Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Crowds are getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    There are a lot of other factors to consider with WDW besides less AP's. The property is huge, road maintenance alone probably eats up a huge chunk of their budget. Overall, yes, the biggest problem is basically Disney just trying to maximize profits. But that doesn't mean that AP's aren't making DLR more crowded. I've definitely seen a difference in crowds and the numbers don't lie, about 2 million more guests per year at the resort then just a couple years ago.
    And the loss of a substantial amount of rides per capita and Fastpass pulling people out of line isn't more to blame?

Plus, Disneyworld's attendance is up too. They're still experiencing the same neglect, the same issues as always.

Why the need to dress up an issue most likely attributed to poor corporate governance? Why not just say "these are bad policies"? Why blame the customer? If they set the attendance targets at "x", the numbers don't include "but shut the gates and only allow passholders in after 'y'". Disney has decided they want the parks full at this level, and that - regardless of whether the attendance is primarily tourist or local - is how they want to run their parks stateside.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I need to find a good source for the times schools have days off. Not having kids, I'm really not in touch with when they're out.
    It really doesn't matter. It's busy every day.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

::sigh:: That's what I'm afraid of.

Major holidays- yeah, I agree there. Even without schools being off for the day, most people are off work. I always stay away on holidays.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I know this isn't a very popular notion, but I think Disney should do away with the Southern California discount. IMO, that's the real source of the overcrowding. And yes, I do say this partially out of bitterness for missing the discount by like two zip codes.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    I know that people have started talking about this in different threads, but now we can discuss here.

It seems that crowds are getting worse. There used to be some days when it was quiet, and some when it was crowded. Now, it seems that it's crowded daily. I was there on Tues. the 18th, and was expecting an easy day because people should be at school and work. We ended up leaving at 3:30 because it was so crowded. Like other people have been saying, Pirates was an hour. The line just to get into the parking lot was 20 minutes

I think that there are two things affecting crowds:
    • The economy is better, so people have more disposable income.
    • Lots of rides are closed for refurbishment. BTM has been closed for over a year, Splash Mt is closed, and so is iasw

So what is TDC going to do? I don't know. They can either try to work on improving crowd control, or they can continue to let everyone in and make a ton of money.
    People should stop complaining and start walking.

BOOM: no more crowds and no more complaining.
    Any other problems need solving? I'm here all night!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    I was there on Tuesday and it seemed like there were tons of people from the Northwest, as Seahawks merch was being worn all over the place!
    I saw tons of Seahawks merch during my trip, too. I probably saw about 10 jerseys over the course of three days. I also saw a ton of Blackhawks jerseys, but I think that's because the Ducks played them on the 5th.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I hate being a nerd, but its actually *discretionary* income that allows for people to do things like Disneyland. Disposable income is the term used for money spent on essential items after taxes, not luxuries.
    Thank you for correcting me

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I need to find a good source for the times schools have days off. Not having kids, I'm really not in touch with when they're out.
    Each school district sets it's own calendar so they're all slightly different. They do have their calendars posted on their websites so maybe checking the districts closest to the resort would give a hint. Since they're all different there's not really a comprehensive source for school breaks. Hope this helps though.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker View Post
    Each school district sets it's own calendar so they're all slightly different. They do have their calendars posted on their websites so maybe checking the districts closest to the resort would give a hint. Since they're all different there's not really a comprehensive source for school breaks. Hope this helps though.
    This seems like more work than is necessary to me. As I mentioned above, you can get historical crowd data and forecasts at places like touringplans.com. I don't know if they're 100% accurate, but I was pretty happy with how their historical data looked for early-mid January (when we've often gone in the past and have experienced light crowds) and how the crowds would be in early March 2013 (worse than our usual January time, but still not too bad). The off season on weekdays is still an okay time to go, in my experience, crowd-wise. We've typically done Sunday-Thursday trips and had a great time. Sunday can get crowded by the afternoon, but in the morning it's often great. The weekdays are usually not bad at all (again, during the off season in a non-holiday week).

(Disclaimer: touringplans.com is a pay service; I don't work for them, don't know them, etc. I've just used their service last year and am using it again this year, just for crowd prediction purposes. It seemed to work well enough for me in the past. I don't use any of their other services, e.g., ride-planning and such.)

• The doctor is in

isitpacked.com is pretty reliable, too. Even on February 7th when their crowd level was "yup, it's packed" it wasn't that bad. I have seen much worse.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I actually think it's as crowded as it has been in the past.

Disneyland Park:
    1991 - 11.6 million visitors.
    2011 - 16.1 million visitors.

Think it's because of the addition of DCA? Think again.

DCA
    1991 - 0 visitors
    2011 - 6.3 million visitors

The resort went from 11.6 million visitors to 22.4 million visitors in 2011.

The parks have NEVER been as crowded as they are today.

Disneyland Attendance Info - Yearly attendance figures in millions - The Disneyland Linkage

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    The parks have NEVER been as crowded as they are today.
    Yeah but the resort nearly doubled in size. So the people per acre figure is about the same.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Yeah but the resort nearly doubled in size. So the people per acre figure is about the same.
    Not exactly. If there were 11.2 million people per park it'd be the same. 70% or so or people are at DL, vs. 30% at DCA.

DL has never been as crowded.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    DL has never been as crowded.
    Disneyland's attendance went down in 2012. We're still waiting on the numbers from 2013, but I am guessing it went down again.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Disneyland's attendance went down in 2012. We're still waiting on the numbers from 2013, but I am guessing it went down again.
    Thus, I'm fairly certain, the return of the offseason locals promotions.

Park attendance climbing, no major promotions beyond ad campaigns. Attendance slips, ad campaign plus discounted twofer admissions. Disney has an attendance level they want at the parks, and they will do what it takes to get the numbers there - AP or no.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast