Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: Mark & Steven's Fairy Tale Disneyland Wedding

Awesome, romantic story of how you met. Thanks for sharing.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Great back story. You guys planning to adopt or surrogate, or haven't got that far yet? Being childless has its financial benefits (to the tune or about $350k these days to get them to post-college adulthood, but it has its benefits as well in seeing the joy from taking them to Disney.

•   
    • Minion

Congratulations to you two!!! Your story is wonderful. I wish you all the very best for a beautiful future together.

I have to say, I'm not interested in marriage myself and I usually don't like reading about other people's weddings - but I'm absolutely loving this thread, all of your photos and posts, and your plans. I hope you will continue to post here and let us all follow along.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    The story of your love left me with tears in my eyes. I'm an 'old (figuratively! LOL) married lady' who definitely believes in love at first sight. I was a VERY cynical 'I hate men' kinda girl (due to some bad 'choices' I made) years ago when I first laid eyes (literally) on my DH and said to my BFF "I'm going to marry that man someday!". He was to be the best man & I the maid of honor at her wedding and she hadn't even introduced us yet! We were married less than a year later. A true 'coup de foudre'! Even after all these years, raising 2 sons, a few 'spats', and life's normal ups & downs he can still set my heart racing by just smiling at me in 'that way'.

It doesn't matter who you are, or whom you choose to love. Those of us who have found our life's companions are truly blessed!

Oh, btw I did check on the renewal ceremony. For what I'd like it would be around $12,000 for 20 people. OUCH! If my DH has one 'flaw', it's that he is NOT a Disney fan & he was not at all, um, enthusiastic. But on the other side, he did point out how many Disney vacations I'd be able to pay for with that amount of money. LOL. So, I'll just continue to live vicariously through you two.
    Thank you so much. Yes, as you found out even a simple ceremony with Disney can be quite expensive. Nothing they do is cheap. If we were paying for it, it would be a whole other story and ceremony. lol We'd be heading to Vegas or something.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Great back story. You guys planning to adopt or surrogate, or haven't got that far yet? Being childless has its financial benefits (to the tune or about $350k these days to get them to post-college adulthood, but it has its benefits as well in seeing the joy from taking them to Disney.
    We did think about adopting for a fleeting moment a couple years ago. We got that "itch" and looked into it and the cost. His parents would have been thrilled I know, but the more we thought about it and me pushing 50 and some health issues, we didn't want to take the chance and decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Congratulations to you two!!! Your story is wonderful. I wish you all the very best for a beautiful future together.

I have to say, I'm not interested in marriage myself and I usually don't like reading about other people's weddings - but I'm absolutely loving this thread, all of your photos and posts, and your plans. I hope you will continue to post here and let us all follow along.
    Thank you and I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'll keep them coming all year. And I have to agree, marriage isn't for everyone. We were against it for many years, until something changed within us and now it's all we can think about. Funny how things changed since the beginning.

So who's coming?.....

There's been times since we made the decision to get married, then moved to the craziness of a Disney wedding, was who was going to be able to come? I know that having a wedding halfway across the United States, causing people to have to spend money on flights, hotels, park tickets and spending money, was going to be a difficult thing to do for most. It's the main reason that we chose a date so far in the future, despite the desire to not want to waste time and have it happen sooner. We wanted the people that truly wanted to come, to have as much time as possible to save money and make plans.

I know that because of our decision to get married in California where marriage is allowed, (because we sure as hell know Texas isn't going to be allowing it soon, although just a couple weeks ago a federal judge ruled the ban on same sex to be unconstitutional), many of our friends and family wouldn't be able to come. Having my family back home in Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska and Steven's family here, added to that difficulty even if we would have decided to get married here in Dallas. No matter where we did it, there would be complications.

Since we sent out our Save The Date, responses started coming in committing to attend. We have close friends, some family coming and even friends that we've never physically met, but over the past many years have become close friends through various Disney forums we've been a part of for years. They've become a 2nd family to us, that completely get our obsession and can relate. We're blessed to have met them and it's going to be amazing to finally meet some people at our wedding for the very first time. Having met a few of the Disney family already, I can tell you this is going to be one crazy time. Some of us had the chance to spend a weekend at Disneyland last year and this year some of us are going on a Disney cruise on the Fantasy for 7 days in August. Yet there are still Disney family we have yet to meet and will see them for the first time at the wedding!

Bringing family, chosen family, friends and Disney family all together at one time, should be interesting and amazing to say the least.

I wish we could accommodate everyone and I wish that everyone could be there to share the day with us. It's hard knowing that some people I want won't be there, but it's something I have to accept and move on. The day's going to be amazing and I know that even if some aren't there, they're happy for us and wish us the best.

Maybe we can consider having some sort of party after we get back from California and are back from our Honeymoon.

Time will tell.....

Our close Disney family, Wally and Paul.

Moving at a snails pace.....

Things are moving along. Not as fast, as I would like it to, but what can you do? We're at the place where we really don't have much to do on our end or any major decisions to make. We had a scare for a little while about our 2nd visit with the wedding planner. Disney requires you to meet with them twice before the wedding (to milk you for all the money they can, knowing that anyone getting married at Disneyland, is obviously a Disney Nut and will make it into a vacation).

The second meeting is dealing with food and cake tasting and making final preparations and decisions if needed. We made plans for the tasting to be in September, a few weeks after we get back from a Disney Cruise on the Fantasy. That's a lot of Disney in only a few weeks. I'm sure we'll manage. We made our DVC (timeshare) reservations as well. Then when we tried to verify, Disney had no recollection or plans for the tasting with the Chef's. At all. That threw us into a bit of a panic. Time off from work had been submitted and approved, reservations made, plans set in motion. I don't like plans not working out or changing. It's just in my nature to freak out. Which I did, of course.

Luckily, recently we got confirmation that the Chef's could meet us on our original weekend we had set in September to go to Disneyland. That was the last bit of planning we have at this moment in time. Budget is submitted and done. They haven't emailed us about anything and we haven't had any more contact with them. I feel like I need to hear from them every couple weeks to keep me sane. I'm sure they're busy.

A few more people have committed to going and friends are now discussing hotel booking and the specifics of what to do and when, which is good. Christmas time at the resort is a crazy time, so it's best to be prepared and have everything done early.

So being 9 months out, it feels like time is dragging and will never get here. We're not having to do the normal planning that most people do for weddings, so at times I feel like we're just sitting here waiting for the date to get closer before I have to start popping Xanax.

The one thing that we get asked most about our wedding, is Cinderella's coach. Oddly enough, people are so curious about it and what will happen. It seems the people we've talked to who want a Disney wedding, want to make sure they have this as part of their Fantasy wedding. We were no different.

The coach will pick us up at the Disneyland Hotel and drive us ALL the way over to the Rose Garden, which is probably a 30 second drive. It cracks me up. It will feel like those times you valet, and you can see your car parked 10 feet from you, yet you make the valet go get your car and tip him 5 bucks anyway. The coach will stay parked and as a backdrop during the ceremony. One of the Coachmen, will be our ringbearer. I won't know much more about that piece probably until our rehearsal. After the ceremony is complete and everyone heads to the pre-reception, we will get back into the carriage for a ride around the resort. I'm honestly not sure where we will go for that entire hour, unless the horse walks at a snails pace. Again, another item I guess we'll find out when we get there. Eventually after riding around in circles we'll be taken to the reception for our grand entrance.

Luckily, I'll have a full hour to get my emotions back in place. I swear this is the reason for the ride around the resort.

• Elk Grove Chris

Congratulations guys! I would almost crash just to take some photos of the amazing accompaniments you have planned, awesome.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    Congratulations guys! I would almost crash just to take some photos of the amazing accompaniments you have planned, awesome.
    lol Thank you! I was actually wondering how much people can see or have access to during the 3 parts of the wedding. Guess we'll find that out quickly too.

How do we do Disneyland.....

Some people are planners. Big planners, especially when it comes to going to Disneyland or Walt Disney World. You people know who you are, so I won't point you out.

Not us. We put very little thought and planning into our trips to Disneyland. The first couple times, sure. We now know when to move from one park to another when one gets too busy, or what to ride when the parade, fireworks or various shows are going on. We know which rides to tackle first thing in the morning and which ones late at night. We know when to avoid Fantasyland with it's 1000's of children. No offense to the kiddies. It's just a nightmare of screaming and crying children, irritated parents and strollers with razorblades for wheels that slice up your ankles.

We also know the best times to see shows, great spots for parades so you don't have to camp out for hours. Same goes for Fireworks. We know the best times to eat and where. We know how to utilize the FastPass system to bypass long lines, picking up a fastpass, then go ride a few other attractions, coming back to our FastPass required time to ride.

I know it all sounds really complicated, but it's truly not. All it took is a few visits before we felt like pro's. Stick us in Walt Disney World and we just wander aimlessly and try to wing it. What works, works and what doesn't, doesn't. We just roll with the punches and do what we can when we can.

Not everyone might like our "commando" (and I don't mean not wearing underwear) style of handling our time at the parks. We walk in, soak up the atmosphere, grab some coffee and breakfast, purchase our days set of Mickey ears, buy our pin lanyard and a few pins to start, and off we go. The rest of the day? It's wandering around, seeing what has a short line, picking up Fastpasses when we need, catch the parade if we're there at the right time, relax on a park bench and people watch and then start the whole process over......and over. Until we finally feel like we achieved what we wanted and call it a night with a nightcap or five.

Then we do the same thing the next day and the next day, until we make sure we've ridden everything and seen every show and parade. Sometimes, spending our last day doing nothing but our favorite attractions over and over.

How will we handle it during Wedding Extravaganza Weekend? Pretty much the same way. Since most attendee's will be spending at least Saturday in the park with us, we have 3 things scheduled. Character breakfast at park opening, lunch at Cafe' Orleans and dinner at Carthay Circle. We know some will join all 3, others will join only 1 or 2. The rest of the day, we want people to feel free to join us all day, or spend part of the day with us and explore things on their own if they like.

We want to make sure every guest enjoys their experience, especially our Disneyland Virgins. We like having a minimal plan for meeting up, but the rest of the time allow freedom for everyone to "do Disneyland" as they see fit.

A win win for everyone!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Thanks for sharing all your wedding planning deets and taking us on this journey with you! I'm not sure if I've just been lurking or if I've said CONGRATULATIONS yet, but I'm sure you can never hear it enough times!! So Congratulations, on your wedding, on this new chapter, and for a lifetime of cherished memories and unforgettable experiences! Cheers!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Thanks for sharing all your wedding planning deets and taking us on this journey with you! I'm not sure if I've just been lurking or if I've said CONGRATULATIONS yet, but I'm sure you can never hear it enough times!! So Congratulations, on your wedding, on this new chapter, and for a lifetime of cherished memories and unforgettable experiences! Cheers!
    No problem. I'm really enjoying sharing our experience. Tough thing is that with having Disneyland organizing so much at this point, I'm hoping I can continue to find stuff to share until we get closer.

And thank you so much! Enjoy the updates!

• Chief Troublemaker

Oh Goody! More wedding stuff!

I'm looking at my first visit (in 20 years) to DLR in high season this coming August. Your way of doing Disneyland sounds perfect. Guess I'll have to 'go commando', too!
    Last edited by Stormy; 04-01-2014 at 06:06 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Tiki Dancer

Congrats, guys! I look forward to more updates and photos!!!

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

I've loved reading your posts. Congrats! I look forward to seeing more!

• Minion

Keep updating, please!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast