Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Has disney abandoned the dlr

Of course they haven't abandoned it, but they do have to focus on other things right now. Things at DL and DCA are both pretty good, but things in other places are not as good. They just spent a ton of money rennovating the Disney Magic (their oldest cruise ship), they are currently building the new Fantasyland over at MK and just finished the DVC wing at the Grand Floridian. They are building a new Disneyland in Shangahi. With the success of Aulani I have no doubt that another independant DVC resort is in the works. Avatarland is coming soon to AK. They just spent several billion dollars buying LucasFilm and Marvel. So I think right now they just don't have a ton of money to allocate to DLR. But that will change. I personally am hoping that the (unexpected?) success of Frozen will at least mean we get a good new parade. It's been at least 15 years since I've been interested in any of the parades at the park.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Not the Hawkguy

It really doesn't make any sense to undertake a big construction project this close to the 60th anniversary. I think that TDA is (rightly) focusing on getting the parks back up to top condition in time for that milestone, which means a ton of refurbishments in the next year. I'd expect actual construction on new things to begin sometime in 2016.

• Artistic integrity

Lets just say for the sake of argument ... the heads in Burbank are holding back on any major spending to the DLR for the foreseeable future.

Once the co. has a new ceo .. which is 2 years away ... anything could change.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Lets just say for the sake of argument ... the heads in Burbank are holding back on any major spending to the DLR for the foreseeable future.

I have to admire your optimism. But personally, I don't see anyone in Disney's ranks who won't be a 100% Iger follower. You have to remember, the guy is like a god to the money people in the company. He's grown the company massively and Disney's stock has never done better.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDADD View Post
    They've spent a billion at WDW in that time frame as well, and have about another billion on the table with all of the expansions. Why aren't they waiting around to see what happens in Orlando.
    Also, it is still evident that the next expansion, if we see one in the next 5 years, needs to be at DCA again. The fact that they think the next major investment needs to be at DL simply because DCA had its shot and now it's DL's turn in the rotation really makes me question if TDA has any clue whatsoever. DCA is still drawing a little over half of DL attendance and this was most evident during the holidays. This was one reason I was so excited about Monstropolis because it made me believe that they understood this as well.
    TDA's national advertising campaign has been one of the worst I've ever seen. In Dallas we get an occasional late night commercial that doesn't differentiate itself enough that a casual viewer would understand this is Disney in California, and we get an occasional radio spot with the same problems. It comes off as cheap and as if they have no budget for advertising.
    They have been waiting around at WDW. They haven't done anything significant in decades. Not sure what this recent billion you're talking about went to other then MyMagic+, but the FL project came in under half a billion. Then they spent on some minor refurbs like Star Tours and Test Track. I think most WDW fans would say that the new DTD and Avatar are their version of Cars Land. So in reality, DLR was, until recently, the biggest priority.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Not here to help

Disneyland is a nice museum
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

Abandoned the Disneyland Resort? That is seriously far-fetched. Sheesh.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Not a bad projection. That also is roughly the window in which any damage caused by WWOHP West would need to be addressed.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

@TimmyTimmyTimmy

You wrote "Disneyland is a nice museum"

Seriously? It's such a "museum" that nearly every single Disney Resort has a version of Disneyland's:

Main Street Vehicles
    Disney Railroad
    Rivers of America
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Star Tours
    it's a small world
    Jungle Cruise
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Mad Tea Party
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Snow White's Scary Adventures

I personally can't wait to enjoy 2015 and DL's 60th in perfect shape with no construction walls anywhere. Give me a year of that, then we can talk.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    Everyone is complaining about DLR and crowd levels so why on earth would the same people want new attractions. If you add a whole new land to Disneyland be it a new fantasyland or Star Wars land you are gonna get a huge rise in attendance.
    More attractions will actually help spread out the crowds, sure, it will bring in more people, especially right after it opens, but in the long term it disperses the crowds throughout the park. Not building new attractions to avoid increasing attendance is crazy.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

I dunno about them abandoning the DLR but I just saw the WDW Mine Train ride thru and it looks awful. Very underwhelming. It was more like a tour of the roofs of Fantasyland.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Senior Minion

I do think that DL is feeling a little stale needs something new, but it's still is such a great park that it usually satisfies most visitors. I also definitely understand the situation, which really goes all the way back to DCA's initial failure. They have had to put most of the money allocated to the resort into that park for the past decade. Now they are in a process of recouping those expenses, which they had been getting some pressure from Wall Street to do, plus they have an anniversary coming up. It was to be expected that there would be some delay before new projects started. They may have been further delayed for other reasons, but that's no reason to expect that DL won't get some attention relatively soon.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I dunno about them abandoning the DLR but I just saw the WDW Mine Train ride thru and it looks awful. Very underwhelming. It was more like a tour of the roofs of Fantasyland.
    I've seen the ride-thru as well. I wouldn't say it looks horrible, but at the same time, it doesn't look very exciting. There was talk about it being a D-ticket at best. That's exactly what it looks like.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

We all have to remember Disney is a corporation and had to adhere to budgets, expenses and other financial worries. As much money as we all put into the parks doesn't mean they have a limitless supply to redo and upgrade things. All business have to run with certain thigs in mind. This may not be as fun as new attractions opening every month or at different parts of the empire. It will all even out over time. Unfortunately I think we can be impatient at times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast