Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• First star to the right..

Re: Disney Characters Getting OUT of Character?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    i was eating at the Plaza Inn once with a friend who was wearing a Dragonball Z shirt. Eeyore took one look at it and mimed the Kamehameha. we got a picture of him doing it, it's amazing.

Ummmm picture please, so I can photoshop Eeyore SSJ3 status! HA!

The most out-of-character experiences I've dealt with is with Donald and Captain Hook. Sometimes you get a Donald that's really Donald. He acts stubborn and believes he is the star of Disneyland. He tries to block you from the picture and shake his feathers. Then sometimes I encounter a Donald that just hugs you and smiles. Different actors I suppose.

One time I met Captain Hook. He was the model villian. He shook my hand with a super tight grip (ouch). He put his arm around my side and tried tickling me mid-picture to try to get me to mess up the picture.
    Then several weeks later I meet the Captain again and he just shakes my hand and takes a picture and waves goodbye.
    Some cast members can make your day.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I guess she could be considered "out of character" since she's super sweet with my niece.
    She's only really mean to her henchmen in the movie. Maybe she would dote on children. We don't really know.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by Practical Pig View Post
    Sometimes you get a Donald that's really Donald. Then sometimes I encounter a Donald that just hugs you and smiles.
    This is especially true of the bunnies and rabbits right now. The White Rabbit didn't seem frantic about the fact that he was taking pictures with people and not getting to where he needs to be (on time). Roger didn't seem kooky. I don't even know what Thumper is supposed to do. But overall, even though every single one of those characters have a completely different personality, none of them really did anything but smile and wave.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• formerly very helpful

One time about 17 years ago or so, I was posing for a photo with Mickey. After the picture, he started making all of these hand gestures about my bald head. This seemed very out of character. Fortunately I'm not too sensitive about it. I figure if God wanted me to have an imperfect head he would have given me hair. However, not to let the rodent get the last shot in, I responded by saying, "At least I didn't spread the plague all through Europe." Mickey walked off with his head down.

A few years back I took my then-four-year-old niece to the parks. This was before the Tinkerbell m&g was there and it was still all Ariel's area. So, I take my niece to meet Ariel and she becomes completely shy and quiet, so it was up to Ariel to do all the talking. She complimented my nieces dark hair and said "My daughter has lovely hair just your color. She looks so much like her daddy." And my first thought was "Hey, lady! Don't talk about your personal life just because the kid isn't talking to you!" It was then that I realized that Ariel was totally in character and talking about her daughter from "The Little Mermaid II". I felt like an idiot. But at least I was smart enough to keep my thoughts to myself (unlike some guests)!

Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    Ummmm picture please, so I can photoshop Eeyore SSJ3 status! HA!
    http://i.imgur.com/jTWQqna.jpg?1

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda949 View Post
    A few years back I took my then-four-year-old niece to the parks. This was before the Tinkerbell m&g was there and it was still all Ariel's area. So, I take my niece to meet Ariel and she becomes completely shy and quiet, so it was up to Ariel to do all the talking. She complimented my nieces dark hair and said "My daughter has lovely hair just your color. She looks so much like her daddy." And my first thought was "Hey, lady! Don't talk about your personal life just because the kid isn't talking to you!" It was then that I realized that Ariel was totally in character and talking about her daughter from "The Little Mermaid II". I felt like an idiot. But at least I was smart enough to keep my thoughts to myself (unlike some guests)!
    Wow, I'm glad that didn't happen to me because I would have never figured that one out. I didn't even know there was a Little Mermaid II. I don't think I would have said anything though, just given her a disapproving glance or something.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Wow, I'm glad that didn't happen to me because I would have never figured that one out. I didn't even know there was a Little Mermaid II. I don't think I would have said anything though, just given her a disapproving glance or something.
    Unfortunately, they also made a Mermaid III to go along with Mermaid II as well.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Dont make me unfriend you

When I was a CM long ago, I remember seeing the Beast walking around backstage with a Nordstrom bag. It just looked so funny see the huge Beast with his tiny bag on his arm.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Not the cheese.

When my school marching band performed as a "special guest" before the morning parade down Main Street, we were warned in our big long spiel of rules that we might see characters out of character while we were getting ready backstage. However, when Goofy and Minnie strolled by our warm-up area as they headed in and out of Toontown, they were totally pleasant and made sure to wave back to all the excited high schoolers. It was a nice touch considering they no longer had any obligation to "perform" and must have already been tired! So I guess that was an unusual instance of characters staying IN character?

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    When I was a CM long ago, I remember seeing the Beast walking around backstage with a Nordstrom bag. It just looked so funny see the huge Beast with his tiny bag on his arm.
    Did you ever have lunch with the princesses in the Fantasyland break area (the one that's like 4 stories underground)? You get to see all kinds of fun stuff like that...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Wannabe Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I've never personally have experienced this, but I have seen videos and gifs on Tumblr of characters knowing and talking about technology (cameras, phones, ect.) and other modern advances. I was quite puzzled as to why that would be allowed since I would think that would be OOC, but is it considered normal and happen often?
    Well within the story, the characters live at Disneyland, and really are the characters. The sign on the arch, clearly states that Disneyland does not exist in the realm of "today" but in "Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy". So being residents of this magical land where various times exist at once, they would have knowledge of modern technologies.

Outside the narrative, It is my understanding that the characters should not have knowledge about non-Disney fictional universes -- and I expect other corporate entities. So they may know generic things like phones and cameras, but would feign ignorance towards youtube, Bugs Bunny, Superman, or Harry Potter.

As to the whole "Character in more than one place" -- the thing is you do not actually see them in the same place at the same time yourself. Sure you may see Mickey in a Tux taking pictures just off Main Street and then head to Toon Town and see him there again. I understand that the pat answer about how Mickey can be in X when you just saw him at Y is, "Well you had enough time to get from Y to X, so did Mickey!"

• And Dad was my hero.

When I was about 12 Hook and Smee stole my mom's muffin from her breakfast during magic morning. That part wasn't "out of character" but we did catch them actually eating it a bit later which was kind of disturbing, making us wonder, don't they feed the CMs? Ha!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234