Disneyland hiring practices.

Hi everyone! I'm a former Disneyland Cast Member who has been living in the midwest for some time. I'm now ready to get back to my roots in California and resume my career with Disney.
    I frequently check with the Disneyland Job site for the latest openings, but they always have the same handful of openings year-round. So my question is this: why does Disneyland, a park which employs 9,000 cast members in the off-season and 12,000 in the summer/holidays (not counting Cal Adventure at all) never have an opening for anything as fundamental as Attractions, Guest Services, etc? Surely a park of that size doesn't go year after year without a single cast member quitting for school or other reasons. So what am I missing? Is there another way of getting a foot in the door? If I can't apply for anything that isn't posted on their site, how can I (or anyone else) possibly get one of these staple positions? And how has everyone else been doing it all these years if they have the same options as me?
    If I apply for one of the jobs offered on the Disney job site, it's likely I'd get that specific job rather than a choice of other positions, since the jobs posted are apparently a high priority for Disney, having been there for three years now. So how does anyone get a choice beyond the handful posted?
    Walt Disney World has tons of great jobs available in all areas of the parks, so why doesn't Disneyland? I've been checking every week for three years now! I've even kept abreast of the local Orange County newspaper classifieds. I've called the Disneyland job line and was told to 'keep watching the website'. And as much as I love WDW, I want to live in Cal, so what can I do? PLEEEEEAAAAAASSE help!

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: Disneyland hiring practices.

Because they have a wait list of people wanting almost any job. It's been running like 3-6 months recently I think. If unemployment was lower, I'm sure that list would be shorter.

• Minion

It's ironic that just a few years ago when the economy was better and jobs were plentiful that Disneyland was placing full page ads in the newspaper and billboards and even commercials on the radio for jobs at the parks. They couldn't keep a full staff and were hiring anyone and everyone that applied at the Casting Center. Times sure have changed. Even when I worked there in 95 it wasn't easy to get a job there especially in Attractions. You had to go at just the right time of year to land a position and even then they would only pick the cream of the crop. Then again this was also when they paid better than they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeman View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm a former Disneyland Cast Member who has been living in the midwest for some time. I'm now ready to get back to my roots in California and resume my career with Disney.
    I frequently check with the Disneyland Job site for the latest openings, but they always have the same handful of openings year-round. So my question is this: why does Disneyland, a park which employs 9,000 cast members in the off-season and 12,000 in the summer/holidays (not counting Cal Adventure at all) never have an opening for anything as fundamental as Attractions, Guest Services, etc? Surely a park of that size doesn't go year after year without a single cast member quitting for school or other reasons. So what am I missing? Is there another way of getting a foot in the door? If I can't apply for anything that isn't posted on their site, how can I (or anyone else) possibly get one of these staple positions? And how has everyone else been doing it all these years if they have the same options as me?
    If I apply for one of the jobs offered on the Disney job site, it's likely I'd get that specific job rather than a choice of other positions, since the jobs posted are apparently a high priority for Disney, having been there for three years now. So how does anyone get a choice beyond the handful posted?
    Walt Disney World has tons of great jobs available in all areas of the parks, so why doesn't Disneyland? I've been checking every week for three years now! I've even kept abreast of the local Orange County newspaper classifieds. I've called the Disneyland job line and was told to 'keep watching the website'. And as much as I love WDW, I want to live in Cal, so what can I do? PLEEEEEAAAAAASSE help!

There ARE openings for these positions happening on a regular basis but you are clearly missing them. Here's what happens. When Attractions positions open up, there is a flood of applicants. These applicants stay active for up to six months. So when additional positions open up, there is still a large number of active candidates that are going to be considered before the position needs to open up on the web site.

If you want to come back, you should apply for anything to get your foot in the door. If you get an offer, take it and then apply for a transfer to attractions when you are eligible in 3 months.

Global

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    It's ironic that just a few years ago when the economy was better and jobs were plentiful that Disneyland was placing full page ads in the newspaper and billboards and even commercials on the radio for jobs at the parks. They couldn't keep a full staff and were hiring anyone and everyone that applied at the Casting Center. Times sure have changed. Even when I worked there in 95 it wasn't easy to get a job there especially in Attractions. You had to go at just the right time of year to land a position and even then they would only pick the cream of the crop. Then again this was also when they paid better than they do now.
    Why is this ironic?

global

Disneyjobs.com is primarily for careers with Disney. Most of the employment for themeparks is done by directly contacting Disney casting. They do not often post these positions on there.

Try 800-766-0888 or 1 (714) 781-1651 and ask for casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    There ARE openings for these positions happening on a regular basis but you are clearly missing them. Here's what happens. When Attractions positions open up, there is a flood of applicants. These applicants stay active for up to six months. So when additional positions open up, there is still a large number of active candidates that are going to be considered before the position needs to open up on the web site.

If you want to come back, you should apply for anything to get your foot in the door. If you get an offer, take it and then apply for a transfer to attractions when you are eligible in 3 months.

Global
    Thank you for the reply! Just a quick question, am I really eligible to transfer in 3 months or is it 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    Disneyjobs.com is primarily for careers with Disney. Most of the employment for themeparks is done by directly contacting Disney casting. They do not often post these positions on there.

Try 800-766-0888 or 1 (714) 781-1651 and ask for casting.
    Thanks for the help! I'll give these numbers a try!