Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

I know the Matterhorn and Space Mountain have had their tracks rebuilt. So why is it

...that Space Mountain is smoooooooooooth and the Matterhorn is a nightmare to ride?

My family *loves* the Matterhorn. My son is crazy about the "Abobobobobominable Snowman". But we can't bear to ride the thing more than once. It's bumpy and it hurts.

I have no particular recollection of how it was during 1990-, when I started visiting the park. I *suppose* it was rough. But lately, it has become too much. Like a bad wooden roller coaster.

So, if they re-did the tracks, shouldn't the ride be smooth as butter?

Or does it have to do with the turning radii, or the method they used to flex the metal? Or the type of sleds? Or...?

I just wish the Matterhorn could become a smooth ride....

• Minion

Re: I know the Matterhorn and Space Mountain have had their tracks rebuilt. So why is

Changing the track doesn't do anything I suppose, since the sharp curves are just as sharp as they were before, and it doesn't help that the new bobsleds are considered to be uncomfortable.

• Special Agent

Re: I know the Matterhorn and Space Mountain have had their tracks rebuilt. So why is

Track layout and tandem bobsleds. For what it's worth, I've always thought the Fantasyland side was much smoother than the Tomorrowland side.

• Artistic integrity

The monkeys who designed the new bobsleds did jack for padding!

I wonder how long it will take them to fix this problem.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Under that tree again!

Have you ever been on a bobsled? It's not a smooth ride.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Have you seen the Olympics? Riding a bobsled is not supposed to be smooth. And riding a bobsled on a rocky mountain is definitely not supposed to be smooth.

Riding a spaceship in space, on the other hand... smoooooth!

• Minion

ORWEN: But we're talking about a Fantasy type version of a bob-sled ride that shouldn't be as bumpy as the real thing in real life.

ORGOCH: Folks gotta protect their bones 'n backs, ya know. Got law suits pendin'?

•   
    • Minion

Ummmm I am not sure the reason the new sleds are so uncomfortable is because they wanted a realistic experience. I think they just went on the cheap. There is no excuse for a plastic unpadded seat. This is a theme park not the Olympics. IMO and this is just me of course I believe they completely ruined the attraction. I used to ride it so much now I skip it. The seats are that bad IMO.

•   
    • Minion

I agree with Biggsworth. IMHO the bumpiness isn't so much about authenticity as it is about the facts that the sleds have no padding and the riders are very low and close to the wheels. Even if WDI wanted to call a rocky path to mind, I'm sure the original intention wasn't to leave the riders with aching backs, as the new sleds do.

I used to love the Matterhorn and now I usually walk right past it. Those sleds hurt.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

I find the bumpiness of the ride to be kind of random. I am not sure what causes the difference. Sometimes I get off and im fine, other times I can barely get out of the seat. In general, the Fantasyland side is smoother, but that isnt saying much

• Donald's #1 Fan

Ah... they changed the sleds! Forgot about that! I should have remembered the Matterhorn as bumpy... I guess it wasn't that bad before!

Wait, but they're not "new" sleds. They're new to the Matterhorn but they were the old WDW Space Mountain vehicles.

• I'm not really here

If you want to get right down to it... it is the seat backs.
    On the previous incarnation of the sleds, the seat backs were flat across so as you hit corners hard and slid around, you didn't hit anything.

The current seat backs curve out to "hug your body." But when you hit a hard turn and your body slides sideways, you slam into those edges and they dig into your ribs and shoulder blades.

The sitting position in the new sleds is also more cramped, but for me anyway, the vast majority of the pain now comes from the seat back situation.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Minion

^^ exactly my situation the bottom of my spine gets rocked hard and it's painful.

• MaliBOOMer

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't find the Matterhorn painful. Not even slightly, it's bumpy sure but I'm not feeling any pain as a result. The bumpiness makes it more fun, if it was glass smooth it wouldn't be fun as it is pretty slow.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast