Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Red Face Don't Let Yourselves Lose the Magic

ORWEN: Greetings to all the sweet little Mice Chat ducklings out there! Us cauldron girls wanted to chat with you about something that's been on our minds a lot lately.

ORDDU: Having been regular posters on this site for several years, now, we've noticed something that makes us wonder what you all do to keep the magic going for you when you visit the various Disney theme parks that there are.

ORWEN: Sometimes it seems that we forget to leave the real world behind when we visit the happiest places on Earth. Even though Uncle Walt always encouraged guests to leave the real world behind when they entered his park, it seems that--over time--more and more guests are finding this harder and harder to do.

ORDDU: Getting bumped in the shins by a stroller or seeing excessively long lines for a favorite attraction can certainly make it more difficult for us all to enjoy the parks. But is there anything you do to try and focus on the magic instead of the tragic?

ORWEN: One comment we read on another site said that when they come to the Disney parks these days and see a character, all they think about is the underpaid employee inside instead of the actual character they're supposed to represent. That struck me as a very sad thing to be thinking about at the Happiest Place on Earth.

ORDDU: Other comments are equally discouraging from some who no longer see appealing attractions but who, instead, just see something fake that they enjoy being critical about. A lot of times it seems as though people, in general, have become too jaded for the Disney brand--although attendance is up--are people just coming through the turn styles regardless of the fact that they don't really care for the Disney magic? That seems difficult to believe--

ORWEN: --yet the many negative comments we read so often seem to support that idea.

ORDDU: The world has become a more frightening place as time goes on. Disney park attendance also seems to be growing more and more. Yet what do you do to make sure you don't lose the magic for yourselves while at the parks? Is it really becoming more and more difficult for you to accomplish such a thing?

ORWEN: I just hope I never grow up. I wanna' be young at heart like Peter Pan forever!

ORGOCH: Got a fountain a youth in yer back yard?

Re: Don't Let Yourselves Lose the Magic

I try to tell my self, there are about 13 hours of park time and usually the wait for a ride is approximately 20 minutes on a good day. Calculating that with walking time, you could probobaly ride atleast 15 rides per day and most people in vacation go for atleast 2-4 days. The park is so crowded it is almost impossible not to get bumoped into. The people inside the characters suits are so friendly and patient. Imagaine yourself being in a hot suit for 13 hours with kids pulling on you costume. They remain sweet and curtious.

My camera gives me a lot of joy. There are so many things to capture at the parks. My Disney file is around 1500 and growing.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• I'm not really here

Walt said it best, Disneyland is a stage. The magic created there is created by those who come, to the stage, be they Cast Members or Guests.

We create our own magic at the park. The park doesn't create the magic. It is merely a place where we are free to let the magic that lives in us all, that little child stubbornly refusing to grow up, take flight and be free to believe.

The day I go to Disneyland and don't feel the magic any more is the day I will stop hearing the bell in the back of my Polar Express book ringing and the day that my shadow stops trying to run away. If I have anything to say about it, it will be the day after I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I visit Disneyland with a good attitude! When I'm reluctantly going about my daily life waiting for the next trip there, I surround myself with Disney decorations, movies, and visit MiceChat daily. As I am typing this response, my cell's ringtone is going off. It's "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes." That's another way I keep the magic!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Walt said it best, Disneyland is a stage. The magic created there is created by those who come, to the stage, be they Cast Members or Guests.

We create our own magic at the park. The park doesn't create the magic. It is merely a place where we are free to let the magic that lives in us all, that little child stubbornly refusing to grow up, take flight and be free to believe.

The day I go to Disneyland and don't feel the magic any more is the day I will stop hearing the bell in the back of my Polar Express book ringing and the day that my shadow stops trying to run away. If I have anything to say about it, it will be the day after I shuffle off this mortal coil.
    Not really sure I could say it better then this.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

ORDDU: All the responses here reveal that it's still a wonderful thing that Walt Disney decided to create Disneyland. As good as the parks are--or as bad as certain things can become--the ultimate key to having a good time depends mostly on our attitudes.

• Disney Fanatic

The feeling I get when I enter Disneyland is like no other. It truly is a magical feeling. It's one that I can't sadly experience all of the time, but it makes it that much more special the roughly 1 time a year I do get to visit.
    I think keeping the magic alive is simple. I just try to be friendly to everyone. Other guests, CM's, etc. And even though sometimes we are go, go, go, it's magical to just slow down and take it all in and truly appreciate where you are.
    And I feel like the above poster is correct. WE make our own magic. It's so very true.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

While I don't hear "Polar Express" bells going off in my head, or try to chase my shadow all over the Park, I do enjoy the time I get to spend in DL. Lately, though, the time I've spent there has somewhat lessened my opinion of the place. So, at least for now, I keep "the Magic" by staying away.

For me it's a conditioned response. As a child, going to Disneyland ment a day of fun and joy, with sleepless nights waiting to enter the world of wonder that was Disneyland. It never ment anything negative, sad or unfriendly. I looked forward to our yearly trip with wonder and amazement.
    So 40 years later, I still get that same feeling as I walk thru the gates. I must admit it's hard sometimes not to get caught up in the complaining, anger and frustration that as adults we have to deal with on a daily basis. But Disneyland is a state of mind. Be happy, be kind and don't let one person or event ruin your whole day. (A rather expensive one at that!)

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, ever since I worked there I've made a point to take time off from going to Disneyland so I don't get too jaded. I was doing a one year on / one year off thing with my annual pass, but lately I've noticed that when I was going to the park last year the only thing I was noticing was what was wrong with the park rather then what was right. So I plan on taking longer then a year off this time (at least from getting an AP, but I might go to a Halloween or Christmas party if they offer one this year) to make sure that I'm in the right frame of mind when I go and it doesn't too ordinary for me. That's the hard part about having worked there, every time I look at something I see the backstage part of it in my mind and so there is no illusion for me. Even 15 years later there are times when I need to get from one part of the park to another and my first thought is I'll take the backstage route. I guess for me it's a different kind of magic though, because I do appriciate how hard it is every day for the CM's to make it magical, and more than anything else I enjoy watching other people enjoy the magic.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

When EVERY Disney effort used to enhance the Magic in the park, it was easy to get enveloped in it. But as Disney has turned to taking shortcuts and putting less effort into the Magic, it became more of an effort on my part to keep it alive.

If Disney can regain their grasp on their former Magic production, recovery may still be achieved. If not, I think that it will just become too high maintenance on my part to continue. The world is full of Magic. If it becomes too hard to find it in one place, there are other places to look.
    Last edited by DLFan1995; 02-20-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, ever since I worked there I've made a point to take time off from going to Disneyland so I don't get too jaded. I was doing a one year on / one year off thing with my annual pass, but lately I've noticed that when I was going to the park last year the only thing I was noticing was what was wrong with the park rather then what was right. So I plan on taking longer then a year off this time (at least from getting an AP, but I might go to a Halloween or Christmas party if they offer one this year) to make sure that I'm in the right frame of mind when I go and it doesn't too ordinary for me. That's the hard part about having worked there, every time I look at something I see the backstage part of it in my mind and so there is no illusion for me. Even 15 years later there are times when I need to get from one part of the park to another and my first thought is I'll take the backstage route. I guess for me it's a different kind of magic though, because I do appriciate how hard it is every day for the CM's to make it magical, and more than anything else I enjoy watching other people enjoy the magic.
    I kind of wondered about that - whether over time you would lose the magic after being a CM.
    I worked at a zoo for years, and and although it was a different experience than a regular theme park in so many ways, I definitely see zoos differently now than when I used to just visit as a guest.

You've got to believe. You've got let Disney IN. They go through a lot of trouble and expense to create this fantastic environment for you, but it only works like it should if you enter the illusion yourself. Those ARE pirates. That IS Tigger. You ARE in never never land. BELIEVE!

The CM's do, so don't you fret about how much they're being paid. It's a volunteer position. Nobody gets drafted in to working at Disneyland. Let them help you create and enter the illusion. They want to. They enjoy it.

This is coming from a logical, sane, degree in finance having dude. So I know what it means to be practical. Let all that go once you enter Disney property.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    I kind of wondered about that - whether over time you would lose the magic after being a CM.
    I worked at a zoo for years, and and although it was a different experience than a regular theme park in so many ways, I definitely see zoos differently now than when I used to just visit as a guest.
    I can say that I still get that at Knott's. I worked in retail there decades ago when the park was nearly unrecognizable as what's there now. I still see things the way I trained myself to see them when I worked there - those displays are low, that door was left unlocked, those customers just darted behind a restricted door etc.

It bleeds over a bit into my Disney days.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast