Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

Have you ever considered stopping visiting the park? I am...

And I'm surprised.

February is the time of year when I usually go to the park. Considering it's a 4 hour plane ride, plus immigration, hotel, park hoppers, etc. it's a major expense for me. But I do it gladly, since DL is sort of like Paradise for my entire family.

But...

BT is down, Splash is down, Small World is down, Subs are down... plus it seems there are many little issues popping here and there too much of the time.

Crowds are apparently insane. 1 hour wait for Pirates? That's what I used to see on vacation days!

Prices are, well, up.

And DL hasn't done a single worthy thing in close to 20 years (sure, there's Cars Land. But that's not inside the Park I love).

So, I talked to my wife. We LOVE going to the park, it's the most romantic and magical place we know. But we decided we can live without it, for the time being.

We'll be going places. Beaches, historical towns, archeological ruins, etc. So much cheaper than DL... but that's not the main thing.

The WDC is losing (has lost us?) as captive clients. We used not to consider going anywhere else. Now, DL is an option, not a given.

I wonder how much $$$ they'll have to spend to bring us back (speaking metaphorically, obviously).

I'm, frankly, sick of the AP crowds. I have nothing against AP'ers, and I'd definitely be one if I lived close enough. But the concept kills our enjoyment of the parks. We are decidedly not locals, and know that our fun will be over when people leave their work. We know the park will become so crowded we'll want to leave. We can't understand the sense of entitlement some people think they have over the park, as if it was theirs - chanting the entire attraction spiels, cutting in line, and generally misbehaving.

We can't understand why there aren't new attractions built. All we see are new stores everywhere and overpriced restaurants. We love Indy, but that was far too long ago. And we know the old attractions by heart. There's only so many times one can ride Space Mountain or Star Tours until one thinks "OK, that was cool, when's the next big thing?" We are paying big dollars (at least those without an AP); where are the new attractions?

So, all in all - nice going, WDC. The Park is still the Happiest Place on Earth - but your business practices have made it a 2nd tier option for us at the moment. Here's hope things will change soon. Meanwhile, see you in Acapulco, Teotihuacán, Chichén Itzá, New York...

Re: Have you ever considered stopping visiting the park? I am...

Can't say that I have. I have been to DLR 3 times the past week (annual passholder) and not sure what you're talking about! I was there on Presidents Day and the wait for Pirates was 20 minutes. (Remember, it's a holiday week, lines will be up a little bit. Just how it is.) And I'm not sure what to tell you about the "AP crowds". Of course AP are going to be there all the time. We are lucky to live close. If the concept kills your enjoyment, I'm sorry that you feel the need to be that way. I go after work for a couple hours because it's my favorite place on Earth and well, I can! Also, its off season, and DLR 60th anniversary is coming up so A LOT of renovations are going on. I have never seen this sense of entitlement, of all the many, many times I have been to Disney. Misbehaved people are everywhere, not just DLR. And for the record, annual passholders pay a lot of money for them. Maybe you should look up the prices. Don't be so judgmental towards others and just enjoy your experience.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    And I'm surprised.

February is the time of year when I usually go to the park. Considering it's a 4 hour plane ride, plus immigration, hotel, park hoppers, etc. it's a major expense for me. But I do it gladly, since DL is sort of like Paradise for my entire family.

But...

BT is down, Splash is down, Small World is down, Subs are down... plus it seems there are many little issues popping here and there too much of the time.

Crowds are apparently insane. 1 hour wait for Pirates? That's what I used to see on vacation days!

Prices are, well, up.

And DL hasn't done a single worthy thing in close to 20 years (sure, there's Cars Land. But that's not inside the Park I love).

So, I talked to my wife. We LOVE going to the park, it's the most romantic and magical place we know. But we decided we can live without it, for the time being.

We'll be going places. Beaches, historical towns, archeological ruins, etc. So much cheaper than DL... but that's not the main thing.

The WDC is losing (has lost us?) as captive clients. We used not to consider going anywhere else. Now, DL is an option, not a given.

I wonder how much $$$ they'll have to spend to bring us back (speaking metaphorically, obviously).

I'm, frankly, sick of the AP crowds. I have nothing against AP'ers, and I'd definitely be one if I lived close enough. But the concept kills our enjoyment of the parks. We are decidedly not locals, and know that our fun will be over when people leave their work. We know the park will become so crowded we'll want to leave. We can't understand the sense of entitlement some people think they have over the park, as if it was theirs - chanting the entire attraction spiels, cutting in line, and generally misbehaving.

We can't understand why there aren't new attractions built. All we see are new stores everywhere and overpriced restaurants. We love Indy, but that was far too long ago. And we know the old attractions by heart. There's only so many times one can ride Space Mountain or Star Tours until one thinks "OK, that was cool, when's the next big thing?" We are paying big dollars (at least those without an AP); where are the new attractions?

So, all in all - nice going, WDC. The Park is still the Happiest Place on Earth - but your business practices have made it a 2nd tier option for us at the moment. Here's hope things will change soon. Meanwhile, see you in Acapulco, Teotihuacán, Chichén Itzá, New York...
    These are my thoughts almost exactly.

As much as I love DL, I simply cannot stand the huge crowds anymore.

So instead of my usual trip to DL around this time of year, me, my daughter (19) and 4 of her friends will be going to Hawaii. That's roughly $1,000 that TDC will not be getting from me this year, and around another $1,000 that won't be spent in Anaheim.

The sad part is that as long as the executives continue to rake in millions, they could not possibly care less about any of us.

yep, you won't know until you try it and you will be surprised how little you miss it; we've found we can have just as much fun doing things absolutely free and that doesn't take away from our memories of the park. There are many past experiences that we have had all over the world that we don't feel the need to replicate over and over as we have done with disneyland; so now it is just one of those pleasant memories and we have moved on. good luck!

• Hooterville, USA

My suggestion is to stay away until you really miss DL again. It's ok to admit your disappointment and you'll be surprised at how many people feel the same way.

By the way, Hawaii is gorgeous!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Starwarsgeeek View Post
    Can't say that I have. I have been to DLR 3 times the past week (annual passholder) and not sure what you're talking about! I was there on Presidents Day and the wait for Pirates was 20 minutes. (Remember, it's a holiday week, lines will be up a little bit. Just how it is.) And I'm not sure what to tell you about the "AP crowds". Of course AP are going to be there all the time. We are lucky to live close. If the concept kills your enjoyment, I'm sorry that you feel the need to be that way. I go after work for a couple hours because it's my favorite place on Earth and well, I can! Also, its off season, and DLR 60th anniversary is coming up so A LOT of renovations are going on. I have never seen this sense of entitlement, of all the many, many times I have been to Disney. Misbehaved people are everywhere, not just DLR. And for the record, annual passholders pay a lot of money for them. Maybe you should look up the prices. Don't be so judgmental towards others and just enjoy your experience.
    Actually, based on what the OP said about all he needs to do to get to DL, he pays more than an AP does. Hotel, airfare, parkhopper tickets, lack of discounts on ANYTHING...if the AP program was really more expensive, a lot less people would be a part of it. Nobody is judging, I used to be a DL AP and am now a WDW AP...but it is a fact the harder-working, higher-paying tourist, is putting in more time and more effort just to go to a park crowded by people who can go all the time, even just after work (with an attitude like "because well, I can.").

• Chief Troublemaker

Every so often and very briefly, based solely on costs (onsite stay, 5 day hopper). I'm a once a year, off-season guest, too. Refurbs disappoint me but I realize that's the trade off for lower crowds in the off season. But the magic is still there for me, so I'll probably keep going as long as I can afford it. I say probably because BFF (who is my Disney partner in crime) is still raising kids so budgeting for a trip is more of an issue with her than with me & I have no interest in a solo trip. DH isn't a Disney fan so he has no interest in going.

It seems I always look at the costs, look around at other destinations (usually Hawaii or the UK) and DL is always cheaper because I only pay for myself. Plus I'd want to stay longer in Hawaii or the UK. Also, DH would come so the cost would be double.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Disney Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Every so often and very briefly, based solely on costs (onsite stay, 5 day hopper). I'm a once a year, off-season guest, too. Refurbs disappoint me but I realize that's the trade off for lower crowds in the off season. But the magic is still there for me, so I'll probably keep going as long as I can afford it. I say probably because BFF (who is my Disney partner in crime) is still raising kids so budgeting for a trip is more of an issue with her than with me & I have no interest in a solo trip. DH isn't a Disney fan so he has no interest in going.

It seems I always look at the costs, look around at other destinations (usually Hawaii or the UK) and DL is always cheaper because I only pay for myself. Plus I'd want to stay longer in Hawaii or the UK. Also, DH would come so the cost would be double.
    I agree with your post. I've been to Disneyland going on 5 times this year and probably will strive to go back once a year here on out, with maybe the exception of next year due to saving for other things.
    I don't think I'll ever Not want to visit the park. Even if the crowds are higher in volume, I just simply enjoy walking around the park and taking in the atmosphere and magic.
    Disneyland is my favorite place on earth, and as much as I want to say costs detour me, they don't. Even if my 5 day park hopper pass shot up to $500, I'd still go. Granted, a family of 4 versus a couple would say differently and rightfully so. But for the time being, no matter the refurbs, the crowds or the cost, nothing will keep me away. Not immediately, anyways.

Oh dear, I surely did not realize how some folks perceive Annual Passholders. I am one of the fortunate(I guess) "local" crowd that enjoy the benefits of living in Southern California and have been an AP for several years. Because of this tenure, I go to the parks, both Disneyland and California Adventure, not specifically for the rides(for obvious reasons, primarily, the long lines), but, to escape the "madness" and feel the "Magic" that my day(s) at the park ensures with each and every visit. The AP dislike behavior noted in the various posts herein is certainly a take-away and I will be cognizant of these on each one of my visits. In defense of APers everywhere, I have observed a most helpful demeanor towards non-APers mainly in the form of information and/or directions. Other than the rides, which I rarely do, I find Disney's magic in the ongoing entertainment found in many areas of both parks, the parades, the shows, the characters, etc. My favorite being the jazz singers in New Orleans square. I love the food, the shopping, the pin-trading and very cordial CM, all of which, make my every visit more than magical. I will be more mindful of non-APers on all of my future visits and hope Disney does not pull this option.

• Disney Fanatic

I've never found APers a problem. That's actually one of my favorite parts of coming to MiceChat. To hear what they have to say, since the park is easily accessable to them and all the knowledge they behold.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    Oh dear, I surely did not realize how some folks perceive Annual Passholders.
    It's the AP program not the APer.

The program was designed to cover DL's off season and it worked great. But, it started to get out of control when they let you in free on your birthday, and you could upgrade your free ticket to an AP. Then, they decided to let people make payments on APs and now it's out of control.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Resident Ghost

We live in a far bigger world than we did in 1955. Of course Disneyland will have wait times of an hour on pirates certain days.

If you lower prices, more people will come to the park, but efficiency will decrease. The lines will be even LONGER.
    If you limit the amount of people who can enter the park a day, then Disneyland is no longer all inclusive.
    If you get rid of Annual Passes, you will lose a guaranteed revenue stream for Disney.
    If you don't refurbish rides during the slower months, they can't be working properly when the most people come to the parks in the peak season.
    Last edited by Walt's Ghost; 02-20-2014 at 08:10 AM.

• Indiana Scott

I know what the OP means - we have effectively stopped visiting the parks. Instead of yearly+ visits, we'll have waited at least three years and even then I will need to see some improvements before we ever go back.
    I am hoping though that the most recent mess that the park is in is only because of the 60th coming up and Disney's desire to fix up the park. In many ways it seems like they are indeed trying to catch up with maint. and repairs but we will need more time to be sure.

I've let my AP lapse. I haven't been to the park in months. I'm tired of rides that are a skim-milk version of a movie I've already seen, and of feeling like the company's only goal is squeezing more money out of me.

And yeah, the crowds are definitely a downer. There really isn't an "off" season anymore and that's sad. Used to be great to go, though it was cold and things would sometimes be closed, but now even with closed rides, there are crowds.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Disney Fanatic

That being said,
    I think perhaps if I lived close enough to the park, I'd feel much the same way. I'm excited to go to Disneyland once a year. It's a special feeling.
    But maybe if I were to go All the time, I wouldn't feel so "special" anymore.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast