Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Down Pluto!

Re: Does Disney need to keep basing every attraction on the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    very well said, mickeytheboss. Oversaturation of franchises in Disneyland is not a good thing imo. There needs to balance.
    Agreed - well said mickeytheboss. Too bad Disney didn't learn about oversaturation from the Disney Store era. Way too much of the sameness led to disinterest and plummeting sales. Do they think this could not happen to the parks? Or is that their secret plan all along?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Agreed - well said mickeytheboss. Too bad Disney didn't learn about oversaturation from the Disney Store era. Way too much of the sameness led to disinterest and plummeting sales. Do they think this could not happen to the parks? Or is that their secret plan all along?
    I believe it's a shift in operational and development perspective towards a more conservative philosophy. Go with the safe, the easily marketable, the more crowd pleasing. I'd also say this goes with a "don't let the audience have a second to catch their breath or think, just keep them moving and spending" philosophy, but that's another debate.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

[QUOTE=alphabassetgrrl;1057081144]Ok, fine. But what they're building isn't necessarily engaging or immersive. Nemo, anyone? Massive fail on that score in my opinion.

yes Nemo isn't very good , I didn't say disneys execution has been flawless on every
    Attraction based on movies. Only that it doesn't matter to me if the attraction is based on a movie as long as it is executed well. Maybe another discussion should be does Disney drop the ball on most attractions based on movies because they know people will come anyway / Disney puts more effort into original attractions because they have more of a blank canvas to make something great.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by mickEblu View Post
    Maybe another discussion should be does Disney drop the ball on most attractions based on movies because they know people will come anyway / Disney puts more effort into original attractions because they have more of a blank canvas to make something great.
    That would be a highly speculative, yet intriguing discussion. My gut feeling is you are correct, but possibly in varying degrees based on the attraction. For example - did they drop the ball as much with RSR as with BLAB?
    Last edited by Sambo; 02-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Personal opinion- that they don't bother putting much into movie rides because they know people will come anyway. Kids will come, which mean the adults will come with them. Kids don't notice them being one-dimensional, and maybe wouldn't care. They get to see the movie and characters they know.

Racers is maybe an exception- they put something new into it. You're in the race! It's immediacy, and it works. Buzz... kind of works. It's fun sometimes.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Not the Hawkguy

I'd say RSR and TSMM both work well, with BLAB to a lesser (but still high) degree. What makes them work is that they aren't straight retellings of a movie, which is TLM's problem. Nemo has that same problem, but it's magnified by the lagoon at the beginning being vibrant and colorful and engaging, then being followed up by 6 or so minutes of dark projections.

What seems to be the issue is that, for the better rides based on existing IP's released in the last 20 or so years (really since Indy), the ones that have used the IP as a jumping-off point for telling a new story have worked out much better than the ones that seem to copy and paste the existing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    That would be a highly speculative, yet intriguing discussion. My gut feeling is you are correct, but possibly in varying degrees based on the attraction. For example - did they drop the ball as much with RSR as with BLAB?

Not it at all, I enjoy both of these attractions. RSR because it is great ( although I wish the thrill portion was a little more thrilling ) and BLAB I ride almost everytjme in in the park because I love to compete against my wife / the wait isn't usually too bad. Neither are copy/ pastes of the movie, RSR Is really well done and BLAB is engaging, cardboard cutouts and all.

i think Little Mermaid, Winnie the Pooh and Nemo all have lots of room for improvement .
    Last edited by mickEblu; 02-21-2014 at 03:47 PM.

• film975

So based on the logic I'm getting from this thread so far... is that the Fantasyland dark rides are no good either because they retell the stories of the films they're based on? To me it doesn't matter where the idea of a good attraction comes from. Just as long as it's done well. But what's wrong with a park built by movie people basing attractions on their own movies?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    So based on the logic I'm getting from this thread so far... is that the Fantasyland dark rides are no good either because they retell the stories of the films they're based on? To me it doesn't matter where the idea of a good attraction comes from. Just as long as it's done well. But what's wrong with a park built by movie people basing attractions on their own movies?
    Honestly? Were they built today, I think you could look at the reaction to Little Mermaid. It's possessed of most of the problems that are glossed over in the FL rides: oddly shortened to the point of near nonsense plot, suspect decisions in showrooms that leave the inner workings of the ride exposed, etc.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    There's a reason those are B and C tickets and not E-tickets, and other then nostalgia, they're not the greatest rides.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    There's a reason those are B and C tickets and not E-tickets, and other then nostalgia, they're not the greatest rides.
    This is a very important truth!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Of course not. It's Disney feeling the heat from Universal's current success that is making them very IP-obsessed right now instead of just focusing on getting their parks fixed up with good concepts.

I wish the nonsense would just stop or at least take a short break. Rides like Mystic Manor and Expedition Everest show that Disney still has the knack for making original concept rides. This can be useful in areas in DL and DCA that are badly underfilled and need of attractions fitting to their themes. Not IPs that would have to be shoehorned in or kill the theming of the area altogether.

To me IPs are supposed to be secondary or at least alongside the storytelling experience of Disney, not ahead of it. That's more Universal's angle.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Of course not. It's Disney feeling the heat from Universal's current success that is making them very IP-obsessed right now instead of just focusing on getting their parks fixed up with good concepts.

I wish the nonsense would just stop or at least take a short break. Rides like Mystic Manor and Expedition Everest show that Disney still has the knack for making original concept rides. This can be useful in areas in DL and DCA that are badly underfilled and need of attractions fitting to their themes. Not IPs that would have to be shoehorned in or kill the theming of the area altogether.

To me IPs are supposed to be secondary or at least alongside the storytelling experience of Disney, not ahead of it. That's more Universal's angle.
    Exactly, Disney should be the leader rather than follow the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post

This is how I feel about the supposed plan to add more Star Wars to TL and the Marvel characters. There are some parts of those franchise that may work but are not being use. And they are using/ might use some parts that do not fit. Like Ewoks, Thor, Captain America, Tatooine's Cantina, etc. I think the best way to use Star Wars and Marvel is to wait, be patience, and use it for the 3rd park.

A movie that I hope they use for attractions/land (depending on what they'll have in the film) is Tomorrowland (film). It makes perfect sense.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• film975

I got a feeling that the Innoventions building will one day house a future Marvel attraction. I also think the character meet and greets they are putting in there now are preparation for that. I've been impressed with what they have done so far. It will be interesting to see how the Iron Man ride in Hong Kong Disneyland will turn out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast