Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WDW raising prices. Can DL be far behind?

From CNN:
    Disney's Magic Kingdom raises prices - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Heading to Disney's Magic Kingdom Park for your next vacation?
    It'll cost you.
    The most expensive theme park at Walt Disney World Resort just got a little pricier. Starting February 23, visitors ages 10 and up will pay $99 for one-day tickets to the Magic Kingdom, a $4 increase.
    Prices for one-day tickets at Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios also increased $4, from $90 to $94. Many visitors to the Disney parks purchase multi-day passes, which can decrease the daily cost of visiting the parks.
    To Disney or not to Disney?
    "Our pricing reflects the high quality and breadth of experiences we offer and our ongoing commitment to investing in our parks," said Kim Prunty, Walt Disney World spokeswoman, via e-mail. "We offer a variety of ticket options that provide a great value, and find that most guests select multi-day tickets that offer additional savings."
    The Walt Disney Co. reported company revenues of $12.3 billion for the quarter ending December 28, 2013, a 9% increase from the same quarter in 2012. Of that $12.3 billion in revenues, $3.6 billion came from its parks and resorts. Parks and resorts revenues saw a 6% increase from the same quarter in 2012.
    "Prices were raised less than a year ago, but for WDW (Walt Disney Resort) it's all about supply and demand," writes Deb Wills, editor-in-chief of AllEars.net, an unofficial Disney planning and fan site. "Attendance is going up, not down; so as long as people keep paying the prices, Disney (any business) will keep raising them."
    CNN first learned of the price increase from a Tampa Bay Times Tweet.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Re: WDW raising prices. Can DL be far behind?

I would say that you can pretty much count on it sometime mid-year. I wouldn't be surprised if the new price was somewhere around $96.00 to $99.00.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

More than likely, I think they went up last year around April.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    More than likely, I think they went up last year around April.
    It was the end of May last year. What I find unusual is that they didn't both go up at the same time. IIRC, both resorts raised their prices at the same time, with a day and a half or so notice...

• Donald's #1 Fan

I'd think mantaining WDW is far more expensive than DL. WDW is in the middle of nowhere, and the WDC needs to pay for everything! Roads, service, transportation (monorail, bus, boat, etc.). It's mind-blowing to think of the logistics that WDW needs vs. DL just to function. Just because of that I'd argue WDW should be more expensive than DL - it's far more immersive and more things need to be paid.

Then again, $99 for a park that is inferior to DL in all aspects except size? And $5 more than EPCOT, a park that, I believe, is bigger and newer (although it's arguably less fun nowadays)?

I dunno. I guess that's part of the reason I haven't gone to WDW in 10 years. It's too complex... parks too big, less rides, park hopping is difficult and staying on site is almost a necessity. I love DL because it's so intimate and so easy to have more fun.

• Shubisha

I still feel Hollywood Studios is undervalued. If they could remove another attraction and maybe yet another entertainment offering and then raise the price again it'd really reflect the value.

• Disneyland PAP

I just assume a Disneyland AP price increase happens every year. It's just a matter of how much, but definitely there'll be an annual price hike, as the past several years have borne out.

• Minion

Hmmmm not sure if Magic Kingdom is worth a days pre-tax wage, at-least Disneyland is not quite a days wage...( for me, obviously not everyone's wage.)

When I think of how many days I need to work just to get into a park, really puts it into perspective.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    When I think of how many days I need to work just to get into a park, really puts it into perspective.
    Just think of family prices... This past weekend cost me $200/person/day (infant included in person count). Talk about expensive.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Just think of family prices... This past weekend cost me $200/person/day (infant included in person count). Talk about expensive.
    Thats why I dont have kids, they cost too much.

• Down Pluto!

But they eventually turn 30 and move out...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Probably depends on the market forces around DL. I think with WDW going up it seemed more a response to how much Universal Orlando had gone up than any actually need of WDW to go up.

• Former Churro Jockey

Wow, so I guess that means I'd better enjoy the last two and a half years or so of two-digit ticket prices for DLR as well. If it's $92 right now, you figure it goes up to $95 later this year, then maybe $99 the year after that, and then that's it. I guess that will be something I can tell my kids about!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    They say on the Jungle Cruise (as you're passing the Indy queue) that they cling on to you for 18 years. Did the Jungle Cruise LIE???

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Wow, so I guess that means I'd better enjoy the last two and a half years or so of two-digit ticket prices for DLR as well. If it's $92 right now, you figure it goes up to $95 later this year, then maybe $99 the year after that, and then that's it. I guess that will be something I can tell my kids about!
    Kids move out, but in today's economy, sometimes they never leave, or they leave and come back because they can't make it on their own.

My mom always told the story about how they laughed at their father when he said, someday a loaf of bread would cost a quarter. Now it's way over a dollar, and a gallon of milk cost as much as a gallon of gas.

Prices are never going to go down. Problem is, my husband hasn't had a salary increase in over 10 years. His company gives him overtime, and a yearly bonus, but won't increase his salary.

I know the day will come when I won't be able to squeeze a Disneyland trip out of my budget, and my WDW trips are few and far between already.

It is a business after all. I won't go as far as saying they promote happiness in their commercials, as they think of ways to take more of my money, because there's still enough enjoyment in a vacation to tempt me to begin saving for my next possible visit.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast