subs FLOAT just a hair above the track, and work as a "guide" ... or if the track fits SOLIDLY into an assembly mechanism attached to each sub.

I'd like to know myself.

Just makes me think ...
    Pretty smart engineering for 1958 ... when the subs, the track ..all of this .. was engineered and built. And never built before - ALL NEW technology. Yet ... a 2nd wheel for the Big Thunder locomotives is all too hard!! Disney of today just couldn't care!

Lets hope the subs are here for a long time .. because Disney's TRACK record of today (pun intended) .. is not to build something technological innovative ... but something less!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-16-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I think what he means - if the subs FLOAT just a hair above the track, and work as a "guide" ... or if the track fits SOLIDLY into an assembly mechanism attached to each sub.

I'd like to know myself.
    This is exactly what I'm asking.

• "Always On The Move..."

I have a friend who is fairly high up in the Disneyland cast hiarchy. When I asked them about the subs, I also got the answer "I don't honestly know." They also SPECULATED that it seems to them like they are working on the subs and that they probably would be back. But that it was pure speculation on their part and not to take that as gospel. That whatever happens, the CMs will find out immediately before the public does. They are waiting to see like the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• DL Vistor Since 1968

The submarines roll on the guide channel.

• Under that tree again!

They sit, rest, lay, in the track. They don't float above it. The roll on the guide channel with vertical and horizontal wheels. They recharge batteries when in dock and have propellers that are electrically driven.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    They sit, rest, lay, in the track. They don't float above it. The roll on the guide channel with vertical and horizontal wheels. They recharge batteries when in dock and have propellers that are electrically driven.
    Ok, this is what I was wondering. Thank you!

The subs do float slightly above the track and it has wheel guides below it to guide it through the attraction.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    That whatever happens, the CMs will find out immediately before the public does. They are waiting to see like the rest of us.
    So ... it makes no difference there is scafolding going up in not just one place but several .... even the CMs think it's all just some big magician's type show huh?

That's just ridiculous!

It's more than obvious at this point that it's up for rehab.

To continue this charade this is some big elaborate hoax .. is beyond funny.
    MY SIGNATURE:

Wow! Such a neat trick. All these fake scaffolds set up to make us think they are rehabbing the ride! Best magic trick in the word!

Wow, they sure have put in a lot of effort and $$$ into "retheming" Nemo to a "Submarine Ride Under Refurbishment That You Can Only Look At But Not Ride"
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 LastLast