Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Went today. Gripes aplenty inside!

This thread is awesome!

No, all week of Presidents' Day is busy. Always is.

• The doctor is in

I talked to a CM working the merch cart outside Haunted Mansion and she told me we were lucky we weren't visiting the following week. She said the entire week of Presidents Day is often as busy as Christmas time.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• I am number 4 of 999

I feel like warmer temperatures would have absorbed people into Splash Mountain, and it's a small world seems to always be a people eater. Take away those two, with virtually no entertainment (Map was dark two days, I believe, no fireworks or Fan! with only one parade)and yeah, the crowds were pretty badly managed.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• 2013-14 Premium APer

The reasons that Peter Pan always has the longest rides in Fantasy Land are many:

1) It is one of the last few rides operating that were there on opening day, and it was last majorly updated in 1983.
    2) It has one of the longest average load times of any ride in the park
    3) It has one of the lowest average riders per hour in the park

Basically you can't pack as many people through the ride as on others.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    And we are not going to the parks AGAIN this year because what we feel is a diminished experience. It simply isn't worth the price of admission anymore to us and we are spending our vacation dollars in Hawaii this year instead.
    The condition of the park, number of rides inop. and overall value has to improve.
    I'm choosing instead to spend 10 days on a fabulous cruise starting in a week. Also, a 7 day cruise in October, all for less than a trip to Disneyworld, with many fewer children (and absolutely no strollers), many fewer people overall, excellent food, and comfortable accommodations.

We're pretty much limiting ourselves to zero to one Disney visit a year, as the value just isn't there any more with the park stuffed full of locals using it as babysitting.

seems like most of your gripe is concerning wait times when it should really be no surprise given that the majority of schools are off for President's week. the parks were a ghost town when we visited the previous week.

it would also be nice to have rides open year round but I'd rather have them refurbished and worked on than to be taking a high speed turn on Big Thunder only to have something horrible take place due to lack of maintenance. I wouldn't mind if Disney reconsidered being closed a few months out of the year.

but the real problem is a lot of people aren't too fond of the direction the park is going yet they say, "oh well, I'm not going to stop visiting." It would take a huge drop in attendance for Disney to do something different but that will never ever happen.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die.
    --> Zero to Hero Transformation

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Peter Pan isn't much of a surprise for me. That ride usually has an average wait of 45-60min on any given day.
    Which is actually why I liked working it. It kept things hopping. As the day progressed into evening and late evening, sitting on SW cycling empty cars could get a little tedious. Pan always had a line right up until the very end of the evening. Kept your night moving and gave you guests to interact with all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Starwarsgeeek View Post
    No, all week of Presidents' Day is busy. Always is.
    Has it historically been this bad, because I recall going a few years back a few times during Presidents week break and not having any issues with crowds.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Has it historically been this bad, because I recall going a few years back a few times during Presidents week break and not having any issues with crowds.
    I'm getting older and my memory is dissipating by the year, but I worked at the park from '83 through '94 and as I recall, February was always dead. Long weekends might have been a little more crowded than the rest of the month, but not nearly as much as they are now. Nowhere near the crowds from what I remember. I know things were different back then though. One park, etc. And in my first year of employment at Disneyland, we were closed part of the week too.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I'm getting older and my memory is dissipating by the year, but I worked at the park from '83 through '94 and as I recall, February was always dead. Long weekends might have been a little more crowded than the rest of the month, but not nearly as much as they are now. Nowhere near the crowds from what I remember. I know things were different back then though. One park, etc. And in my first year of employment at Disneyland, we were closed part of the week too.
    I think this is a critical point. Back then, Mondays and Tuesdays could be used for a lot of concentrated maintenance, instead of "amortizing" it over longer periods.

Thanks for your recollections, CASurfer65. I have many fond memories of the Park in the Eighties. I sure do miss those days. And nights -- especially those last couple of precious hours (i.e. 11:00pm -- 1:00am), when the atmosphere changed to an even more magical state: almost a private wonderland, with so many other folks going home, yet, everything still up and running. Ahhh....

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I think part of that change might have to do with the fact that many more schools and districts give a holiday week in February now. That rolled in a lot of places in the 1990s.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by brendonb28 View Post
    people were waiting outside DCA just to get FP's for RSR and they were gone in about 5 minutes. We stood on line a 1/2 before DCA opened and we even had to wait 40 minutes for RSR in the morning. People were sprinting to get in line. Madness I tell you. One day the wait was 2 1/2 hours for RSR. Even the Peter Pan ride was an hour wait.
    When I visited 3 weeks ago on 2/04/2014 we used the Single Rider line for RSR and waited about 5 minutes. Fastpass and non-Fastpass lines were running about 60 minutes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234