Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Interesting Article About The Un-Gangs/Social Clubs Of Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    The article makes it seem like Disney supports these groups, which is not correct.
    Whether that was the impression the author wanted to give or not, I agree. Especially the first half of the piece.
    SCs are getting a bad reputation for setting up situations to entrap cast members and then writing complaints about them. It seems some SCs feel the service at Disneyland is deteriorating and this is their way of "helping" the CMs improve.
    It takes all kinds, I suppose. But, whether they all dress alike in sleeveless denim or not, there are a lot of people, SCers and non-SCers, who are unreasonably (and in some cases intrusively) eager to "be a part of the magic".

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Oh, they're not gangs, they've vigilantes, that makes it so much better. Disney needs to ban this behavior immediately. I have never more disgusted or offended then the last time I was in the park and felt by these jackbooted thugs who seemed to be everywhere and made me very uncomfortable.
    Did you even read the article?

Why was it you felt uncomfortable, because they looked differently than you? And you feel the need to label them "jackbooted thugs" that's very big of you..
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Oh, they're not gangs, they've vigilantes, that makes it so much better. Disney needs to ban this behavior immediately. I have never more disgusted or offended then the last time I was in the park and felt by these jackbooted thugs who seemed to be everywhere and made me very uncomfortable.
    I agree with Bob. Feeling up the Park guests is over the line. Unless you're into it.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

That's very interesting. So much changes when you don't go to the park for a few year. Aside from the pot smokers, what's the problem here?
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Mouse Maniac

Isn't this fad over?
    These people really need to get over themselves.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    If they had tried to roust the guy themselves I would agree they were vigilantes and out of line, but unless I read the article wrong they just called security on a guy that definitely deserved to be dealt with by security. Was that a bad thing in some way?
    It depends.

If they're at the parks doing their own thing and one off see something like this go down and report it, that's awesome and I would hope every park guest would do the same.

However, and I'm not saying this is the case but I can see it going down this road, if they start coming to the park specifically to look for behavior they don't think should be happening and reporting it, then that is absolutely vigilantism. It is any group of people who are not in enforcement taking on the role of enforcement themselves. They are then policing the parks.

The same thing can be said of CM entrapment if that is actually happening. We think you could be a better cast member so we're going to try to get you to do something wrong so we can report you.

I don't have a problem wish social clubs per se. I do have a problem in that this invariably will lead to territorialism (which I am already hearing about from some), and as competition to see who is the most Disney social club ramps up over time you will see these sorts of behaviors manifest more and more. Maybe not from the clubs there now, but from new ones who form specifically to fill this role.

In fact, if anyone needs to write a thesis for anthropology, sociology or psychology, this is being handed to you on a silver platter.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 02-28-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Grammar

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It depends.

If they're at the parks doing their own thing and one off see something like this go down and report it, that's awesome and I would hope every park guest would do the same.

However, and I'm not saying this is the case but I can see it going down this road, if they start coming to the park specifically to look for behavior they don't think should be happening and reporting it, then that is absolutely vigilantism. It is any group of people who are not in enforcement taking on the role of enforcement themselves. They are then policing the parks.

The same thing can be said of CM entrapment if that is actually happening. We think you could be a better cast member so we're going to try to get you to do something wrong so we can report you.

I don't have a problem wish social clubs per se. I do have a problem in that this invariably will lead to territorialism (which I am already hearing about from some), and as competition to see who is the most Disney social club ramps up over time you will see these sorts of behaviors manifest more and more. Maybe not from the clubs there now, but from new ones who form specifically to fill this role.

In fact, if anyone needs to write a thesis for anthropology, sociology or psychology, this is being handed to you on a silver platter.
    I go to the parks almost every weekend, I see these clubs all the time, most of the time they are just in lines going on rides, hanging out as a group what have you. A LOT have kids with them that have little vests on too, which are pretty dang cute haha.

As for CM entrapment, just sounds like another rumor like the "territorialism" rumor that was debunked a long time ago on here..

Here is a link to a CAST MEMBER ONLY social club. So it seems like some cast members like this idea:

ink361.com/app/users/540471483/photos
    Last edited by Mind Tricks; 02-28-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Gino USMC View Post
    I wont say which club but it involves shoulder checking people in the parking garage and saying "what are you going to do about it?"
    That would be SAMCRO.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I agree with Bob. Feeling up the Park guests is over the line. Unless you're into it.
    Depends on who’s doing the feeling.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Actually, that doesn’t quite rise to the level of vigilantism. It is more akin to neighborhood watch. They would be looking for bad behavior and reporting it to the appropriate authorities to handle it.

If they sought out malcontents and decided to handle it themselves, without waiting for the proper authorities to handle it, then it would rise to the level of vigilantism.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Under that tree again!

Hell's Angels at Altamount. It was all cool, for a while.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Tricks View Post
    I go to the parks almost every weekend, I see these clubs all the time, most of the time they are just in lines going on rides, hanging out as a group what have you. A LOT have kids with them that have little vests on too, which are pretty dang cute haha.

As for CM entrapment, just sounds like another rumor like the "territorialism" rumor that was debunked a long time ago on here..

Here is a link to a CAST MEMBER ONLY social club. So it seems like some cast members like this idea:

ink361.com/app/users/540471483/photos
    Link not working.

• Lynn (The Sweep Spot)

What do they do fight like westside story with churros?

I'm sorry but anybody that goes to a theme park dressed in gang/club like attire even if it's just cheesy matching denim jackets are just strange to me.

I am surprised they are allowed in wearing the 'cuts'. If motorcycle gangs are not allowed in, but the social clubs are, i would imagine Disney is open to a large lawsuit.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    I am surprised they are allowed in wearing the 'cuts'. If motorcycle gangs are not allowed in, but the social clubs are, i would imagine Disney is open to a large lawsuit.
    First off, I'm not sure that biker gangs are not allowed, but if they aren't on what ground would they have to sue?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast