Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Mark & Steven's Fairy Tale Disneyland Wedding

A while back when I posted our trip report, that included quite the surprise proposal (we both planned it the same weekend, but he beat me to the punch), many asked that I start a wedding thread, discussing our plans and many things about a Disney wedding. I've already started a wedding blog, but will post the entries here along with pictures, and then continue to update everyone for those who would like to follow.

Re: Mark & Steven's Fairy Tale Disneyland Wedding

Here comes the Bride......*wait a minute*

The last thing I thought I'd ever be doing in my life was to be getting married, let alone have a wedding website and blog. Who would have thought? I had a blog for number of years that I wrote in daily with almost 1000 readers a day and made so many friends. I miss it still. Maybe this year of wedding blogging will rekindle my love for it? Time will tell. Facebook eats up enough of my day. I just tease Twitter every so often.

I always thought I'd be that perpetual bachelor, dating here and there, maybe have a serious relationship thrown into the mix to shake things up a bit. The past was filled with good and bad, but nothing ever seemed to last. The moment I met Steven, I knew that day that my life would change. It took us a while to make dating official, but once we did my life did change forever. You know the feeling you get when you meet someone and when they leave, your heart aches? Yeah, that sort of thing.

After spending over 7 years together, not once did I think we'd be getting married legally, or even a commitment ceremony for that matter. Texas will go down kicking and screaming before they pass a gay marriage law, but some day it will happen. Give them time.

I didn't think we were the types that wanted marriage or a ceremony, or so we seemed to say to one another. Being in love and spending the rest of your life together was enough, right? If someone would have said I'd meet my soulmate, buy a house together, raise two dogs and that we'd have Disney in common so much that we'd go to Disney 2-3 times a year, own a Disney timeshare and have an entire guestroom and bathroom dedicated to nothing but Disney, I'd say "no way, not going to happen, you're crazy!". To be sitting here now, writing in a Fairy Tale Wedding blog, along with all the countless blushing brides out there and I would have thought you would have been certifiably nuts, especially if you said I was going to be able to get married at Disneyland Resort.

That last one I swear hasn't sunk in yet, even after meeting with the wedding planner last weekend at the Resort.

I think the feeling I had when I found out it was truly happening, was anxiousness, dizziness and a slight feeling of being nauseous, but in a good way! Like having a panic attack but followed up with hugs, kisses and pats on the back rather than popping a Xanax. It was real all the sudden. We were doing this. Mickey might be at our wedding and we're going to ride in Cinderella's coach!

It still puts knots in my stomach. So much to do, so much to plan, so many details to figure out. Good thing I'm letting Steven do most of the work, so I can just sit back and stress and panic. Also a good thing I have no hair left, because by the end of next year I wouldn't if I did.

He's so good to me.

So hopefully for the next year everyone will enjoy ramblings from myself and hopefully Steven as well. We will share some stories, post some pictures, tell you how the planning is coming along and for those coming to the wedding next year to share in our special day, to make you excited as hell to come to the wedding and spend a few days with us at our home away from home.

Disneyland.

Name:  6025410519_77b0c3fef9_z.jpg
Views: 2751
Size:  199.9 KB

So much to do.....

I can admit openly and honestly, that I am not good at planning. You would think for someone who is such a control freak and OCD issues, that I would be able to focus and plan an event like a wedding. Nope, not me. I start looking at the big picture and immediately get overwhelmed, not knowing where to start. So instead, I stare blankly at all the papers, lists and pinterest board and do nothing. Luckily, Steven has a knack for organizing stuff like this and I can stand on the sidelines for advice or opinions.

Everyone knows I like to give both......

We have spent a few months since the day we decided we were going to do this thing, adding items to a private pinterest board. Everything from tuxedo ideas, to table settings, colors, cakes, floral arrangements, food, drinks. You name it, we pinned it. Not sharing much of the information has driven me insane. Everyone knows I like to share good and fun information. I'm good at keeping a secret, just not in this sort of situation. I want to tell everyone what we're doing!

This past September trip we met with our Disney Fantasy Wedding Planner as well as the Floral/decor person. Both were so sweet and made us feel welcome and "at home". They seem so excited to help plan this wedding. After filling out a 25 page document with what we want, they basically take it from there, asking us a few questions. We spent a couple hours telling them the look and feel of our wedding, likes and dislikes and testing the waters and seeing what they can and can't accomplish. We found out for the right price, there's not a whole lot Disney WON'T do.

Over the course of the next year, we will share some information as ideas and things progress.

One of the things that we're most excited about is how much our guests are going to be able to enjoy not only the wedding, but our love of Disneyland. That time of year, the park will be in Christmas mode, full force. It's one of the most amazing times of the year. A feast for the senses. Every area of the park decorated, carolers singing, the smell of cookies and handmade candy canes being made. Every night the Castle lighting happens a few times, a Christmas parade and fireworks and it all ends with it snowing....in California....in December. Now, that's something to experience.

Who knows. Maybe some of that magic will make it's way to our wedding and reception in some form.

Name:  11313860703_985f0aa7dd_z.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  71.5 KB

Every wedding has a theme....
    One of the hardest parts about planning a wedding I think is the colors, theme, flowers and decor. Luckily, we aren't nerdy enough to have a Medieval theme or Star Wars theme. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. More power to you on being bold and adventurous and a little bit quirky. Some might call us nerdy for having a Disney wedding. It's not like we're going to have tons of Mickey balloons, everyone wearing Mickey ears and characters running around, with It's a Small World playing on loop. We didn't want anything too gaudy and over the top, yet we wanted it classy, beautiful and of course magical. I honestly don't see how people do this for a living.

The other difficult part is getting two people to agree on everything or at least know when and where to compromise. Some things I don't necessarily have much of an opinion and others, I'm opinionated as hell. Take food for example. I'm not a foodie. I enjoy great dining experiences, but the food comes second. It's like I eat to survive. I'm not a overall lover of food. So when it came down to choose what we served at our wedding for pre-reception and reception, I nodded my head a lot and said, "Whatever you feel is right and what you want." Cake? I'm sort of picky on the type of cake and what it looks like, but overall as long as it's beautiful, I'm fine.

Can I mention again how much of a loving, caring and understanding fiance' I have? We really haven't bumped heads at all in this process. We've agreed on most everything. I'm the one that just stops ever so often and ask, "Are we sure we want to add this or that as an added expense?"

But when it comes to the decor, floral arrangements and the overall feel and theme of the wedding, I had more than enough opinions to go around for everyone. I even mentioned in the first wedding planning session with our wedding planner, that this is the only thing I'm very clear on what I want to see when I walk into the wedding garden and reception hall. Our wedding will take place December 5th, at the height of the Christmas Holiday season at the resort. We were adamant that we didn't want anything to have any sort of Christmas theme, but we did want to make sure we had some sort of wintery feel to it. Icy, cold, flocked/frosted twigs, snow, white flowers accented in a light steel blue color, tea lights and of course white lights covering anything that's not tied down and icy blue uplighting everywhere.

This should give you an idea of the feel for the space and ideas for table center pieces. Keep in mind these are only ideas for them to work with and that the finished product, cross our fingers, is something they can emulate.

The scary thing is that we just have to sit back and wait. Do they do mock ups and send us pics or will we show up and see the finished product and hope we like it? Can they make tweaks and changes last minute? Maybe I need to follow up on a few things to know what to expect. I don't like surprises.

It's when Groomzilla will appear ......
    Name:  floral (337x500).jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  207.7 KB

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Yay! I'm so excited for this thread! Congrats again to you both!!

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XxBellaThornxX View Post
    Yay! I'm so excited for this thread! Congrats again to you both!!
    Hope you and others enjoy it Brittany!

• Chief Troublemaker

Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!! A Disney Wedding thread! AND your Special Day is also Walt Disney's Birthday (& the day after my mine)!

Congratulations to both of you. Love is the greatest gift that life gives us and I'm so glad you have found each other.

Now DO be sure to give us all the wonderful details during your planning, with plenty of pictures!!! We PROMISE we won't tell!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!! A Disney Wedding thread! AND your Special Day is also Walt Disney's Birthday (& the day after my mine)!

Congratulations to both of you. Love is the greatest gift that life gives us and I'm so glad you have found each other.

Now DO be sure to give us all the wonderful details during your planning, with plenty of pictures!!! We PROMISE we won't tell!
    Oh there will be pics thats for sure and more details about what disney offers as well as price points, which honestly can be the biggest shocker. It's funny how we picked the day and didn't pay attention to the fact it was Walt's Birthday. It's a nice coincidence.

I have about 3 more posts from my wedding blog, then after that I'll update here when I update my blog.

It's all about location......
    As of today we're sitting at 290 days until the wedding. I know that seems like a lot to most, but you would be surprised at all of the items we have to have finalized early and deposits made way in advance. To insure we have someone for photography and videography, we had to secure that date soon with someone, so as of last week we have that done and deposits sent. What a relief to know that's done and taken care of. Based upon what I've seen of their websites, we picked some good ones. They both had a different style than the traditional wedding photos, as they seemed more relaxed, candid and not staged.

We are anything but traditional.

Another big item off our check list, was to secure was the wedding rehearsal dinner. For those who watch the Housewives of Beverly Hills or Vanderpump Rules, we're going to Lisa Vanderpump's restaurant and bar, called SUR. This one almost made me wet myself. If she is there and comes by our table, I probably won't be able to hide my squeals. I love me some Lisa.

The last few weeks have also been solidifying the budget. The worst part of any sort of wedding planning. Hacking and cutting our way through the pages and pages to make sure we're including things we really want to have and others that were nice, but not needed. Once we saw some of the prices Disney loves to charge for things (scared to even tell you), it makes you take a step back and as yourself, "Is Mickey at our Wedding really crucial to an amazing wedding experience?" Especially since guests wouldn't get the chance to have pics taken with Mickey, only us.....and for 30 minutes. We kicked Mickey to the curb.

It all wasn't difficult to do, but realizing what was important and what wasn't.

What's left for us to do? Honestly, I don't feel we have a lot. It's the nice thing about having Disney take care of the majority of it. You tell them what you want, approve and sign off. Our next visit with the planner in person is September, where hopefully we'll have the tasting and maybe see some mock ups.

Good thing we're only doing this once.

Awwww, how exciting! I look forward to your pictures and hearing about how it went. I never thought I'd get married, either, of course it's enough to have someone who loves me, right? But then we looked at each other one day and the thought hit us both.

We wanted to get married.

I second your thought: only doing this once. And ours was easy.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Selfie Expert

So... I'm likely going to be at Disneyland celebrating my daughter's first birthday on the day of your wedding. If you have an opening...

Kidding! Well, I totally wouldn't decline, because holy moses this sounds AMAZING! I've recently become obsessed with Vanerdpump Rules after being an avid watcher of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. So, I will be an enthusiastic follower of your posts!!

And I really hope I get the chance to congratulate you two if I am there at the same time!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Chief Troublemaker

The restaurant is lovely! The first & third pictures just scream Winter Wedding!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    So... I'm likely going to be at Disneyland celebrating my daughter's first birthday on the day of your wedding. If you have an opening...

Kidding! Well, I totally wouldn't decline, because holy moses this sounds AMAZING! I've recently become obsessed with Vanerdpump Rules after being an avid watcher of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. So, I will be an enthusiastic follower of your posts!!

And I really hope I get the chance to congratulate you two if I am there at the same time!
    Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet. We have about 50 people coming, so there will be a LARGE group of us all over the parks that weekend. Many people going have never even been to Disneyland, so it will be exciting to show them around and why we love it so much.

Hand me a tissue.....

I'm an emotional person. Anyone who's known me for any length of time, will nod their head vigorously. I cry at the drop of a hat. It doesn't take much to cause the waterworks to flow. I've always been this way and the older I get, I seem to find myself crying easier and at more things than before. I was even discussing this on Facebook recently, that it seems to be happening more and I can't figure out what is going on. Is it an age thing? Am I getting even more sentimental as the years go by, than I was when I was young? I'm sure I am. It's not a bad thing and I'm the first to admit that I have no shame in being an emotional and sentimental person, who cries easily. No reason to take my man card away.

Why am I worried about all of this? I'm an ugly crier. Really ugly. Like, what the hell is wrong with you ugly. I can't simply stand there, with a few tears flowing down my face and nonchalantly wipe them away and keep going.

Keeping that in mind and despite the fact that Disneyland is our "happy place", the chances of getting teary eyed at Disneyland are even higher. Don't ask. Disney is just damn good at pushing those emotional buttons. Remember sobbing after the first 10 minutes of the movie UP!? Kills me every time.

Combine Disney's emotional mind screw with our wedding and this boy is totally screwed. Although Steven might not admit it, he's just as emotional, but somehow he has more control than I do.

Luckily, I have a huge supply of Xanax.

Someone needs to teach me how to cry pretty........

Otherwise, I'm only going to show the back of my head during the ceremony.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by zeitzeuge View Post
    Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet. We have about 50 people coming, so there will be a LARGE group of us all over the parks that weekend. Many people going have never even been to Disneyland, so it will be exciting to show them around and why we love it so much.
    I will definitely be keeping an eye out for you! What an experience for everyone involved!!

I'm an ugly crier, too. Not quite Kim Kardashian ugly cry, but close.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast