Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Post Crowds are getting worse

I know that people have started talking about this in different threads, but now we can discuss here.

It seems that crowds are getting worse. There used to be some days when it was quiet, and some when it was crowded. Now, it seems that it's crowded daily. I was there on Tues. the 18th, and was expecting an easy day because people should be at school and work. We ended up leaving at 3:30 because it was so crowded. Like other people have been saying, Pirates was an hour. The line just to get into the parking lot was 20 minutes

I think that there are two things affecting crowds:
    • The economy is better, so people have more disposable income.
    • Lots of rides are closed for refurbishment. BTM has been closed for over a year, Splash Mt is closed, and so is iasw

So what is TDC going to do? I don't know. They can either try to work on improving crowd control, or they can continue to let everyone in and make a ton of money.

Re: Crowds are getting worse

I was there on Monday, Feb. 17th and since it was President's Day, anticipated larger crowds, so I changed my MO for the day. Arriving at the Parking Lot on Harbor at 2:00PM, found zero in queue, walked right onto the shuttle, walked right through the baggage check line, walked right into CA, and then discovered the park to be very well attended. However, at that time of day, shopping and checking out new merchandise is the least crowded, so, I proceeded to shop and walk through the shops on left ultimately exiting in Hollywood Land, avoiding Buena Street congestion. Monsters, Inc. had a limited queue, possibly due to live entertainment at the Backlot. Overall, the park was busy, but, was able to catch most shows, and rides with limited wait times. Not sure what happened on Tuesday, but, I was surprised to hear that it was a lot busier.

• MargyDisneylandLover

this week a lot of schools have "mid winter break" so this may have added to the higher crowds
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

So is this post asking the question

What is TDC going to do?
    Stopping running commercials here in Oregon.

But what is the veteran visitor going to do?
    1. Off season is a myth
    2. Monday holidays are now weekends that extend from Friday to Tuesday, five days in length as opposed to 3
    3. The economy has improved, not in terms of disposable income, but vacation budgets have ballooned from stock market investments.
    4. The economy has not improved for folks who have no stock market investments. Non-invested folks are actually seeing the value of their paycheck decrease.
    5. An AP is still a great value over the length of term of AP
    6. Visiting the park is no longer the experience it was three years ago. Attractions close or under refurb, people are returning to the park, many of them first time visitors

• Disneyland Dreamer

Outside of price increases and cutting back on AP days, I don't have a solution outside of an entire third gate a decade off.

• The doctor is in

Everyone is complaining about high crowds over Presidents Day week/weekend and a California school break.

Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I have never heard of mid-winter breaks in schools. So I guess this must be a California thing.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

I had never heard of mid-winter breaks, either. But, I heard on the radio this morning, that many schools in the Duluth, MN area are also on mid-winter breaks. So, it could be more than just CA. Strange, for sure, as I don't remember having anything like that as a kid.

• Minion

To help alleviate crowd stress, they could potentially
    -Remove the first tree of Tarzan's Treehouse
    -Remove the AO and French fry rocks in Tomorrowland
    -Build the Main Street Alley
    -Bring back the People Mover to take guests off the street
    -Build a people eater E ticket in the back of Frontierland to pull more people in that direction
    -Not have so many rides down for refurb at once
    -Critter Country exit for after Fantasmic

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Everyone is complaining about high crowds over Presidents Day week/weekend and a California school break.

Exxxxxxxxxxxxactly!!!!!!!!

Presidents' Day week typically sees huge crowds even mid-week, and that's normal. You can see it in historical crowd data from places like Touring Plans, for example. There's nothing surprising about it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I have never heard of mid-winter breaks in schools. So I guess this must be a California thing.
    No, a lot of states give their kids a week off in February - Maine, NY, Washington, Michigan, a lot of other states. I'd wager that more states do it than not. And apparently some countries, too - we were working with a school group from France that had a week in February off, and they told us all the kids there get that time off.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post

Exactly...this is like complaining that Christmas week is crowded.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Lots of school districts have a mid-winter break. These have become more common as districts have adopted "extended learning calendars." They are not quite "year-round" since the longest break still occurs in the summer months. Many districts start sometime in August and get out sometime in June as opposed to a traditional schedule of starting after Labor Day. That means that there are more breaks during the school calendar. One of these breaks often occurs mid-February right around President's Day. There are also districts that don't take a whole week off but do have a 4 or 5 day weekend around President's Day. I hope this makes sense.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    No, a lot of states give their kids a week off in February - Maine, NY, Washington, Michigan, a lot of other states. I'd wager that more states do it than not. And apparently some countries, too - we were working with a school group from France that had a week in February off, and they told us all the kids there get that time off.
    Decades ago we'd get five days total off but bracketed with a Wed-Thur-Fri then Mon-Tue structure. It was usually just referred to as "President's Day Weekend" then.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast