Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Red Face Abandoned Peoplemover Tracks

If memory serves, the Peoplemover tracks have been abandoned since 2000. That's a whopping 14 years! The Fantasyland Skyway station has been abandoned even longer, but it isn't as glaringly visible to park guests. Why do you think Disney hasn't done anything with them yet? My first visit after a 16-year absence was in 2005, and I was surprised that it had been five years with no progress being made! The current situation borders on incredulity. From 1955 to about 1988, there had never been an attraction shuttered for that long with no sign of something to replace it.
    Last edited by VintageMouse; 02-26-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: grammar

• Singing Drinker

Re: Abandoned Peoplemover Tracks

There's been a lot of chatter recently about removing the Fantasyland Skyway station, fwiw.

As to the PM tracks...

*sigh*
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rock Star Minion

Currently, they provide shade. That's what I see them used for the most.

No one has come up with a good enough idea for them, yet. (I mean someone from Imagineering, not from here. Any ideas posted here are likely deemed unusable by the potential lawsuits by the creators.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• DL Vistor Since 1968

We need to form a posse with pitchforks and torches, march up to TDA, and DEMAND that something be done. OK, just kidding (but wouldn't that be glorious?). Tomorrowland used to be the most visually exciting land of them all, in my humble opinion. I really feel that those in charge simply don't understand how awesome and compelling the 1967 version of Tomorrowland was. And when Space Mountain opened in 1977, it was darn near perfect! Now it's a depressing shell of it's former self and suffers from an extreme case of cognitive dissonance. Something needs to be done, and Star Wars (as much as I love it!) really isn't the answer.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Just the other day I was watching an old gameshow and said to myself....."gee I miss the Peoplemover".
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Currently, they provide shade. That's what I see them used for the most.

No one has come up with a good enough idea for them, yet. (I mean someone from Imagineering, not from here. Any ideas posted here are likely deemed unusable by the potential lawsuits by the creators.)
    That is a scathing commentary on the current state of imagineering (or management, if a good idea gets squashed).

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There's been a lot of chatter recently about removing the Fantasyland Skyway station, fwiw.

As to the PM tracks...

*sigh*
    le sigh, it hurts my heart seeing the tracks
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

• Special Agent

They will replace the PeopleMoverbuild a new attraction in Tomorrowland when they need to. Right now they don't need to.

• Donald's #1 Fan

The abandoned PeopleMover tracks (and to a lesser extent, the Fantasyland Skyway Tower and the abandoned Motorcruise lagoon) are TDA's biggest middle finger ever to all DL's fans.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    They will replace the PeopleMoverbuild a new attraction in Tomorrowland when they need to. Right now they don't need to.
    On a financial basis alone, I would agree with you. The park is doing fine money-wise. With that said, when does the current state of decay become unacceptable to the majority of their guests?

• Senior Minion

America Sings was shuttered with no replacement for quite a while too. But point taken, things are have generally not been left to sit for this long.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    The abandoned PeopleMover tracks (and to a lesser extent, the Fantasyland Skyway Tower and the abandoned Motorcruise lagoon) are TDA's biggest middle finger ever to all DL's fans.
    I don't see the MB cruise in the same light. At lease it makes for a nice looking and quiet area of the park and helps screen Autopia from FL.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Hooterville, USA

I heard they are bringing back the PM.

Heard it right here on MC.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    I heard they are bringing back the PM.

Heard it right here on MC.
    Hilarious! I will add that even the 1967 and 1977 versions of Tomorrowland were not perfectly unified in theme; there were attractions back then that didn't fit Walt's premise (Autopia, Subs). What tied everything together so nicely was the Peoplemover. It was like the life blood of that section of the park; providing a preview of the attractions, handling large capacity crowds, and serving as a visual stimulus and symbol of the land. The life blood has been drained and the patient is in critical condition. There is nothing that ties everything together. It's almost like the confusing carnival atmosphere that Walt DIDN'T want in the first place.

• Still lost in Neverland

For those of you who do not live out here, the MTA has a light rail line (The Green Line) that runs East/West from Norwalk to Redondo Beach which is not far from LAX but stops short of taking passengers into the airport. You have to walk to a shuttle bus to do that. Now I hear that talks are going on to somehow complete that missing link to connect properly and one of the things that is on the list is a people mover that would go from the train stop into the airport making 3 stops at terminals and then of course because its a big circle it would come back to the train station. I really hope this comes to be. It's the best and less expensive way to complete the run.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast