Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Radically Different People Mover Idea!

Hey all,

I have to share this with you - please tell me what you think but I think I have come up with the perfect solution for the People Mover beam way!!

I got thinking (dangerous I know!) about the ride system, it's old name and what could replace it that is

*Timeless
    *Fanciful
    *Futuristic

AND BOING! IT HIT ME LIKE A ROCKET ROD AT FULL SPEED!

My new idea for the Beamway is (Drum Roll please...)

THE WORLD'S LARGEST AND MOST ELABORATE MOVING WALKWAY!!! - For all Intents and Purposes, A People Mover, Right?

The ride would follow the exact same path as always but is basically one huge flat escalator/ travelator that features the usual moving handrails only with flip-down seats and speakers attached. If you wish you can sit down, stand or walk whilst riding! The Attraction's Capacity would be (needless to say) ridiculously high and commentary could be added with speakers fitted to the fold down seats. If you enjoy a particular show scene enough you could even stay around in it for a little while or if you need to move along, just walk and you'll be zooming... NOW THAT'S A PEOPLE MOVER!! As far as practicality goes, the floor layout could be similar to the parts between long 2 -piece bus floors/ Trains or even Airport Carousels!

Additionally, the entire ride could be enclosed (like a Space Bubble/ Glass Tube) that could also be conveniantly air-conditioned!

OK, OK, OK I'm sure I will get my share of obstaining points of views on this and fair enough too but think about it seriously folks! This idea could have some REAL potential, don'tyafink?!?
    Last edited by Mickey_D; 02-01-2006 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo on heading!

• Small Projects Team

Re: Me radically different People Mover Idea!

hahaha, that's unique and clever. But I don't think I'd be able to watch anyone going on that without bursting into laughter. It's like waiting in line for a ride that doesn't exist, but the line moves automatically.

Um...yeah. I think there may be a rule that any outdoor escalator or moving walkway needs to have a cover over it which might or might not work for the entire course. Also, if it breaks down, it then becomes the world's largest walkway. Of course, you would have "fire escapes" placed along the route for those instances. Sounds good, but I don't see it happening. It would be cool if there were several locations where you could board/deboard. By the way, where is there a theme park show with "flip down seats" that move in a continuous loop?

^ Point taken, multiple entry /exit points could be added - one in the original spot and the others by the Monorail platform and inside Innoventions (where the Tron speed tunnel once stood). The Platform itself would always be moving (Unless of course Break down) and of course is PERFECTLY Wheelchair accessible!

I was referring to the flip down seats that are featured in many Theme park Shows/ Cinemas that can allow for people to walk past easily when flipped up - As the ride would be one continous loop it could easily feature such seats to better allow for Walking or Standing Traffic. The speakers would be attached beneath the seats somehow and the seats themselves would be connected to hinges that are attached to the moving handrails on either side of the walkway.
    Last edited by Mickey_D; 02-02-2006 at 03:49 AM.

Another thing too! This concept would be listed in the Guinness World Records as the Largest moving walkway! It is an innovative development on the Omnimover concept that wouldn't necessarily cost that much to build/research

You can tell I'm just a tad excited by this idea! Maybe if you guys think so too then let this thread stay up long enough to get noticed by the right people.

OK, I'm going to get down off my box now

• Disneyland Resort Lover

Re: My Radically Different People Mover Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_D
    Hey all,

I have to share this with you - please tell me what you think but I think I have come up with the perfect solution for the People Mover beam way!!

I got thinking (dangerous I know!) about the ride system, it's old name and what could replace it that is

*Timeless
    *Fanciful
    *Futuristic

AND BOING! IT HIT ME LIKE A ROCKET ROD AT FULL SPEED!

My new idea for the Beamway is (Drum Roll please...)

THE WORLD'S LARGEST AND MOST ELABORATE MOVING WALKWAY!!! - For all Intents and Purposes, A People Mover, Right?

The ride would follow the exact same path as always but is basically one huge flat escalator/ travelator that features the usual moving handrails only with flip-down seats and speakers attached. If you wish you can sit down, stand or walk whilst riding! The Attraction's Capacity would be (needless to say) ridiculously high and commentary could be added with speakers fitted to the fold down seats. If you enjoy a particular show scene enough you could even stay around in it for a little while or if you need to move along, just walk and you'll be zooming... NOW THAT'S A PEOPLE MOVER!! As far as practicality goes, the floor layout could be similar to the parts between long 2 -piece bus floors/ Trains or even Airport Carousels!

Additionally, the entire ride could be enclosed (like a Space Bubble/ Glass Tube) that could also be conveniantly air-conditioned!

OK, OK, OK I'm sure I will get my share of obstaining points of views on this and fair enough too but think about it seriously folks! This idea could have some REAL potential, don'tyafink?!?
    how do you expect for the seats to work?, part of a moving walkway is like it is a giant conveyor belt, which means there would be no way for seats to be on it, im sorry but i think the idea isnt that great, the space could be used in a much better way
    DISNEYLAND GUY

It is an innovative development on the Omnimover concept that wouldn't necessarily cost that much to build/research
    So how much would it cost? It might be more than you suspect. Also, a moving walkway that turns corners? How would that work? Would the walkway be made of those interlocking "scallop" shaped sections which would fit together? The walkways, speedramps, etc. in airports and theme parks, Vegas resorts, etc. are usually broken up into sections. If it were to work that way, I don't see how the flip down seats would work. Also, those existing moving walkways: How much equipment is UNDER them to make them work? All of that would have to be under the elevated moving walkways. Sorry, I just don't see this working, unless your an engineer and you've already got it figured out.

Not only would this be the World's longest moving sidewalk, and the only one that makes right and left turns, but it would also be, to my knowledge, the only one that would go up and down hills, as the old Peoplemovers/Rocket Rods did. How that would work has not been explained.

• Ooh boy!

Oh, you know that people would be stupid and start walking opposite the direction that the ride is going.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

You were watching 'The Jetsons' again weren't you?

• defenestrate

As a person who has the almost overwhelming desire to jump onto the baggage claim conveyer everytime i am at an airport i would just like to say that this sounds like fun. i have as much fun running up the conveyer at the end of haunted mansion as i do riding the ride.
    "Just because a guy can slay a dragon dosn't mean you want him to marry your daughter" -Orson Scott Card

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I love this. The tube on the outside could be translucent colored tubes. It would look like a giant habitrail for hampsters. It's great, it would even be entertaining for the people outside to watch people trying to navigate through.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

What they need to do is just announce a replacement already, let alone we still have to wait all that time for t to get built.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Banned User

Its sounds ok, but i dont think it will happen. There is too much work, and the track goes up and down, so it could be somewhat dangerous. It would also be a good way for punks to vandilize the park! Im pretty sure there are some ppl that always wanted to jump off and see the props up close(like me, but i wouldn't do it). We just have to be patient and wait, im sure they'll think something up, after all Tomorrowland, is improving,....right?

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen
    So how much would it cost? It might be more than you suspect. Also, a moving walkway that turns corners? How would that work? Would the walkway be made of those interlocking "scallop" shaped sections which would fit together? The walkways, speedramps, etc. in airports and theme parks, Vegas resorts, etc. are usually broken up into sections. If it were to work that way, I don't see how the flip down seats would work. Also, those existing moving walkways: How much equipment is UNDER them to make them work? All of that would have to be under the elevated moving walkways. Sorry, I just don't see this working, unless your an engineer and you've already got it figured out.
    I really appreciate your feedback and glad to hear many of you would like the idea! Another ad-on to it: You could illuminate the inner side of the Tube tunnel's to change colour at night with Fibre-optics or WHATEVER!!

In response to the above quote, Disney have already imagineered a whole range of new ride systems and made them work - the unique thing about WDI is that they tend to think up an idea first and then work out the technology of how to do it!

The moving platform technology is fairly simple - soft rubber flooring that features circular shaped plates that allow the moving platform to turn corners. The round shapes would also allow the platform to bend down flat when moving up or down hill (who ever said it has to go in the same direction it always did?!?) Brushes would be added to the floor sides to stop feet and finger trapping! The moving handrails would feature circular cupped pieces that bend just as easily.

As the entire ride (perhaps bar the show scenes) is enclosed in a bubble/ tube, there is no jumping off. Videa cameras and staff would be on hand to man things like Vandalism which are monitored perfectly well in other Disney Park Rides.

Finally if fitting seats to the moving handrails is their only problem in creating such a project then I'd say they haven't got a problem at all! Carriages fit to Ominover tracks, over head rails etc. Think of the handrail as a track and find a way to safely attach the seat to it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast