Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Interesting Article About The Un-Gangs/Social Clubs Of Disneyland

I have to admit that the article did nudge my opinion on these clubs a bit.

If they were to be banned from the park, I would hope the park banned any large group of like-minded individuals that decided to go on the same day. School groups, Asian tours, family reunions and especially any Disney fan events. And forget about those red shirt days...

No, there's absolutely no reason to ban an entire group of people based on prejudices that have no basis in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    First off, I'm not sure that biker gangs are not allowed, but if they aren't on what ground would they have to sue?
    From what I understand no gang attire (including cuts) are allowed in the park. I would say it could be considered discrimination if sc clubs are allowed to wear their cuts, but a motorcycle gang is not.

(probably should have been clearer on that. My apologies!)

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    From what I understand no gang attire (including cuts) are allowed in the park. I would say it could be considered discrimination if sc clubs are allowed to wear their cuts, but a motorcycle gang is not.

(probably should have been clearer on that. My apologies!)
    I think that this is where context and intent come into play. It's not just the article of clothing; it's what it represents in the real world. A bandana could possibly be considered gang attire, but if I come in wearing a bandana with Donald Duck on it, it's obviously very different than the bandana that a Crip or Blood might wear. They'd likely let me in and keep the Crip/Blood bandana out.

If I have a kid and I let her come to the park dressed as a storybook style pirate they will let her in. If I have her come in dressed as what is know as a pirate of today - the type that have hijacked ships in the Mediterranean the Persian Gulf - they would not let her past the gate, and rightfully not.

Similarly, perhaps with the SCs there's an understanding and realization that these clubs are not gangs and they do not engage in criminal activity, so their vests are considered okay for the parks.

•   
    • Minion

I just finished reading the article, and I thought it made an attempt to see both sides. There are some who claim the SCs are bad guests; there are some who claim the stories about their being bad guests are false or exaggerated, and there are others who claim they do great things. I'd guess there's a kernel of truth in all three of those ideas. Every group has bad apples and good ones, too.

I will say again that in my own experience, in going to the parks frequently, I've never seen anyone in a SC do anything other than wait politely on line for rides/shows/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It depends.

If they're at the parks doing their own thing and one off see something like this go down and report it, that's awesome and I would hope every park guest would do the same.

However, and I'm not saying this is the case but I can see it going down this road, if they start coming to the park specifically to look for behavior they don't think should be happening and reporting it, then that is absolutely vigilantism. It is any group of people who are not in enforcement taking on the role of enforcement themselves. They are then policing the parks.

The same thing can be said of CM entrapment if that is actually happening. We think you could be a better cast member so we're going to try to get you to do something wrong so we can report you.

I don't have a problem wish social clubs per se. I do have a problem in that this invariably will lead to territorialism (which I am already hearing about from some), and as competition to see who is the most Disney social club ramps up over time you will see these sorts of behaviors manifest more and more. Maybe not from the clubs there now, but from new ones who form specifically to fill this role.

In fact, if anyone needs to write a thesis for anthropology, sociology or psychology, this is being handed to you on a silver platter.
    No, that's not vigilantism. That's being a tattle tale or a snitch or an annoying busy body with no life. If they are just reporting and not enforcing then they are not vigilantes. So, you see some things "going down this road" and "invariably" leading to bad things...but nothing to complain about yet? Then maybe you give them the benefit of the doubt until you do actually see some bad behavior of some kind.

And I've finally read a specific complaint. One person heard from a cast member that one unnamed club tries to set them up. Now usually when posts like that come up, people start talking about grains of salt and such. But anyway if that IS true then I can see where some of this anger is coming from.

• Foolish Mortal

If they chose to wear matching crew neck sweatshirts would most of the people still have issues with them? I haven't seen any wrong doing from any of the SC's, but I'm only at the park 2-3 times a month.

• Senior Monorail Minion

You know what's most interesting about this fad?

When only deluxe or premium passes are valid, the "social clubs" are almost non-existent. Based on attendance patterns, eliminating the two lower pass levels and payment plans would drastically reduce social clubs.

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again: no one who loves Disney that much would make other guests feel unsafe due to their attire. I go Disney with a group of friends multiple nights a week... I don't need to look like a gang member to prove it.

Maybe I should start wearing a shirt that says "DLR Gang Enforcement" and hand out injunctions...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    No, that's not vigilantism. That's being a tattle tale or a snitch or an annoying busy body with no life. If they are just reporting and not enforcing then they are not vigilantes.
    Like I said, if this was a thing where they just noticed something and reported it, that's awesome and I hope more people would do that. However, I also said if they come to the park specifically to look for things they feel are wrong and enforce their view of the rules by reporting, then that becomes vigilantism.
    The legal definition of vigilante:
    Taking the law into one's own hands and attempting to effect justice according to one's own understanding of right and wrong; action taken by a voluntary association of persons who organize themselves for the purpose of protecting a common interest, such as liberty, property, or personal security; action taken by an individual or group to protest existing law; action taken by an individual or group to enforce a higher law than that enacted by society's designated lawmaking institutions; private enforcement of legal norms in the absence of an established, reliable, and effective law enforcement body.

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    If they chose to wear matching crew neck sweatshirts would most of the people still have issues with them?
    I could care less if they don't wear anything matching at all. It isn't the clothing, but the behavioral patterns that this sort of thing almost invariably leads to that I take issue with.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Came across this one and thought I'd share it here.

Instagram

Mickey's Pink Ladies The first all-girls Disney social club. We have a weakness for pinup style, wearing pink, red lips & Disneyland of course! #mickeyspinkladies

• I'm not really here

And there's another one. Instagram

How many social clubs are there?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Just drawn that way

I go with the same people all the time...some time just two of us sometimes more close to ten friends and family.
    We all go together when we can. Are we a socal group if we show up wearing similar disney stuff? or wearing all black as I tend to do. Lol

Don't mind the groups as long as they follow the rules like everyone else has to.
    Little and broken, but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Like I said, if this was a thing where they just noticed something and reported it, that's awesome and I hope more people would do that. However, I also said if they come to the park specifically to look for things they feel are wrong and enforce their view of the rules by reporting, then that becomes vigilantism.
    [/I]

I could care less if they don't wear anything matching at all. It isn't the clothing, but the behavioral patterns that this sort of thing almost invariably leads to that I take issue with.
    Since this thread was resurrected I read this for the first time. I'm curious where your "legal definition" came from. What exact California or Federal statute(s)?
    If simply reporting a crime or violation is vigilantism then I guess all responsible people are vigilantes by that definition. From all the definitions I have read though, it relates to the actual enforcement of the law or rules, not just reporting.

But to the main point, you once again mention "the behavioral patterns that this sort of thing almost invariably leads to..." and I have to say again, why not wait until you actually see these bad behaviors instead of prejudging?

• What's that word again?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    You know what's most interesting about this fad?

When only deluxe or premium passes are valid, the "social clubs" are almost non-existent. Based on attendance patterns, eliminating the two lower pass levels and payment plans would drastically reduce social clubs.

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again: no one who loves Disney that much would make other guests feel unsafe due to their attire. I go Disney with a group of friends multiple nights a week... I don't need to look like a gang member to prove it.

Maybe I should start wearing a shirt that says "DLR Gang Enforcement" and hand out injunctions...
    Unsafe from a sleeveless denim jacket? Does it have a gun attached to it and is it pointing to your temple? LOL

That's great that YOU don't need to dress a certain way to enjoy the parks but maybe they want to -- is anyone getting hurt? Nope. So let them have their fun.

I'm not fond of the Disney social clubs but I'm also not fond of couples that wear "I'm HERS/HIS" with the Mickey glove pointing to the right t-shirts -- it's all really lame to me, but I'm in no way in favor of banning them from the parks.

Bar Rescue TV program episode "On the Rocks" covered a local Southern California Bar. One of the problems was a "Social Club" that called themselves "O Dark Thirty". They considered themselves loyal customers who spent money just like others, were not really a MC club, just a drinking social club that liked to wear matching MC Vests in a bar. What could be wrong with like minded customers gathering at their favorite bar dressed like a MC gang?

Just their appearance, MC gang attire, vests, and tatoos, drove away many customers. To keep the bar from going broke, Jon Taffer had the employee member of the "Club" fired and banned anyone wearing MC Vests. Was he right?

Their appearance drove away customers from a Bar, but should be welcome in a Family Park!!!
    I don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by jawknee View Post
    Unsafe from a sleeveless denim jacket? Does it have a gun attached to it and is it pointing to your temple? LOL

That's great that YOU don't need to dress a certain way to enjoy the parks but maybe they want to -- is anyone getting hurt? Nope. So let them have their fun.

I'm not fond of the Disney social clubs but I'm also not fond of couples that wear "I'm HERS/HIS" with the Mickey glove pointing to the right t-shirts -- it's all really lame to me, but I'm in no way in favor of banning them from the parks.
    LOL ... or the ones who wear "SOUL" and "MATE".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast