Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Meet Patti Burke, head of Lucasfilm's...Theme Park Division?

I doubt this points towards anything happen soon or at Disneyland. It's probably more getting things lined up for future possibilities since Pixar ended up creating a theme park division.

I guess I'm in the minority... I think Disneyland could handle Starwars in Tomorrowland, I love the idea of the Tatooine bar... I hoped for aliens walking around in the plaza and intergalactic space port vendors....
    it's not for forever (just till the next concept) and makes more sense than the steampunk ideas (though that would be fun too)
    the Tomorrowland plaza is just begging for some more atmosphere....

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
    Was browsing around Lucasfilm's new website, when I stumbled upon their executive team. The one that caught my attention was Patti Burke, who is now head of Lucasfilm's theme park division.

Here's the link.

I may be wrong, but it might suggest what is to come. Her past position as head of Disney's Imagineering theme park division makes me believe there might be a much larger Star Wars park project, Disneyland or elsewhere, in the works.

What do you guys and gals think?
    That's interesting. I think as others have said this is just a wise step on Disney's part to organize themselves internally once major LFL-related theme park projects start to get greenlit.

About the third gate discussion going on, it's obvious the "ideal" solution is to put a Star Wars Land (and an Indy land) in another park. But we can all agree that that's not happening before December 2015. What is happening on December 2015 is Episode VII is opening in theatres worldwide. And there is no way Disney will avoid leveraging any way they can getting more Star Wars somehow into their Anaheim theme park by the time that film opens. With little over a year for planning and construction to make that happen, it can be minor (a new movie replacing Captain EO) or major (placemaking (is that the right word) Tomorrowland exteriors into a Star Wars theme and possible adding a new ride). But frankly, we SW fans should really just get ready to see that happen inside Disneyland way before we see a third gate happening. Disney rightly wants to get their $4.1 billion investment back as soon as possible, and I can't blame them.

After Episode VII opens in December 2015, I believe there's still a lot preventing a third gate from actually happening, at least in the short term anyway. Both Disney and the city of Anaheim would need to work together, right, to anticipate traffic and parking solutions related to opening a third gate in the area. That's what I remember reading about in past articles and threads. I see that taking some doing, besides the obvious fact of the park itself taking (I'm guessing) 3 to 4 years to build once it's announced.

Personally, I believe when the third gate is announced, it will be have the footprints of many Ewoks, Wookies, Stormtroopers, galactic princesses and Jedi, among other fanciful additions (I'm hoping for Verne-esque stories, The Incredibles, Marvel Comics, and the like). But with Iron Man, Thor and soon Captain America making Innoventions their home, I'm resigned to seeing the Star Wars universe expanding in Tomorrowland...not very long from now. Not my first choice. But I'll live.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
    Was browsing around Lucasfilm's new website, when I stumbled upon their executive team. The one that caught my attention was Patti Burke, who is now head of Lucasfilm's theme park division.

Here's the link.

I may be wrong, but it might suggest what is to come. Her past position as head of Disney's Imagineering theme park division makes me believe there might be a much larger Star Wars park project, Disneyland or elsewhere, in the works.

What do you guys and gals think?
    First off, her position at Imagineering was head of Production (not a significant executive role), not head of the theme park division.

As for the rest of the link, there wasn't anything to indicate anything relating to any particular Lucas/Disney parks projects.

I wouldn't try and read anything into the bio.

• Artistic integrity

*ackm*

Read post #59

The subs are going.

I'm slowly becoming less worried for the DLR .. as a space is an issue. But in WDW .. they could build an entire park devoted to Star Wars, with whole lands dedicated to entire planets if they wanted to.

It would be there big Potter Swatter.

Maybe they wouldn't ... but I just don't see how anyone in the company expects to shoehorn just 2 or 3 new Star Wars attractions into Tomorrowland, with only being of decent size, while the other 1 or 2 are more minor.

If they want to milk it .. for all the money they expect off of Star Wars fans .... then they need space to do it!

Like they said in Jaws - We need a bigger boat!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    But with Iron Man, Thor and soon Captain America making Innoventions their home, I'm resigned to seeing the Star Wars universe expanding in Tomorrowland...not very long from now. Not my first choice. But I'll live.
    Well, lets remember ... nothing is Long-term Permanent when it comes to what resides in Innoventions. It's one big exhibit hall, with stuff that rotates in .. and rotates right out the door.

It's hard to believe Innoventions opened in 1998 ... here we are in 2014. It's hung on for 16 years. Hard to believe! CoP 6 years .... America Sings 14 years ..... Innoventions has outlived them all! Only because Disney refuses to make Tomorrowland a priority!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Well, lets remember ... nothing is Long-term Permanent when it comes to what resides in Innoventions. It's one big exhibit hall, with stuff that rotates in .. and rotates right out the door.

It's hard to believe Innoventions opened in 1998 ... here we are in 2014. It's hung on for 16 years. Hard to believe! CoP 6 years .... America Sings 14 years ..... Innoventions has outlived them all! Only because Disney refuses to make Tomorrowland a priority!
    That could make anyone sad. It shows how much of a priority the park is to the WDC. The CoP and AS we're incredible shows... Yet we are stuck with a Best Buy instead.

• Heavy Breather

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I do not mind more Star Wars in the parks. As long as DL's Tomorrowland isn't overrun with it, it'll be fine.
    Now with WDW, Hollywood Studios needs that proposed LucasLand with Star Wars and Indiana Jones attractions.

I know some people may find it appalling to see "non-Disney" properties in their parks. But here's the thing, Disney owns those franchises now. PIXAR, Marvel, The Muppets, Lucasfilm, they're all apart of the Disney family now. I myself am an outrageous nerd (behind my Sith Lord facade), so the prospect of having these franchises (Star Wars especially) is very exciting to me.
    Sure we already have Star Tours which is a classic, but Star Wars and Indiana Jones, I believe, have enough staying power to have a larger presence in the parks. Rant over, Vader Out...

• Special Agent

It is interesting that this exec seems to have a creative background. My first instinct was that she may have been in place before the Disney buyout to manage the theme park licenses. Considering she comes from a creative background she must be acting as a liaison between the Imagineers and the creative team behind episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Maybe they wouldn't ... but I just don't see how anyone in the company expects to shoehorn just 2 or 3 new Star Wars attractions into Tomorrowland, with only being of decent size, while the other 1 or 2 are more minor.

If they want to milk it .. for all the money they expect off of Star Wars fans .... then they need space to do it!
    You keep presenting this false dilemma. There's no reason at all that they couldn't add Star Wars to Tomorrowland AND also add it to a third park. In fact, the best idea would be to leverage the natural demographics split between the different Star Wars properties in a way that maximizes ticket sales. Keeping the original Star Wars properties (Episodes IV-VI) in Disneyland proper, where the audience skews slightly older, and then putting the newer materials (Clone Wars) in the new park would almost certainly guarantee a multi-generational family will buy admission to both.

And as I said before, saving Star Wars for the third park (which probably won't happen anyway) doesn't fix the problems with Tomorrowland.

Putting Star Wars in Tomorrowland is a win-win. A fix for Tomorrowland and the inclusion of one of the most popular franchises in history.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Putting Star Wars in Tomorrowland is a win-win. A fix for Tomorrowland and the inclusion of one of the most popular franchises in history.
    Imo, it is hardly a fix for Tomorrowland. Clobbering Tomorrowland with Star Wars will further dilute the optimistic message Tomorrowland is supposed to convey from the dedication plaque, for Star Wars portrays a rather bleak and grungy future with more corruption than one can imagine.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    Star Tours is getting up there in age chronologically,
    I didn't realize that three years constituted "getting up there in age".
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    And as I said before, saving Star Wars for the third park (which probably won't happen anyway) doesn't fix the problems with Tomorrowland.
    I agree, and the more I think about it, I wouldn't mind if Tomorrowland just became Star Wars Land. (Blasphemy, I know.)

Look, I love Tomorrowland. It was my favorite as a kid, and in some ways it still is. But the things that really made it Tomorrowland are largely long gone, and many of those would be horribly outdated if they were still around anyway. No more Adventure Thru Inner Space. No more Mission to Mars. The subs aren't really "Tomorrow" anymore, not the original version and certainly not the Nemo version. There's the Monorail, but that's not really futuristic anymore. The PeopleMover is gone (and the Rocket Rods had little to do with "Tomorrow"). Innoventions isn't particularly futuristic and seems to be more about promoting the Marvel franchise lately than anything else (and let's face it: It's not a star attraction, and few would shed a tear if it left). Space Mountain still fits to the same extent it ever did, but it was always a stretch in that a space-themed roller coaster isn't really about "Tomorrow" as much as it is about playing with a motif. Same for the Astro Orbitor. BLAB is great fun, but it's not about "Tomorrow" in the slightest way (not that the Circle-Vision Theater really was either).

Tomorrowland has actually been Science Fiction Land for well over a decade at least, and even before that it was losing its "Tomorrow" flavor just by virtue of how dated some attractions were getting. And ever since the 1998 "retro future" re-theme, "Tomorrow" hasn't been a big part of the land at all. They haven't changed the name, but they've changed the meaning.

Don't get me wrong; I'd be thrilled to see the PeopleMover back, the Astro Orbitor back on its original platform, etc., but I don't think that's happening, and I doubt any of you do, either. A complete Tomorrowland revamp to put it back on course with its original concept would be great, but that doesn't seem to be on the horizon. At least as Star Wars Land it could have some sense of coherence again. Or I guess they could just rename it SciFi Land and be done with it. (I hope not.)

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

What if they go ahead with the space port theme and use that as the center of a sort of disney space expanded universe? Like a space port with buzz's star command, star tours terminal, and space mountain. All the space based IPs could exist and come together here. Non star wars expansion could coexist with all the coming SW attractions.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Interesting they have a Theme Park division now. Implies more than just Star Tours these days
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I didn't realize that three years constituted "getting up there in age".
    The attraction, even though it's been "revamped," has been there since the mid 80s. Star Tours has been there a long time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast