View Poll Results: APs - where do you stand?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am local and have an AP, think they're great.

70 35.53%
  • I am local and do not have an AP anymore.

23 11.68%
  • I am local and would like to have an AP.

4 2.03%
  • I am not local but have an AP.

33 16.75%
  • I am not local but would have an AP if I were.

15 7.61%
  • I am not local and think the APs are bad for the parks.

16 8.12%
  • I am local and think the APs are bad for the parks.

5 2.54%
  • I have an AP but have mixed feelings about the whole subject.

9 4.57%
  • I don't have an AP but have mixed feelings about the whole subject.

13 6.60%
  • Other.

9 4.57%
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

APs - where do you stand?

This subject keeps coming up in other threads, so maybe we should just do a poll count and discuss it here?
    Different Micechatters can have very different perspectives on the topic, depending upon their experiences and locale.
    Please check in with your status- further discussions to follow?

Ooops - meant to make this a poll, but messed up!
    Last edited by Scarlet Spanky; 02-20-2014 at 12:31 PM.

• -

Re: APs - where do you stand?

The idea of an annual pass by itself is not a bad thing. Where it got out of control is when they added bargain basement tiers to the program and then added monthly payment plans as well.

They should go back to the single tier (or two tiers if you count the Premier Pass) and no payment plan.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Local and happy AP holder here. Life without an AP ain't worth livin. Don't you ever touch my AP!!

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The idea of an annual pass by itself is not a bad thing. Where it got out of control is when they added bargain basement tiers to the program and then added monthly payment plans as well.

They should go back to the single tier (or two tiers if you count the Premier Pass) and no payment plan.
    yep I agree with this, I've been a passholder since '88 and it was much more discreet back then almost at a Club 33 level and cast members weren't used to seeing them.
    They've created a monster now with almost 1 million AP'ers
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm not quite sure where I fit into this poll. I guess I should check other. I live in Chicago, and like to visit Disneyland as much as I can. I last visited in October for 4 days in the park. Before that I had a visit, at the end of January, that included 10 days in the park. So, for those 2 trips, and a total of 14 days, I purchased a Deluxe AP at the beginning of the 10 day visit. That AP has since expired.

I have two visits planned during this calendar year. One at the end of May for a week, and then 5 days in November. I will do the Math, when the time comes, and decide what is the most economical for me. I am looking ahead also to the 60th Anniversary. That might end up having something to do with my decision. I just might purchase a parkhopper for my May Trip, and then an Annual Pass for the November trip, thus allowing me to visit again in 2015 for a greater length of time.

In my case, it boils down to the cost per day, of the days that I am planning to visit.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Singing Drinker

I'm on extended hiatus from my AP, but feel that those currently holding them take a lot of grief here for things out of their control.

Crowding etc. have less to do with how Disney sells admission media and more to do with the level of people Disney wants in the parks combined with how many rides per capita the average visitor gets. If the anti-AP crowd got their wish and had APs banned, you'd simply see Disney shift to some other form of entrance media and promotion structure to get the numbers back to where they want them.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

AP program = Bad (overall)

AP holders = Good (overall)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Down Pluto!

Not local, but use an AP every (approx.) 5 years for a two week stay and often a later visit that AP year. The 5-day Park Hoppers are cost prohibitive for us. We spend the money IN the park - not to GET in.

Do away with the AP's and we visit less and spend less. Loser for Disney in our case. Loser for the hotel as well.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I have an AP and I'm going tomorrow. I paid the full price the day I bought it. But if I get another one in the future, I may have to use the payment plan. So, those of you who want to get rid of the lower tiers and/or the payment plan, you are saying in effect that I don't deserve to go to the DLR. It's exactly the same as saying I don't deserve to buy a car or a house if I have to take out a loan. Do y'all really think that I'm not going to oppose the idea of getting rid of the lower tiers and/or the payment plan? You're not talking about some abstract "guest," you're talking about real, live human beings who love the park as much as you do, but need a little help in order to get in. As long as Disney offers that little help, why shouldn't I take advantage of it?
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Who else thinks that your AP is something you will NOT sacrifice! LOL!
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Former Churro Jockey

This is a tough one because I did enjoy having an AP but I hated how crowded the parks were (largely because of other APers), so I guess I'd like one but I don't want anyone else to have one. I guess realistically there are only two options that Disney can do if they want to reduce the number of APers:

1. Make the price so high that most people can't afford it - which is what Disney does with everything else, so maybe this is the most realistic option. The vast majority of people can't afford a Disney Cruise (much more expensive then Princess Cruises or Royal Caribbean). I stayed at Aulani a year ago, and the cheapest room the 1st week of December was $400/nt. Obviously you have the same kinds of prices for the Grand Californian and the deluxe WDW hotels.

2. Limit the number of AP's to something like 250K - this probably would have been ideal had they done this from the beginning, but now that there are over a million APers, how to you go from that to 250K? At this point, it doesn't seem practical.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    ... guess realistically there are only two options that Disney can do if they want to reduce the number of APers...
    My question on this point: Is there any evidence that Disney has any intention or inclination to do so?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Mouseke-Awesome

I'm not local, but I have an AP...and I think they're great.

I like the AP program but I don't particularly like how all AP's are generally lumped into one group and they're the main source of crowding/overcrowding at the parks. Again, I'm a good 3-4 hours away from the parks and since purchasing my AP in September have been making visits on average once per every other month.

I feel like there's so much animosity towards ALL pass holders, especially people that have the monthly payment plan. I don't think we need to scrutinize how people pay to get into the parks. Sorry, my two centavos

*awaits flames* *scurries back into corner with coffee*

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• Artistic integrity

The whole crux ... is about overwhelming crowds.

Something needs to happen. What? The Co. doesn't seem to want to do something - so the crowds remain insane .. and continually get worse.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

•   
    • Minion

I voted other. Been going to the parks since the 80's to me it's the same as it was then crowded. You can still find lite days now. As for APs i have no thought either way. Last weekend was really busy and 3/4 the Aps were blacked out. The only one not is the top priced one and i'd be surprised if that one has the most customers. If i bump into someone and they are rude I have no idea to tell if they are a ticket hiolder VS AP holder.

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast