Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Re: Elsa on the Matterhorn?

Regarding the topic of the thread - I hope that this remains a rumor (and I'm pretty convinced it is just a rumor with no actual footing).

I love Frozen (I actually had no interest in seeing it, but a fellow chatter convinced me to give it a shot), but it should not be shoehorned into another ride. ESPECIALLY a classic like Matterhorn!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Just because we're Disney fans, it automatically means we need to see their hit films? I know others who are turned of from seeing Frozen as well, and they're Disney fans. Nothing wrong with that.
    ITA. Being a Disney or a DisneyLAND fan doesn't mean you have to see every single thing they do.

I'm a fan of the park, some of the films and the classic characters. I don't particularly care about Disney's new movies or TV shows. I think that the only Disney films I've seen since the year 1998 or so have been Brave and the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

• Minion

Don't get me started on the Disney Channel and their new content. I'm disgusted with their new shows. I haven't been completely interested in the Disney Channel since 2003, and even then, I noticed it was slowly going downhill. BRING BACK VAULT DISNEY!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yeah, but the English bear isn't actually inside a ride that puts him in the American South. His ride has his story's correct setting. So it's not the same. In this case they're talking about putting a Scandinavian character into a ride that is set in the Swiss Alps. It's akin to putting Peter Pan as a character in the Tiki Room. Or putting Alice in Wonderland into Space Mountain.
    But the English bear is in an American woods, not just on his ride. The charcter is out signing autographs in the middle of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    *sigh* I think I already said three times that I was talking about what was IN the ride, not what was AROUND the rides. Everything INSIDE the Monsters Inc. attraction is Monsters; they don't have Mater or Mary Poppins hanging out in there. That's the point. The entire RIDE ITSELF is themed appropriately. The placement of the rides in the various lands isn't the same issue as the placement of unrelated elements WITHIN the rides.
    I kind of get what you are saying, but I think both things have equal weight. Disney can come up with the most immersively well themed attraction with characters perfectly fitting into said attraction, but if that ride is out of place in its land, Disney has still failed creatively. it is just as bad as having a ride that falls perfectly into its surroundings but includes characters that don't.

For example, let's say you took a shop on Main Street and left the exterior just as it is but gutted the interior and remodeled it to look like one of the floors of the Baxter Building and put in a Fantastic 4 dark ride. The characters would fit very nicely into their ride, but the ride would still be out of place. Conversely you could take a ride like the Jungle Cruise which fits perfectly into Adventureland and replace the native dance with Ewoks. Both are equally bad show.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    But the English bear is in an American woods, not just on his ride. The charcter is out signing autographs in the middle of the land.
    And that's outside the bear's ride, so the point still stands. We're not talking about where Pooh is located; we're talking about what is inside the Pooh ride. And you won't find anything there that isn't about the Hundred Acre Wood (not counting those Country Bear heads, but those are obviously an Easter Egg, and you have to know where they are and exert effort to find them. They're not placed as elements of the standard Pooh ride).

I kind of get what you are saying, but I think both things have equal weight.
    They might, but the placement of attractions isn't the issue at hand. Also, some of it is subjective. Some might argue that in Pooh's case, he's a 'critter' and the land is really about fuzzy cute animals, and even though the author was English the Hundred Acre Wood is a fantasy place that could be anywhere - so he belongs where he is. Someone else might argue the opposite and they'd also have valid points. There was the whole Jolly Holiday/Hub debate where good arguments were made on both sides. And so forth. I would argue that while attraction placement might be debatable, and might be considered bad show, putting a completely unrelated character into a ride is much harder to justify by any logic and is even worse show.

• Nutty about Disney parks

While I thought the film was a bit overrated I do see the potential for a Frozen ride.

However any mere mention of shoehorning a hit movie into a preexisting ride (especially when it doesn't seem to fit or work in the context of said ride) just screams lazy, cheap, and unimaginative.

I don't like how they tried to fit Three Cabelleros into the Mexican boat ride in Epcot. It just didn't work for me. Nemo in the Subs is sorta on par with that. I do think the Epcot ride does it better because it was done a little more from scratch and was not designed to be shoehorned in a preexisting ride.

If Frozen has become that big a hit to warrant a ride then go all out. Do something creatively worthy of its success. It would be a slap in the face to Disney fans to just shoehorn the characters into rides like Matterhorn and Maelstrom that are doing fine as they are.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Just because we're Disney fans, it automatically means we need to see their hit films? I know others who are turned of from seeing Frozen as well, and they're Disney fans. Nothing wrong with that.
    If you're a *Walt* Disney fan then see it for "Get a Horse," the new short accompanying it, which is the first appearance of Walt Disney as Mickey Mouse since the Mickey Mouse Club intros in the 50s. That's what got me to the theater. It uses archive sound and some minor manipulation but it works very well and sounds just like the classic Mickey.

Slightly off topic, but the only thing they should add to Matterhorn is more comfortable bobsleds! Keep "Frozen" out of it!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I guess...but this is not just a "hit" film like say a Pirates movie...this is the first Animated Disney film in years to win the Oscar for best animated

If you like Disney I see no reason not to see this and Saving Mr Banks..both are excellent films made for Disney fans

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I guess...but this is not just a "hit" film like say a Pirates movie...this is the first Animated Disney film in years to win the Oscar for best animated

If you like Disney I see no reason not to see this and Saving Mr Banks..both are excellent films made for Disney fans
    We're still short rides for Wall-E, Incredibles, Up, and Brave. Once we've got rides for those, we can use Best Animated Feature for a yardstick to measure by. For the record, the last Disney movie to win Best Animated Feature was last year with Brave. The previous year it went to Rango, but the year before that was Toy Story 3, then Up, then Wall-E and before that Ratatouille. There's a reason a lot of jokes are made that the should just hand it to Disney by default most years.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• keh!

Before we get Elsa in the Matterhorn, we should get Shan Yu from Mulan. He was in the mountains, and there was snow. Let's make this happen.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If they do, I hope Harold eats her.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    We're still short rides for Wall-E, Incredibles, Up, and Brave. Once we've got rides for those, we can use Best Animated Feature for a yardstick to measure by. For the record, the last Disney movie to win Best Animated Feature was last year with Brave. The previous year it went to Rango, but the year before that was Toy Story 3, then Up, then Wall-E and before that Ratatouille. There's a reason a lot of jokes are made that the should just hand it to Disney by default most years.
    Every movie you listed is PIXAR, not the Walt Disney Animation Studio
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Every movie you listed is PIXAR, not the Walt Disney Animation Studio
    Everything starting from Cars is Disney Pixar. Movies made by a studio that is Disney property at the point the movies are made. Thus why I chose to list those movies.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Everything starting from Cars is Disney Pixar. Movies made by a studio that is Disney property at the point the movies are made. Thus why I chose to list those movies.
    but they are still separate studios, much like Marvel and Lucas Film are branches of the live action arm but Feige has no say in Star Wars and Kennedy has no say in what happens in the MCU
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast