Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

Re: Is Soarin' going HD on Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I thought I read, probably in a Mice Chat update, that Disney was unhappy with what IMAX had to offer and that is why the long refurbishment was canceled. More work needs to be done before they transmission is made.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    If I recall correctly an update later than the one you cited stated that the big overhaul was being postponed due to the BTMRR delays.
    I guess I must have missed that one. What a big disappointment! My family has been excited about this for a while now. Both of my parents were eagerly anticipating the digital makeover. It's my mother's favorite ride in the whole resort, and it's one of the few my dad will go on every trip. Thank you guys for the information. I appreciate it!

I can't seem to find the right article. The last update I see is from January 7th? MiceChat - MiceAge Update I'll try to find it back going back a few pages on the home page.

There is no such thing as IMAX HD technically. The HD or 48 frame-per-second process failed after the lone introduction of Momentum in 1992. However, interestingly enough Soarin' uses a retrofitted IMAX Dome projector to project at 48 fps.

In reality there are two IMAX projection formats- 15/70 and Digital IMAX (aka LieMAX), which is two 2K projectors that simultaneously project the same image increasing the brightness.

IMAX does not offer a 4K option, so I'm certain that if Disney is going this route then IMAX is not involved in the conversion. Later this year IMAX is expected to unveil their new Laser projector.

15/70 projection has always exceeded the quality of a high-definition consumer monitor. HD is a commonly misused term now days. It's supposed to apply to consumer products (televisions), but now marketers use the term incorrectly all the time.

This will be a downgrade of the Soarin' Over California attraction if they go with digital projection and there is no way they will properly fill the screen with a quality image with the equipment that is currently available. The best scenario would be to wait for the IMAX laser projector and upgrade at that time.
    Last edited by ericg; 02-27-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Once again, my extremely vague descriptions are too accurate and everything is being taken out of context unfortunately.
    Last edited by disneyguy115; 03-12-2014 at 05:46 AM.

• Minion

Are they really going through with Soarin' Over the World?? If so, I personally find that to be incredibly disappointing. Works for Epcot (and I'd be pleased to see it there. It would give me a reason to take the time to ride their Soarin'), not so much for CALIFORNIA Adventure. How much more must they degrade the CA theme?

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Digital simply won't be able to match the quality of film - at least for not a long, long time. I sincerely hope they won't switch over to digital.
    Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised to see them going to the IMax digital, which would be a disappointment. The last time I went to an IMax digital theater I was actually able to see the individual pixels. I have no idea what resolution it was but it was not the old film I grew up on.

• What's that word again?

Quote Originally Posted by disneyguy115 View Post
    Well they are filming a new video this month anyway.... Sooo why not upgrade everything
    Is this still happening? And on March 12th (next Wednesday)? If so, how come Disney Parks Blog hasn't said a peep? I was planning on visiting with friends to try and get in the recording.

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by mickEblu View Post
    I hope they just get rid of those black spots on the screen.
    Just this would be a great improvement.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

It's a great attraction, but, yes it seems the picture or screen had degraded

I hope they don't add too much scent... I noticed the last year there seemed to be more scent and I notice more people sneezing at the same points in the presentation.
    the "Christmas" scent had a couple friends sneezing last holiday
    perhaps because I worked in medical too many years, I wonder if they will increase fragrance until some guests have asthma attacks then they will tell the cast they have to wear unscented deodorant.

I love the ocean scent... they should sell it ;-)... in the Soaring gift shoppe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12