Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Crowds are getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    • The economy is better, so people have more disposable income.

I actually have a different theory about this. Some people may have more money then they had a few years ago and may be splurging on an AP, but there's also the opposite end. People who used to spend significant amounts of money on vacations abroad are scaling back and traveling more around the US, and that includes buying an annual pass to all of the parks here in So Cal. I work in the travel industry, and I can tell you that since 2007 travel to exotic destinations like Asia, Australia, South America and Africa is still virtually nonexistant. People are sticking with North America and Europe, and traveling a lot more locally. Many of my clients used to take two big vacations a year, and now they take one and have an annual pass in place of their other one.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    I know that people have started talking about this in different threads, but now we can discuss here.

It seems that crowds are getting worse. There used to be some days when it was quiet, and some when it was crowded. Now, it seems that it's crowded daily. I was there on Tues. the 18th, and was expecting an easy day because people should be at school and work. We ended up leaving at 3:30 because it was so crowded. Like other people have been saying, Pirates was an hour. The line just to get into the parking lot was 20 minutes

I think that there are two things affecting crowds:
    • The economy is better, so people have more disposable income.
    • Lots of rides are closed for refurbishment. BTM has been closed for over a year, Splash Mt is closed, and so is iasw

So what is TDC going to do? I don't know. They can either try to work on improving crowd control, or they can continue to let everyone in and make a ton of money.
    I hate being a nerd, but its actually *discretionary* income that allows for people to do things like Disneyland. Disposable income is the term used for money spent on essential items after taxes, not luxuries.

• Hooterville, USA

Discretionary income is disposable income (after-tax income), minus all payments that are necessary to meet current bills.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Exactly...this is like complaining that Christmas week is crowded.
    Yes. I remember a guy a used to work with who was complaining about the crowds around Labor Day and I was like... really? You go the week before California schools are back in session and everyone has a long weekend and you think you have justification to complain about crowds. Good one.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

• Minion

I actually think it's as crowded as it has been in the past. Now my history is only from the early 80s to present. There are times it's horrible and other times it's better. I went the week after New Years and waits were mostly 20 mins all day even RSR was 35 mins. I would expect holidays and days around them to always be busy. People who have a three day weekend often extend vacations.

I need to find a good source for the times schools have days off. Not having kids, I'm really not in touch with when they're out.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I have never heard of mid-winter breaks in schools. So I guess this must be a California thing.
    Some regions no longer do a traditional school year like most remember or are familiar with with a long summer, 2 weeks at Christmas and a week at Easter, and have shortened summer break and increased other breaks throughout the year instead.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Discretionary income is disposable income (after-tax income), minus all payments that are necessary to meet current bills.
    Thats basically what I said...

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    I was there on Monday, Feb. 17th and since it was President's Day, anticipated larger crowds, so I changed my MO for the day. Arriving at the Parking Lot on Harbor at 2:00PM, found zero in queue, walked right onto the shuttle, walked right through the baggage check line, walked right into CA, and then discovered the park to be very well attended. However, at that time of day, shopping and checking out new merchandise is the least crowded, so, I proceeded to shop and walk through the shops on left ultimately exiting in Hollywood Land, avoiding Buena Street congestion. Monsters, Inc. had a limited queue, possibly due to live entertainment at the Backlot. Overall, the park was busy, but, was able to catch most shows, and rides with limited wait times. Not sure what happened on Tuesday, but, I was surprised to hear that it was a lot busier.

Exactly! take control and change your plans to make sure your trip to the Park is the experience YOU want to have instead of going in blindly and being a victim of circumstance. The sniveling about crowds is nothing new to MC. when I joined in 2009 there were threads complaining about crowds then.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    -Build a people eater E ticket in the back of Frontierland to pull more people in that direction
    That's what I'm talkin about!
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I need to find a good source for the times schools have days off. Not having kids, I'm really not in touch with when they're out.
    I don't either - I'm lucky in that I work with school groups from time to time so I have an idea of when they're in session, or not. A good rule of thumb is that the weeks before and after Presidents Day and Easter are always suspect. So is any federal holiday - if you're not getting your mail that day, stay away from Disneyland. There's also a week in October when the Utah schools are out and a lot of Utahns always come to Disneyland - some of the Disneyland websites usually have the dates for that, at least.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

I was there on Tuesday and it seemed like there were tons of people from the Northwest, as Seahawks merch was being worn all over the place!

• Special Agent

Crowds are something that should self regulate. As the crowds get bigger and less managable, fewer people will show up.

The only real issue is the cost of managing the crowd. To maintain their margins, Disney probably tries to maintain their operating expenses based on revenue coming in and not necessarily the number of guests. That's a situation where APs make things worse: if a large percentage of your guests are paying next to nothing, there is no motivation to increase staffing and operating costs.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Crowds are something that should self regulate. As the crowds get bigger and less managable, fewer people will show up.

The only real issue is the cost of managing the crowd. To maintain their margins, Disney probably tries to maintain their operating expenses based on revenue coming in and not necessarily the number of guests. That's a situation where APs make things worse: if a large percentage of your guests are paying next to nothing, there is no motivation to increase staffing and operating costs.
    Question:

If this is the case - that APs are the problem and that Disney is refusing to perform needed maintenance and staffing moves to cover for the issues - then how does that reflect on the exact same outcome being attributed to a primarily tourist audience at WDW?

It can't be both. You can't claim that an audience primarily made of tourists will save everything at Disneyland while and audience primarily made of tourists gets cited for the same behavior at Disneyworld. Well, you can, but it makes the argument specious from square one.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Question:

If this is the case - that APs are the problem and that Disney is refusing to perform needed maintenance and staffing moves to cover for the issues - then how does that reflect on the exact same outcome being attributed to a primarily tourist audience at WDW?

It can't be both. You can't claim that an audience primarily made of tourists will save everything at Disneyland while and audience primarily made of tourists gets cited for the same behavior at Disneyworld. Well, you can, but it makes the argument specious from square one.
    There are a lot of other factors to consider with WDW besides less AP's. The property is huge, road maintenance alone probably eats up a huge chunk of their budget. Overall, yes, the biggest problem is basically Disney just trying to maximize profits. But that doesn't mean that AP's aren't making DLR more crowded. I've definitely seen a difference in crowds and the numbers don't lie, about 2 million more guests per year at the resort then just a couple years ago.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast