• TipTopClub1939

Smile Dapper Day with Walt Disney! (DLR - 2/23/14)

Hello everyone! I am new to these forums (shocking) but after I finally managed to get through registration, I am on here! I wanted to share my experience with you all about Dapper Day at Disneyland this past Sunday!

This past DD was my third overall andby then, I had mastered the art of being Dapper and how to fully enjoy this fast growing event! I first went exactly a year ago, but never got to stay the whole day to really enjoy it! Then back in September, I went with my now girlfriend for the whole day and we Disneybounded as Carl and Ellie from UP, complete with balloons and even an ADVENTURE BOOK purse that she made! But I knew that for this year in Spring, I wanted to pull out all the stops and take on the resort as the original Dapper Man himself...Walt Disney!

In anticipation of the day, I had been growing out my mustache and building a "Walt-esque" wardrobe and started taking a few photos that recreate many famous photographs of Walt Disney! I got a lot of positive feedback on them about my attention to detail an uncanny resemblance!

Name:  MickeyPainting-SideBySide.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  239.5 KB

Name:  Walt&Mickey1-SidebySide.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  246.7 KB

Name:  Walt&Mickey2-SideBySide.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  210.7 KB

Name:  MultipleMickeySideBySide.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  247.4 KB

Name:  AmericanOriginal-SideBySide.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  229.9 KB

So the day arrived and my girlfriend and I (who also went as Lilly, naturally) headed over to the resort bright and early! I had to renew my Annual Pass, but we made our way into DCA! We started to take a few photos around BVS and took a great photo with the Storytellers statue! My Walt, her Lilly, and our vintage Mickey Mouse doll really sold our outfits! We met up with many new friends and took many more photos, most around BVS. I even got a personal stamp of approval from PhiPhi the photographer that I had the best Dapper Day outfit she has ever seen...to which I played the role of Walt Disney and gave her a business card (a recreation of his original CARTOONIST CARD that he once used.) She was sold on it!

After a few rides and more photos in DCA, we went over to Disneyland to continue with more photos, meeting new friends, and spotting other Dapper Day guests! While it was very crowded that day, we didn't notice it because we were too busy enjoying the atmosphere and outfits that everyone had!

Name:  1782129_10200699926379519_1063674389_n.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  1926855_10200699926019510_1959219288_n.jpg
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  1932704_483509248427371_518427314_o.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  232.0 KB

We had a quick picnic lunch of PB&J sandwiches brought from home on Tom Sawyer's Island and I went into "Walt" mode when I noticed a group of teens climing over a barracade to sneak into the closed off "INJUN JOE'S CAVE." I spoke don the end of the cave and told them that it was blocked for a reason and they needed to exit immediately! Whether or not I was dressed like Walt, I do what I can to protect the nature and integrity of his park from guests who think they can do whatever they want!

Our group went back to the Big Thunder Jamboree tomeet with a few LONG LOST FRIENDS! This was when my Dapper Day outfit really sent people into overdrive! I was standing watching a few guests get their picture taken with Horace the Horse and Clarabelle the Cow....Horace saw me as Walt Disney and stepped out of his zone just to come over, shake my hand, and take a picture with me!! I decided to stand in line to get some formal photos myself and the two of them had a blast! Clarabelle snuck a few kisses as well! Robin Hood and Friar Tuck came out and the same thing happened again! they were both ecstatic at me being Walt Disney that they followed me out of the photo area, bowing! I wish I was joking...but this actually happened! I had never been so happy or cheerful!!

Name:  1688167_483508751760754_1410135066_n.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  170.7 KB

Next was the Mark Twain Mixer...this line of Dappers had wrapped ALL THE WAY AROUND THE RIVER to the Haunted Mansion!!! It was insane! But alas we found some friends who let us in with them and we got onto the boat! I got a few more "Hey Uncle Walt, can we take a picture??!!" comments and rode the boat around the river! Always an amazing time! I even found a cinematographer who was on hand at the boat filming the crowd and asked if he would like to film me! I did and he got a few shots of me sitting on a bench with Mickey just admiring the crowd! We also participated in the large Disneybounders group photo at Sleeping Beauty's Castle! What an amazing group of people!

Finally, the best part of the day came when we went back over to DCA. WE wanted to get drinks at the Carthay Circle Lounge, but it was too crowded so we opted for margaritas at Pacific Wharf instead! In the weeks beforehand, I organized an online group for fans of the Tower of Terror and wanted to have a group ride with everyone in the elevator dressed Dapper! It happened and we had an entire group of 21 Dapper Guests dressed their best! It made for an epic photo and a wonderful conclusion to the day!!

Name:  tot.jpg
Size:  113.2 KB

I enjoyed going as Walt for a few reasons:
    -Meeting as many new friends as I could
    -Playing my role with many of the characters, cast members.
    -Seeing the looks on guests faces (young and old alike) when I walked by!

Would I do it again?? In a heartbeat! Who says it HAS TO BE Dapper Day for me to go dressed as Walt Disney?? Maybe he will return again very soon!

Name:  1796962_10200702041592398_1562078333_o.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  103.4 KB

If you got a picture with me on Dapper Day, I would love to see it!! (by the way...im still learning how to use the forums and upload good size photos. Can anyone teach me properly how to upload and post full size photos??!!)
    "You are the passengers on a most uncommon elevator about to take the strangest journey of your lives." - Rod Serling

Re: Dapper Day with Walt Disney! (DLR - 2/23/14)

Love it, love the shoes! And the dedication with the stache- is it still there?

• TipTopClub1939

Quote Originally Posted by miz bell View Post
    Love it, love the shoes! And the dedication with the stache- is it still there?
    It is still there! I haven't decided what to do with it just yet! Promised the girlfriend I would shave it off so she could have a clean face to kiss
    "You are the passengers on a most uncommon elevator about to take the strangest journey of your lives." - Rod Serling

• Mouseke-Awesome

I totally rode the Mark Twain with you at the same time!!! When I saw you I said to myself "Holy cr*p that guy looks like Walt!!" I was going to ask for a picture but didn't for some reason Thank you for sharing your pictures, especially you re-creation shots. Awesome idea

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• formerly very helpful

We met you waiting for the Mark Twain. You took photos with my two daughters. They were very excited to tell you how they visited "your" house in Marceline. (I'm at work now, so I'll have to share my photo with you a little later.)
    It was a lot of fun seeing you and pretending you were the real Uncle Walt. I was never around to see him at Disneyland, but I kinda get the idea of what it may have been like.

• TipTopClub1939

Quote Originally Posted by TanyAnnette View Post
    I totally rode the Mark Twain with you at the same time!!! When I saw you I said to myself "Holy cr*p that guy looks like Walt!!" I was going to ask for a picture but didn't for some reason Thank you for sharing your pictures, especially you re-creation shots. Awesome idea
    Haha you should've asked for a picture!! I was taking pictures with people all day!!

• TipTopClub1939

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    We met you waiting for the Mark Twain. You took photos with my two daughters. They were very excited to tell you how they visited "your" house in Marceline. (I'm at work now, so I'll have to share my photo with you a little later.)
    It was a lot of fun seeing you and pretending you were the real Uncle Walt. I was never around to see him at Disneyland, but I kinda get the idea of what it may have been like.
    I really enjoyed taking photos! It felt so fun to get all the reactions from guests, young and old alike! I can't wait to see your photos from Marceline!!