Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: The subs are going.

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I still don't understand all this vitriol for the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Granted most don't like how the computer animation replaced the amazing animatronics that used to part of the original ride. But I believe it was a good compromise... considering the expense of maintaining them underwater.

I think the Imagineers did an amazing job trying to make the screens look like they really are underwater. I would hate to see it replaced by Star Wars. The Subs in that lagoon are a great piece of atmosphere for Tomorrowland. But if the Indiana Jones Adventure, would you want to see that dismantled just because of that?
    I hate that ride, you'd have to pay me a lot to ever get my on that thing again. It was never a very comfortable ride, but then it became nauseatingly boring too. Probably the biggest waste of money in DL history.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Fowler'sINN

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Another thing that i would like to know. Did Disney not think about the expensive maintenance cosr when they brought it back? Is it more than the original ride? They should have known the original was expensive. Did they really thought they could cut down the cost?
    No way to tell that far in advance. The technology for the battery system is quite new and it is hard to forecast the life of the battery. Wait till everyone's Prius becomes 7 years old and see how their batteries are holding up.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by FowlersINN View Post
    No way to tell that far in advance. The technology for the battery system is quite new and it is hard to forecast the life of the battery. Wait till everyone's Prius becomes 7 years old and see how their batteries are holding up.
    The Prius's (Priui?) have been around much more than 7 years and their batteries have held up better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    The Prius's (Priui?) have been around much more than 7 years and their batteries have held up better than expected.
    That's very true and I wonder if the subs use something similar along those lines (Lithium-Ion) that hold up well. I can't say the same about the batteries in the Boeing 787 Dreamliners though...
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Fowler'sINN

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Ok the Prius example probably wasn't the best, two completely different things.
    But my pervious comment should shed some light to the heavy costs associated with this ride.

• Donald's #1 Fan

I wonder if, when the subs return, MiceAge will claim their coverage "saved" the subs.

They are the only ones claiming they'll go away, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by FowlersINN View Post
    One of my good friends got a Nissan Leaf as soon as they were available. He told me recently that the range has significantly fallen off from what they had learned to expect. The battery replacement is probably going to be $4k - $5k - and..... what will the industry do with the used batteries ?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    and..... what will the industry do with the used batteries ?
    There are battery recycling facilities and environmental regulations about what can be done with them. They'll be sent in to be broken down, recycled and cleaned up.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

Another thing that i would like to know. Did Disney not think about the expensive maintenance cosr when they brought it back? Is it more than the original ride? They should have known the original was expensive. Did they really thought they could cut down the cost?
    They did do things to cut operational expenses...

They changed how the underwater stuff was painted.. to extend the life and require less upkeep
    They changed the propulsion systems of the subs.. to reduce the maintenance required to maintain the engines
    They converted to dry-sets for the majority of the ride.. to get much of the ride out of the water, making them last longer and easier to maintain

They did a lot.. and there was a lot of nostalgia behind the effort. But they've had expenses that were higher than predicted, as well as a lukewarm reception for the attraction.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    There are battery recycling facilities and environmental regulations about what can be done with them. They'll be sent in to be broken down, recycled and cleaned up.
    Actually right now most of the batteries for electric cars are not very recyclable. That's part of what makes a Tesla so appealing. The battery is something like 60% recyclable.

I wish Disney was still interested in innovation. It would be so cool if Disney managed to design a super effecient and fully recyclable battery for a Tomorrowland attraction that they were then able to sell to car companies.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Actually right now most of the batteries for electric cars are not very recyclable. That's part of what makes a Tesla so appealing. The battery is something like 60% recyclable.

I wish Disney was still interested in innovation. It would be so cool if Disney managed to design a super effecient and fully recyclable battery for a Tomorrowland attraction that they were then able to sell to car companies.
    I would be more than happy if WDI could pioneer a technology like that, seeing how they have done so much in the past already. Speaking of recyclable, besides moving most of the indoor sets to screens and reducing the amount of water in the showbuilding, another cool thing is how they used recycled glass to make paint that is more fade resistant under water and produces brighter, more vivid colors. So far that paint seems to have held up pretty well and I haven't seen much fading even when the sub lagoon was completely dried up a few days ago. The one thing I'd like them to fix is to rearrange the seating inside the subs for more room or more capacity but I have the feeling that they were afraid to do that because they'd lose the "grandfather clause" that allows them to keep the Marine Observation Post that makes Nemo ADA compliant. Nevertheless, I still think they definitely made cost saving measures where they could before starting to rebuild the attraction in 2006 and that this is simply routine maintenance.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    They did do things to cut operational expenses...

They changed how the underwater stuff was painted.. to extend the life and require less upkeep
    They changed the propulsion systems of the subs.. to reduce the maintenance required to maintain the engines
    They converted to dry-sets for the majority of the ride.. to get much of the ride out of the water, making them last longer and easier to maintain

They did a lot.. and there was a lot of nostalgia behind the effort. But they've had expenses that were higher than predicted, as well as a lukewarm reception for the attraction.
    What are they?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Senior Minion

What are they?
    I don't know all of them, but I know they had major problems getting the subs and the film and audio to all sync together and they basically had to redesign the ride system after the project was supposed to be complete. Also, the projectors supposedly go through bulbs at a rapid pace, the drivetrain system is not a cheap to operate as they had hoped and the lagoon is leaking.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I don't think it is realistic to expect Disney can innovate in the battery sector. Research institutions and industry far better positioned to profit off breakthroughs in those areas are already struggling enough to do that.

Part of the reason that so many of the robotics, ride systems and other high-tech stuff Disney includes in their attractions are now outsourced is due to the simple reality that it no longer makes financial sense for them to pioneer those fields like they once did. I do hold out hope to see more innovations similar to ToT where an industry leader is approached to joint-venture on something new.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I wonder if, when the subs return, MiceAge will claim their coverage "saved" the subs.

They are the only ones claiming they'll go away, AFAIK.
    They are not. From WDW1974 this past Monday on WDWMagic.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Oops, in my quickee post earlier today I forgot to mention that DL actually has FOUR E-Tix down this holiday weekend. The subs are already history in my mind so I somehow excluded them. ... But seriously, can you imagine if MK had that many attractions closed? That point slams home the superiority of Walt's Park in multiple ways.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast