• Chief Troublemaker

2 Crazy Girls Part Deux now with PICTURES

Well, the 2 Crazy Girls are back home after another wonderful trip to DLR. After a couple of days of recuperation, here’s my report.

Our stay at the DLH was wonderful. We had a standard room (ie parking lot view) in Fantasy Tower. We had a partial view of the tops of Splash, BTM, the castle and the Matterhorn from our window & would have been able to see the fireworks from the room. We loved the light-up headboard and kept turning it on over and over. The closeness to Trader Sam’s was great! We didn’t have to worry about getting ‘lost’ on our way back to the room after a few ‘adult libations’. BUT, the walking distance to and from the gates is a ‘deal breaker’ for us & we’ll be back at the Grand next time. It’s worth the extra money to me to have ½ the distance to walk, especially at the end of the day.

Sunday (Dapper Day) was crowded, but we didn’t think it was as crowded as last February. We did make the meet-up and met Dusty Sage and a few other MCers. It was nice to put faces to names! Hopefully next time we’re there, we’ll be in time to meet up again. Remember, the password is ‘Swordfish!’ LOL. Actually, it’s a somewhat hesitant ‘MiceChat??’ which is followed by a very friendly ‘Over here!”.

While we’re on the subject of crowds, we felt that DL was considerably more crowded than this time last year, but DCA was about the same. We don’t know if it was due to the number of ride closures or just that the ‘offseason’ is indeed fading away into ‘Yesterland’. That being said, the lines weren’t too bad, except for the rides you’d expect. We did see a lot of ‘line joining’ or ‘place holding’ or whatever you’d call it, but not much ‘line jumping’ (sneaking into the lines as opposed to joining people already there). Only once was it obvious that it was a little one with a bathroom emergency, the rest of the time it was one or two people who were joined by 3+ others (jumping rails, chains, & trash cans in the process rather than ‘excusing me’ up the lines). We just rolled our eyeballs and let it go, as it was obvious that the CMs permitted it. We also felt that we saw fewer ECVs and wheelchairs in the parks. Don’t know if it was due to the forecasts for stormy weather (which held off until the day we left) or the new DAS program, which I feel discourages bogus rentals. I also think the new program seems to have reduced the lines you used to see at exits under the old GAC program. That must be a good thing for those people who use the new program. On the other hand, I couldn’t believe the number of strollers! On the most part, everyone was courteous and careful. There were only a couple of people who met your eyes with a ’Get out of my way or I WILL roll right over you’ glare. Again, we just shrugged and let it go.

BFF got to do a lot of ‘firsts’ and we did a lot of things I hadn’t done in years. My ‘first’ was getting to ride ‘Jingles’. As someone who has been ‘horse-mad’ since my late father first lifted me into a saddle as a toddler, that was pretty special to me.

For those of us that must eat gluten free, DLR still does a great job of accommodating our needs. It’s not as good as the old GF lists, but it’s doable. If you are a ‘mixed party’ it’s better to use table service otherwise your non-GF friends will be done eating before you get your food. Only once did I wait in line only to be told that I could not be accommodated (Harbour Galley). Lesson learned; let the GF person order first. BFF had already gotten her lobster roll only to find out that there was (allegedly) nothing I could eat. I say ‘allegedly’ because previously there was a baked potato that was GF, but I didn’t feel like arguing. My favorites were Flo’s (American breakfast and the pork roast) and the cheeseburger & fries at Carnation Café. Does anyone have a recipe for that Coca-Cola BBQ sauce? I could pour that on just about anything, except ice cream! And while on the subject of wonderful things, the Dole Whip line does seem to move MUCH faster! Especially the line inside the Tiki Room waiting area.

Let’s see, that’s hotel, food, & crowds covered. Anything I missed? Our trip was really magical and it’s always wonderful to BE a kid again! I’m suffering the usual post-trip blues, it’s even a little painful to read posts here on MC. I sure wish I was still a local or could afford to visit more frequently. But life is what it is and I still feel lucky to be able to go at all. I’m already thinking about my next trip. 2 Crazy Girls Part Trois? BFF has never seen Hallowe’en Time so we’re thinking of next year early in the season. AND my local yogurt place has real Dole Whips. OK, I feel a little better. Now if someone can just get me that BBQ sauce recipe……
    Last edited by Stormy; 03-04-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Selfie Expert

Re: 2 Crazy Girls Part Deux

Pictures?!!

Sounds like a great trip sponsored by great attitudes. As a fellow horse fanatic, I understand the thrill of getting a ride on Jingles!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Chief Troublemaker

Kelly, I still have not got the 'hang' of getting pictures from iPhoto into my posts. I managed it last year for the dinner at Club 33, but have no idea exactly how I did it! Once I get it figured out, I'll add pictures!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Does anyone have a recipe for that Coca-Cola BBQ sauce? I could pour that on just about anything, except ice cream!
    If you ask City Hall or the Chamber of Commerce, the will be happy to give it to you.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    If you ask City Hall or the Chamber of Commerce, the will be happy to give it to you.
    Wish I'd known that before I left! I may try to email Disney and ask if they'll send it to me.

• formerly very helpful

I'm looking forward to photos, too. Did you see me there? I was wearing a bow tie.

If you're worried about the walk to Disneyland Park from the Hotel, I usually take the monorail from DLH into the park. For DCA, either I walk through the Grand Californian or take the long "scenic" way of taking the Monorail to Disneyland, Railroad to Main Street, and then walking across the esplanade to DCA.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'm looking forward to photos, too. Did you see me there? I was wearing a bow tie.
    I'm SURE I did! I just don't know which guy in a bow tie you were! LOL. I'm still trying to figure out the picture deal. It wants me to 'manually resize' the pics & I have no idea how to do that. I'll have to get DH involved.

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    If you're worried about the walk to Disneyland Park from the Hotel, I usually take the monorail from DLH into the park. For DCA, either I walk through the Grand Californian or take the long "scenic" way of taking the Monorail to Disneyland, Railroad to Main Street, and then walking across the esplanade to DCA.
    It's mainly EMH & the end of the day where the walking comes in. We tried the MR twice for EMH. Once it worked great, the other time the MR went 101 and they closed the whole station & sent us to the gate. We wasted 1/2 hr of EMH that day. The entry at the Grand for EMH is too long and very slow.

Never thought of the MR/DLRR combo. We did OK during the day, using the MR back & forth for a break & using the Grand entrance for DCA breaks, but we do that when we stay at the Grand anyway. It was just that long walk for EMH to the Esplanade and the long walk back from DL to the DLH at the end of the day. On DCA days we tried to end our days closer to the Grand so we could use that exit. But that just reminded us that if we'd stayed at the Grand we'd have been 'home' already! LOL.

• Chief Troublemaker

OK, guys, here I go. Keep your fingers crossed!

Name:  room view.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  44.9 KB
    View from our room (close up)

Name:  headboard.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  45.3 KB
    Oooh! Pretty!

Name:  Happy to be home.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  63.9 KB
    First day, first ride. Are we happy? Yes, we are!

Name:  Jingles.jpg
Size:  76.8 KB
    My first ride on Jingles! Tally ho! Yoicks and away!

Name:  Shelly Dumbo.jpg
Size:  56.8 KB
    Shelly's first time on Dumbo, the first of many firsts for her this trip

Name:  empty subs.jpg
Size:  63.1 KB
    Sad sub lagoon

Name:  Snow White.jpg
Size:  81.0 KB
    One of my favorite 'quiet spots'. Every wish I've made at the well has come true.

OK, guys, gonna try to post this. More pictures later if it works!

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: 2 Crazy Girls Part Deux now with PICTURES

It worked! Here's more! How 'bout some food pics?

Name:  cheeseburger.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  52.5 KB
    Gluten free WITH fries. Any GF person understands why I was so excited about fries! Love Carnation Cafe.

Name:  pickles.jpg
Size:  56.5 KB
    Pickles definitely NOT GF, but Shelly said they were delicious

Name:  Flos dinner.jpg
Size:  55.5 KB
    Flo's Diner GF pork roast with Co-Cola BBQ sauce. AND a GF roll (yeah, not so great, but at least they have them!)

Name:  MaiTai.jpg
Size:  43.4 KB
    HippopotoMaiTai from Trader Sam's (does this count as food? It had fruit in it.)

Name:  Trader Sams.jpg
Size:  45.6 KB
    Trader Sam's, our favorite 'ride' (after a long day at the Parks, that is!)

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: 2 Crazy Girls Part Deux now with PICTURES

Now for some randomness

Name:  potc.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  47.8 KB
    Tried some 'on ride' dark-ride pics. This is about the only one that wasn't wonky.

Name:  GRR kitty.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  87.4 KB
    'Wildlife' on GRR

Name:  2 crazy.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  57.4 KB
    Gee, can you find the 2 Crazy Girls in this picture?

Name:  Radiator Sprg.jpg
Size:  65.5 KB
    Lovely day in Radiator Springs

Name:  RSR.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB
    Think I can get DH to install a water feature like this in our back pasture? No?

Name:  WoC.jpg
Size:  46.7 KB
    WoC rainbows

Name:  necklace.jpg
Size:  57.7 KB
    My special 'souvenir'. Instead of the water feature.

Name:  wherearewe.jpg
Size:  23.8 KB
    We played a lot of 'where are we?' with our families back home. This is the only one that stumped them. Sooo, where are we?

Name:  farewell toast.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  38.5 KB
    Our 'farewell toast' at breakfast at Steakhouse55 before hitting the road for home. Another wonderful trip. Another promise to come back next year!