Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Has disney abandoned the dlr

I'm starting to get worried for my beloved DLR. There seams to have been a shift in the way Burbank feels about the DLR. There was so much mojo for the resort and it seamed as if Disney was so pleased that they wanted to go ahead with further expansion.
    Now it seams as if they have completely abandoned any future plans for the resort. Eiger mentioned that WDW and Asia had record attendance but mentioned nothing about DLR. I wonder if they are disappointed with DLR attendance almost 2 years after the DCA makeover and have decided any significant future investment in Anaheim just isn't worth it.
    It now seams that almost all of the cost cutting within parks and resorts is coming from DLR, meanwhile billions are being spent in Florida on new hotels, DVC's, attractions, DTD expansion and Avatarland. A new hotel was also just announced for Hong Kong following a huge park investment there.
    If any of you are familiar with laughingplace, then you are probably familiar with member leemac. He is an extremely reliable inside source intimately informed on all aspects of Disney, usually more in a financial capacity. He is currently working for Disney in Asia.
    He has stated that there is absolutely nothing planned or being planned or even on a long term agenda within Burbank for a 3rd gate in Anaheim. He also stated that there isn't even an appetite within Burbank for another hotel. He stated that numerous proposals had been given over the past few years and were immediately all rejected.
    Currently, it is a very depressing time to be a DLR enthusiast. There seams to be nothing of any significance in the way of new attractions or lands for DLR except budget cutting measures. I fear they have given up on DLR and TDA is left with only there operating budget to do anything for the resort. Hence the axing of anything for the anniversary, MONSTROPOLIS, and Star Wars.
    It seams as if they are turning all of their attention to where they feel the future is, and it's not in Anaheim.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Has disney abandoned the dlr

I don't know how the RECORD attendance nearly every day of the year could be viewed as underperformance. They need to step up the maintenance game though because this was the first time I've seen the parks "dirty"

• Singing Drinker

When they started "repairing" DCA, the usual wisdom during the rumor barrage included them letting Disneyland sit with minimal investment (it didn't need fixing) for a decade or so until DCA was considered to be fully 'repaired'.

I think that point's occurred, from any rumors drifting down it sounds like TDA is on the same page.

Right now, the general consensus is that the investor market wants return from that intensive building period in DCA and the FL complex projects.

There's evidence that this probably won't last long - if the latest attendance projections showing DL losing attendance are true (and the recent park price promotions are a good signal that they are) then DL's going to go back on the list for new additions.

As far as Star Wars, the closure of several rides in DL or any of the other hotly contested rumors, don't believe them until the ride opens. That's good advice to remember for ANY information on a coming ride, even the info from Disney.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Done with MC.

I've actually been impressed with the amount of painting, repairs and general maint. THere's mush more to be done but it's promising.
    It gives me some hope for DLR and if that's all they do then I will be pleased. I don't care so much about a bunch of new stuff, I just want the park up to Walts standards. With that I will be content and we will return to the park.

• I'm not really here

They just spent over a billion on the DLR a few short years ago. Disney had decade long plans for the parks. 3 years is nothing. Patience. They haven't abandoned the resort at all. They are letting it sit without massive construction everywhere for a little bit. Letting it do its thing while they finalize plans and make sure everything is ready to go for their next wave of things they want to do.

Trust me, Disneyland itself will see construction walls and projects in the not so distant future.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sock Puppet

They've spent a billion at WDW in that time frame as well, and have about another billion on the table with all of the expansions. Why aren't they waiting around to see what happens in Orlando.
    Also, it is still evident that the next expansion, if we see one in the next 5 years, needs to be at DCA again. The fact that they think the next major investment needs to be at DL simply because DCA had its shot and now it's DL's turn in the rotation really makes me question if TDA has any clue whatsoever. DCA is still drawing a little over half of DL attendance and this was most evident during the holidays. This was one reason I was so excited about Monstropolis because it made me believe that they understood this as well.
    TDA's national advertising campaign has been one of the worst I've ever seen. In Dallas we get an occasional late night commercial that doesn't differentiate itself enough that a casual viewer would understand this is Disney in California, and we get an occasional radio spot with the same problems. It comes off as cheap and as if they have no budget for advertising.

They spent a ton on DCA. They also are still completely rebuilding BTMRR. While we all get excited for new attractions, I personally hate construction walls. I think DLR is going to do a ton of refurbs this year and maintenance this year, will do less major maintenance next year, then probably start some big projects after that. They dont need another new big thing, RSR is still pulling in people from all over the country and isnt getting any less popular. People complain that Disneyland hasnt had a new major e ticket since Indiana Jones often overlook the fact that we got a whole new park, then got a huge reinvestment in that park. We need to let the dust settle, enjoy the 60th, then we can start complaining about new attractions agani

I actually think DLR is doing quite well.

To put this in perspective, Disney is basically saying "I need a cigarette" after the tons of money spent on DCA. They are currently in the smoking phase right now.

I don't blame them for letting the place "take a rest" if you get my drift.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Rock Star Minion

They spent a ton on DCA because they built it wrong in the first place. (And then for ten year denied that it was built wrong in the first place.)
    One hopes that a lesson was learned from that process.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disneyland History Lover

I'd love for new work to begin on something exciting at the DLR, but quite honestly, after all those years of walls all over DCA, I'm good with them taking a break for a bit. Plus, the parks seem to be doing quite well on their own without new offerings.

With all the record attendance and hotel capacity...not sure I would WANT anything to bring MORE guests to the resort!

...which is probably why we have seen a halt to some of the latest rumored projects. Why spend money when the current model is doing quite well!...for now

I would like to see another resort hotel above anything else!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    They spent a ton on DCA because they built it wrong in the first place. (And then for ten year denied that it was built wrong in the first place.)
    One hopes that a lesson was learned from that process.
    What lesson could they have possibly learned? The 1.2 billion spent on the expansion of DCA has brought In fewer new guests to the resort than the original billion 2 million new vs the original 5).

If there is a lesson here, it is that Anaheim is a moneypit and they are better off spending elsewhere.

Maybe, just maybe they are not turning their back on DLR as much as they are acting rationally to the environment they are in. IF you had two businesses one in a state where you were taxed and regulated to the nth degree and the other where you had much lower taxes and fewer regulations, which one would you want to put more money into? I think if you want to find the big bad wolf that is threatening DL it isn't the folks with the mouse ear pins, its the folks in Sacramento and to an even greater extent your fellow Californians that voted them into office.

I would seriously question any corporate executive's sanity if they had an option of expansion in California vs Florida and picked California.

• Minion

A big E-ticket ride is opening in Disneyland this year. Unfortunately, it looks exactly like a big E-ticket ride from Yesterland -- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Disney just finished a huge amount of time spent in upgrading CA. With the addition of Buena Vista street and Cars Land, it has made the resort a more emissive experience and has achieve their goal of getting 2-3 days out of guests.

They now need to focus on other parks that need the love like Studios in Paris and Animal Kingdom.

Everyone is complaining about DLR and crowd levels so why on earth would the same people want new attractions. If you add a whole new land to Disneyland be it a new fantasyland or Star Wars land you are gonna get a huge rise in attendance.

New stuff will be coming but DLR just doesn't need it right now. It's quite a complete experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast