Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help needed!

help needed!

hi guys,
    LONG time lurker, first time poster, Disney enthusiast here looking for some advice!
    I am from England, and i think i have finally saved up enough pennies to make the trip to Disneyland CA!
    now in order to persuade my other half to join me on my trip ('its going to be the same as Paris dont waste your money!') we are doing a west coast road trip with only two days in Disney!!(sob sob)
    so I need reccomendations, what do I absolutely have to do/see and how do I make the most of my short stay?
    I do want to do the rides but characters are more my thing, and also i am going in june so its probably going to be unbearable with crowds
    thank you!

• Disney Fanatic

Re: help needed!

It's hard to say, as everyone is different when it comes to what they Must see.
    I found that when we went back in September, there were always lots of characters kicking around Main Street. (Donald, Chip + Dale, Minnie, Mickey). We saw them on multiple occassions there. Also, from what I hear, you can see what characters will be in the park that day and when to expect them, if you go to Guest Relations. So if you want to see characters, perhaps that's an option. Another option would be doing a character dining experience. We are doing Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast one morning.
    In terms of ride, it's really perosnal preference. I'm a big fan of Tower of Terror, so that's a must for me. My SO likes Big Thunder Mountain, Indy, etc.
    I'd say perhaps try to do the more popular rides. Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Radiator Springs Racers, Matterhorn, etc. But, there's also hidden gems and the rides that aren't as popular can still be very enjoyable/memorable.
    It's all in what you like. I can spend a whole day in DL, but probably not a whole day in DCA. Which is why the park-hopper is beneficial. And, you can't mind the crowds. In June, the volume of people will probably be higher. However, use your FastPass to its fullest potential and I found that if we went in with a rough plan each day, we were more successful than winging it.

Well I can't say too much on characters since I never seem to know when they're going to come out it just seems to be luck. I highly recommend getting there when the park opens on both days since that is when the weather will be coolest and the parks will have the smallest crowds. For one day I suggest going straight to Thunder Mountain in Disneyland when the park opens since it will have recently reopened after a very long refurb and the lines are guaranteed to be very long. On the second day I recommend you go straight to Radiator Springs Racers in California Adventure since the lines for that average 1.5 to 2 hours.
    "Where would the fun be if we already knew what there is to know?" - Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsJess View Post
    Also, from what I hear, you can see what characters will be in the park that day and when to expect them, if you go to Guest Relations.
    It's not necessary to go to Guest Relations. Every cast member should have a guide on them that tells them where every character is scheduled to be on any given day.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Are you going to stay onsite? If so then make sure you make use of the extra-magic hour as it would allow you to get to some rides that will otherwise have a very long line. Understand also that you will probably not be able to ride everything in just two days because of crowds... Don't destroy your trip waiting in extremely long lines. If you can't get a fastpass to Radiator Springs Racer then you should only consider the single rider line or just skip it all together. The lines are probably still going to be long as it is the most popular ride in CA, so it wouldn't be out of the question to have a 2 hour or longer wait - it really isn't worth that much of a wait.

The only must rides in DL are probably Indy, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion... The other rides are more a question of what you enjoy because some will say Small World where as anyone in my family would rather have a root canal than ride it.

I'm not sure what characters you wanted to see, but you might consider a character dining meal just to get you several characters in less than an hour and you get to eat while you wait - so it makes more of your limited time... Plaza Inn at DL or Ariels Grotto at CA would be my choices if you went down that road... Plaza doesn't have the best food but for breakfast its all you can eat so you will feel you got your money's worth, also you can sometimes get random characters you wont normally see else where... Ariel's is pricey chi-chi food and gives you more mainstream princess characters.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

At the time you are coming the Characters lines will be long, but you get there as Character coming out the line is short and them get long.
    tips is First is peter pan then Splash mountain singer rider or First thing Short line.
    Do second some time there are three show on weekend show Fantasmic see castle firework first

Anyone What do think about prades? yes or no Me I would say no more time for ride or get something fast to eat.
    lunch and dinner Do Not eat the peak time that 11:30 am - 1:00 pm or 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    Do not forget use the Fastpass system.

If you have to two full days at park I would do world of color

are you get park hopper pass?
    Last edited by akfandisney; 02-20-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    At the time you are coming the Characters lines will be long, but you get there as Character coming out the line is short and them get long.
    tips is First is peter pan then Splash mountain singer rider or First thing Short line.
    Do second some time there are three show on weekend show Fantasmic see castle firework first

Anyone What do think about prades? yes or no Me I would say no more time for ride or get something fast to eat.
    lunch and dinner Do Not eat the peak time that 11:30 am - 1:00 pm or 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    Do not forget use the Fastpass system.

If you have to two full days at park I would do world of color

are you get park hopper pass?
    I think we need more info from the OP as to how much and what type of Disney they have already experienced... If they have already been to WDW then I would certainly skip the parades as I would assume they've already seem a Disney parade and to me they aren't that different no matter what they call them...

World of Color is more of a personal thing. My family did it once and weren't that impressed. Others seem to love it and do it over and over... If you do decide to do it then either get to CA early so you can get a decent fastpass for it or pay extra and do the preferred seating with a meal deal, because if you have a bad location you will not enjoy it at all.

• Minion

now in order to persuade my other half to join me on my trip ('its going to be the same as Paris dont waste your money!') we are doing a west coast road trip with only two days in Disney!!(sob sob)

I saw london bridge last month, so ask your other half if I should still go to England?

• Minion

does the west coast include northern calif, Oregon and Washington?

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions, I am ever so appreciative. I realise I was quite vague in my original post...sorry I am new to this! Just going to answer some of the questions you all have asked...
    Unfortunately I won't be staying onsite I really wanted to but I just can't justify the cost with what the trip is already adding up to, flights to LA are ridiculous from London! But that's going off topic...
    With rides, I have been to disneyland Paris many times so I would like to ride the ones that aren't there first, then visit some of my old favourites too like space mountain Aerosmith and Peter Pan. (Also what is an e ticket ride??)
    I love each and every character but favourites for me would have to be, mickey, Alice & co. Peter and Wendy, ariel, rapunzel, Aladdin, piglet, oh I could actually go on forever!!! I adore the aristocats but I'm not expecting they are ever around are they?
    Yes we do have the hopper pass
    No I have never been to WDW it's on the bucket list though!
    I think I would like to see the parades are they the same every day? I wouldn't need to see them twice if so, and is there two a day?
    I'm not sure what world of colour is but it sounds exciting!! Is it fireworks? Sorry if I'm bring extremely stupid and thank you for your help.
    Oh and they don't have dole whips in Paris so that is a must for me I think!!
    Lots of love x

It includes Northern California and Oregon yes! Washington wasn't on the plan unless you think we should go? Must say Oregon looks beautiful!

• Here's my 2 cents

ugh such a topic! first off getting in the Park at rope drop is key, I cover a lot of territory before 11am when I do that (including stopping for breakfast) I'd take in as much of California Adventure as possible since it is unique to California, then Disneyland and catch the attractions that are unique to the Disneyland California, try not to be negative about crowds, there are ways to enjoy the day even with the crowds, personally I think the Park has a good, positive vibe in the summer
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Here are your must dos

DISNEYLAND
    Matterhorn
    Indian Jones (best ride IMO)
    Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Big THunder Mountain
    Space Mountain
    Peter Pan
    Splash Mountain
    Story Book Land Canal Boats
    Fantasmic!
    Fireworks

CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
    Aladdin Musical
    Radiator Springs Racers
    Caifornia Screamin'
    Soarin over California
    Toystory Midway Mania
    Tower of Terror
    Ariel's Undersea Adventure
    World of Colour

Then just try and fit as much of everything else in as you can!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

World of color Is a Water show with Video and the water is the screen.
    I hope work for you
    youtube Disney's World of Color California Adventure 2013- 1080P HD Panasonic Lumix GH3 - YouTube link clik here
    Here is a link someone video tape the show in red

here is the link for more information from Disneyland https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ent...orld-of-color/
    the show is much bigger that you can see in video at this location
    there is two show per night

Here information the link to Fantasmic https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ent...and/fantasmic/
    Each park this show is difference

Space Mountain is difference WDW have ver-1 Disneyland have Ver-2 One you have see may be the best is Ver-3
    Last edited by akfandisney; 02-20-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• Minion

E-ticket is a reference to the tickets required to ride an attraction that was large, powerful and long, the top of the list attractions to enjoy. but you are in luck, they stopped using tickets in the 80's. Using E-ticket in our posts defines the posters as youngsters who had to wrestle with what rides to ride and what we couldn't ride because the E-Tickets in our book would all be used up. A badge of honor for us oldsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast