Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Crowds are getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Thus, I'm fairly certain, the return of the offseason locals promotions.

Park attendance climbing, no major promotions beyond ad campaigns. Attendance slips, ad campaign plus discounted twofer admissions. Disney has an attendance level they want at the parks, and they will do what it takes to get the numbers there - AP or no.
    Yep. I've seen the SoCal two days for - I think - $99 campaign out there again.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Vidia's Minion

Kill the payment plan. You'll get a little breathing room.

• Your cadaverous pallor

yah so northern California, Oregon and Washington schools get that week off maybe even some Arizona but don't quote me on that

• Minion

It's definitely busier than it used to be at this time of year. As a CM from 83 through 94, mid January through February was dead. And that included the same long weekends we still see. Yes, those weekends would pick up a little back then, but nothing like you see today.
    School districts though are changing things up a bit apparently. Ours isn't. Still the typical three day weekend. But others might be doing that week-long thing.
    Regardless though, it is a lot busier than it used to be. At least comparing the now with the decade I worked there.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Kill the payment plan. You'll get a little breathing room.
    Personally, I doubt this would even make that much of a difference. Most people who really want them will still be able to buy them. Probably the biggest change would be people just downgrading a level. It's a bad business move too, the smart way to deal with crowding is to either expand or raise the prices until the crowds find the right balance.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I saw tons of Seahawks merch during my trip, too. I probably saw about 10 jerseys over the course of three days. I also saw a ton of Blackhawks jerseys, but I think that's because the Ducks played them on the 5th.
    Hard to say. I know we have a ton of transplants from the northwest, just like we have tons of transplants from Texas and the east coast. But there is also such a thing as bandwagon fans. People love the winners of the moment. It's like all the Oregon Duck paraphernalia you see. As close as we are to Oregon, you saw very little Oregon U. garb down here until recently. Since they've started getting better, they have a ton of fans who have no personal affiliation with the university. It happens.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    It's definitely busier than it used to be at this time of year. As a CM from 83 through 94, mid January through February was dead. And that included the same long weekends we still see. Yes, those weekends would pick up a little back then, but nothing like you see today.
    School districts though are changing things up a bit apparently. Ours isn't. Still the typical three day weekend. But others might be doing that week-long thing.
    Regardless though, it is a lot busier than it used to be. At least comparing the now with the decade I worked there.
    I had that impression, but it's nice to hear from someone who would know better. Thanks. Of course, there are a lot of attractions closed now, but that's also only slightly worse then normal. I do think some of the less busy times now are the summer ironically.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Personally, I doubt this would even make that much of a difference. Most people who really want them will still be able to buy them. Probably the biggest change would be people just downgrading a level. It's a bad business move too, the smart way to deal with crowding is to either expand or raise the prices until the crowds find the right balance.
    Raising prices on an addiction only makes criminals out of the addicted in order to feed it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Raising prices on an addiction only makes criminals out of the addicted in order to feed it.
    So what's the solution? Make them go cold turkey?
    -Walt Disney

The parks are still empty during the off-season. A weekday in September, early October, early December, most of January, early February, late April through mid-May, is going to be nice and quiet.

A Tuesday after President's Day is ski week (or at least that's what we called it in Miami, since it's when you take a week off to head north and ski) isn't off season.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    The parks are still empty during the off-season. A weekday in September, early October, early December, most of January, early February, late April through mid-May, is going to be nice and quiet.

A Tuesday after President's Day is ski week (or at least that's what we called it in Miami, since it's when you take a week off to head north and ski) isn't off season.
    So there are still a dozen or so days available that could be considered "off season". That is until, either people find them on their own, or Disney tries to push their existence and gets them as crowded as the rest.

Laughing, my shortest visit to Disneyland... Presidents Day....meeting friends for lunch and maybe a couple attractions (had about 2.5 hours), took forever to get into DTD parking, I had some work materials in the car and planned to park at the back of the lot under trees... lot was almost full, took 20 minutes to look for a space and exit (people blocking aisles waiting for someone to leave), called friends turns out they were trying to extricate themselves from the line for parking...
    the parking guy and I laughed about his "I hope you had a nice day....." I said, yes, it was great, then he saw the 22 minutes....

I have noticed, used to be I would stop for a few hours on Monday, ride a few attractions, walk, have lunch... only a little line for most anything... now, busy... sometimes long wait for security check, long lines at entrance... much busier than it used to be on a Monday and often, lots of kids... surprises me on a school day. Last week I went on Tuesday out of curiosity, almost the same crowd level, though someone told me it was "ski week"
    I suspect a lot of people, like I do, work weekends have Monday off...

Many many years ago, before annual passes, I took a weekday off to shepherd my out of town aunt/uncle/cousins around Disneyland... the park was nearly empty, they loved not having to wait in lines... but, it was weird, no where near the atmosphere when there were not the happy crowds. It felt kind of flat with out the vibrancy of a guest filled park.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    The day we see the news stories about the father of four shot during a holdup to buy APs for his kids is the day I worry about this.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    Think again on that mid-May statement. I chose that time last year thinking the crowds would be low and I got stuck with Grad Nights. It was jammed full of unruly teenagers and school groups from opening to closing in both parks.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

So this is coming from a fellow theme park employee, and current college student.

UC's go on Spring Break the last week of March AVOID
    Cal States go on Spring Break the second week of April AVOID
    LAUSD goes on Spring Break the week after the Cal States AVOID

Cal states get out for summer break mid May (Summer season for SoCal theme parks begin)

Also, Universal will be stealing some of the local crowds from Disneyland for a few weeks as Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem open April 10th.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast