Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Don't Let Yourselves Lose the Magic

Tomorrow will be the third trip I've made since buying my AP. What I'll do tomorrow is do some things I haven't done in a while or haven't done at all, like RSR. I'll spend a ;little more time in DCA than i usually do. I'll see the Muppet movie again in tribute to Jim Henson's son John, who died recently at the young age of 46 helping his son build an igloo.

That's what I do. I do things I haven't done in a long time. I sometimes save things till later. On my last trip, I went to Carnation for the first time since re-opening and had a cherry malt. $5 and it was worth every penny because it was BIG.

Try that.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Mouseke-Awesome

First, thank you for this post. I re-read it about 5 times all with a smile on my face.

And to answer the question of what makes me keep my magic while visiting the parks, it's all about making each trip unique. Soemthing or an event from each trip always stands out and makes it special.

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• :)

it takes my mind off my horrible job

• Done with MC.

I kept the magic right up until out last trip in 2011. That was such an awful experience that I just lost most of the passion. They had me, but they lost me
    I truly hope DL addresses the condition of the park. If I see evidence of a trend in that direction then we'll be back.
    But I won't stay blindly committed to the product. I must see a commitment from park management.
    JMHO.

Scott

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I can say that I still get that at Knott's. I worked in retail there decades ago when the park was nearly unrecognizable as what's there now. I still see things the way I trained myself to see them when I worked there - those displays are low, that door was left unlocked, those customers just darted behind a restricted door etc.

It bleeds over a bit into my Disney days.
    LOL ... yup. At DL I do have to stop myself now and again from stepping in and taking care of things that I'd normally need to deal with on the job (no, I don't work here, someone else needs to deal with this ) ... but on the other hand, if I see someone taking photos of family/friends/sweetheart I very often (kind of automatically) step up and ask them if they'd like me to take a photo for them so they can all be in the shot together (as I would when working in "my" park - years of training) - drives my dh batty sometimes, but the other guests always seem to appreciate it.

• formerly very helpful

Life equals pain. Therefore I really NEED my Disneyland whenever I can get it. It's not terribly hard for me to hold onto the magic inside the berm, since I know how impossible it is to get it out in Realityland.
    I also find myself really focusing on the "little" things in Disneyland which now hold some of the most magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    That's the hard part about having worked there, every time I look at something I see the backstage part of it in my mind and so there is no illusion for me.
    I work in theater, so I know how a lot of the "magic" is done, but it doesn't ruin it for me. I don't need to wonder how it's done to see it done well and admire it. I've seen backstage at Disneyland; it's cool. It's got to be there, to have the pretty part be so good.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I never ever respond to threads on here because honestly I see how nasty some people can be to others who post and that kind of scared me away. But after reading this tread, I just wanted to say Thank You! You said exactly what was on my mind. I logged on this morning for the first time in weeks, and almost every single thread were people complaining. It made me feel sick. People complain when a ride is needing some extra "tlc", and when the ride is down for a refurb, people complain about that! I just do not understand.
    I understand it sucks when your favorite ride is down, or lines are really long, but like somebody said, make your own magic! When you are waiting in a long line, enjoy that special time you get to spend with your family or friends and talk! Many of my favorite memories of Disneyland are when it has been really crowded I would sit on Main St with my family, enjoying a cup of coffee, and people watching! Just doing that is always so magical to me.
    So please, enough with all this negativity and nit-picking. People aren't perfect, Disneyland isn't perfect, and it never will be. Stop focusing on all the things that you think are terrible and focus on the good things! Be thankful that you actually get to spend time at Disneyland. Many people all over the world have much bigger problems than the fact they we had to wait 40 minutes in line for Pirates.
    I'm sure many people will respond to me with nasty comments, but I needed to speak up about all this complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    While I don't hear "Polar Express" bells going off in my head, or try to chase my shadow all over the Park, I do enjoy the time I get to spend in DL. Lately, though, the time I've spent there has somewhat lessened my opinion of the place. So, at least for now, I keep "the Magic" by staying away.
    I think you have a great point! If you feel yourself loosing the magic, then just stay away for awhile. Everyone is different and, as much as you may want to get your moneys worth from your AP, maybe you aren't cut out for a daily/weekly/monthly visit like some people are. And that's okay!
    Last year we moved 1200 miles away from Orange County and having to give up our AP's and weekly visits has been really, really hard. But, the bright side is that now we can experience new excitement every time we do get to (finally) visit DLR!

Quote Originally Posted by haylebelle View Post
    i never ever respond to threads on here because honestly i see how nasty some people can be to others who post and that kind of scared me away. But after reading this tread, i just wanted to say thank you! You said exactly what was on my mind. I logged on this morning for the first time in weeks, and almost every single thread were people complaining. It made me feel sick. People complain when a ride is needing some extra "tlc", and when the ride is down for a refurb, people complain about that! I just do not understand.
    I understand it sucks when your favorite ride is down, or lines are really long, but like somebody said, make your own magic! When you are waiting in a long line, enjoy that special time you get to spend with your family or friends and talk! Many of my favorite memories of disneyland are when it has been really crowded i would sit on main st with my family, enjoying a cup of coffee, and people watching! Just doing that is always so magical to me.
    So please, enough with all this negativity and nit-picking. People aren't perfect, disneyland isn't perfect, and it never will be. Stop focusing on all the things that you think are terrible and focus on the good things! Be thankful that you actually get to spend time at disneyland. Many people all over the world have much bigger problems than the fact they we had to wait 40 minutes in line for pirates.
    I'm sure many people will respond to me with nasty comments, but i needed to speak up about all this complaining.
    Exactly! I agree!

• Minion

I never ever respond to threads on here because honestly I see how nasty some people can be to others who post and that kind of scared me away. But after reading this tread, I just wanted to say Thank You! You said exactly what was on my mind. I logged on this morning for the first time in weeks, and almost every single thread were people complaining. It made me feel sick. People complain when a ride is needing some extra "tlc", and when the ride is down for a refurb, people complain about that! I just do not understand.
    I understand it sucks when your favorite ride is down, or lines are really long, but like somebody said, make your own magic! When you are waiting in a long line, enjoy that special time you get to spend with your family or friends and talk! Many of my favorite memories of Disneyland are when it has been really crowded I would sit on Main St with my family, enjoying a cup of coffee, and people watching! Just doing that is always so magical to me.
    So please, enough with all this negativity and nit-picking. People aren't perfect, Disneyland isn't perfect, and it never will be. Stop focusing on all the things that you think are terrible and focus on the good things! Be thankful that you actually get to spend time at Disneyland. Many people all over the world have much bigger problems than the fact they we had to wait 40 minutes in line for Pirates.
    I'm sure many people will respond to me with nasty comments, but I needed to speak up about all this complaining.
    Sorry, but the negativity is never going to end. As long as Disney continues to raise prices and lower their standards, the more negative people are going to be. To me, mere complacency is admitting defeat for the Happiest Place on Earth. If you don't point out areas needed for improvement, Disneyland will stagnate and never improve. We point out negatives not because we hate Disneyland, but because we deeply love Disneyland and want it to be the best it can possibly be. Take an essay in school for example. The teacher writes suggestions for improvement not because he/she hates the student, but because he/she wants the students to improve their writing skills. The same applies to Disneyland on a larger scale. And regarding the first world problem thing. I think everyone here understands that complaining about Disneyland is first world problem, but that is a big thing that we do here- debate about Disneyland- no matter how trivial the topic is.

• Little Green Man

...When you are waiting in a long line, enjoy that special time you get to spend with your family or friends and talk! ...
    I was at the park last year in May with my extended family and we wanted to go on Jungle Cruise (One of the rides my whole family enjoys - from 8 years old to 78). The line was 45 minutes and you know what? I enjoyed it! We wandered though the queue downstairs then upstairs like I had never seen. But I could chat with my mom or my nephews etc at my leisure. I was at Disneyland with my family!
    The whole trip had longer lines than I would have preferred but I made the most of my time while in line.
    Just my 2 cents.

• Chief Troublemaker

The magic is still here in me. It's in the butterflies I'm feeling right now knowing that in a few hours we'll be heading out. It's in the smile that's been on my face all day thinking about the fun we're going to have. It's in the beating of my heart because that's where the kid in me still lives on.

Unless Mickey walks up and cold-cocks me, I don't think I'll ever lose the magic. Crowds, price increases, grumpuses, refurbs don't really affect the magic. It's always there, you just have to find it!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• i believe in faeries.

well said.

I haven't seen that many unhappy posts... maybe dependent on the posts I select to read, but... there is a wealth of historic and operational information here, not that much complaining.
    I think it is a mistake to assume a person who is talking about a factor they don't enjoy is in fact not feeling the magic, as so often happens in email and texts, it is easy to apply ones own emotional interpretation to another's words....

can there be negativity about negativity? ;-)

I suppose it depends on whether you think people who notice/comment on "problems" are necessarily not enjoying the magic.
    Whether you think not seeing, commenting, or addressing what is not working as well as it could/should, is superior to addressing those issues and perhaps derailing a bigger problem and improving conditions.
    I think discernment needs to be brought into the situation more than concept.

I don't know that someone who comments about let's say, something being poorly managed has that on their mind all day and does not enjoy the "magic". Honestly, who would pay the prices if that were so?

I can't imagine anything more dangerous that not wanting to hear what falls short of "great" from guests and cast.... often, that is how improvement happens

I think it has to be taken on an issue by issue process, the kid behind me in line is kicking me... am I being "negative" if I ask him to stop? I don't think the trend of encouraging bad behavior or ignoring a problem to avoid appearing negative is a good one....

while I might not agree with a complaint, I am thankful people can and will speak out
    I don't see an abundance of that at all...

I think this is a great site!
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 02-23-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: additional thought

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast