Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Greetings, Program!

Re: Costumes Outside the Park

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I think my point is pretty clear actually.

We're here to talk about Disneyland, and one of the most visible changes in recent years is costumes outside the berm. I don't care for it. Disneyland has always been a unique place, and as CMs, we were part of a show. You put your costume on when you got there, and then you went on stage. You weren't even supposed to loiter in an area that wasn't your area (much less out on the streets of Anaheim, Irvine or wherever) or you were considered out of costume. Disneyland is a show. WalMart, McDonalds, and Toys R Us aren't.

Anyway the policy existed for decades and never seemed to create much of a problem. In fact, I personally never heard a fellow CM mention they wished they could take the costumes home because it would be so much easier. You just didn't do it. Likewise, I've heard numerous fellow CMs say they don't dig the new policy either, just like they don't dig the facial hair, and other looser changes that have been allowed in appearance.

So if people don't agree with it, that's cool. But my point is pretty clear. My opinion.
    Well said, and as a former CM from the in-berm only/non-facial hair days, I'm in total agreement with it.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I think it probably is convenient for the CMs.
    Having to get there a tad early to put on your costume would definitely be something you always had to allow time for, but it wasn't all that bad.
    I would usually change out my costume after my shift so it was ready to go for next time.
    Philosophy- and experience-wise though I still liked it all kept behind the berm.
    I think the problem is now, that people complain about not getting paid for that extra time they have to spend at their workplace. Hence letting them have a choice lets them choose to spend time there unpaid or just do it at home.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Layabout

This change wasn't made to make life easier for the cast members. It was made because it saves the company a lot of money (having the cast wash their own costumes) and it saves a lot of space (not giving each cast member their own permanent locker).

•   
    • Minion

I often see CMs in costume on the bus with me on the way to and from the park. I never talk to them, because I figure they've dealt with guests all day (or they're about to do so) and they don't need one more bothering them, but I get a kick out of seeing the costumes. It's kind of fun to be waiting for the bus with a 1920s shopgirl, an Old West cowboy or a galactic attendant.

In terms of the logistics, I can't blame the CMs for wearing their costumes to and from work. Especially if they're taking the bus, carrying a huge garment bag could be really cumbersome and they might stand a chance of losing or damaging the costume, or having it stolen. If you've never been on the Metro 460, which is the bus from LA through Buena Park/Norwalk to the park, it's usually very crowded. There wouldn't be any way to safely or easily carry a costume on that bus with so many people crowded in.

And in terms of show - maybe I'd feel differently if it were a face character or a fur character, but if it's a normal CM, it doesn't spoil the magic for me at all. No, I don't think Walt would like it. In fact I think he'd probably have a conniption at the idea that his CMs are on the Metro bus with their costumes. Things change, though, and if it's necessary for the CMs I can't fault them.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think the problem is now, that people complain about not getting paid for that extra time they have to spend at their workplace. Hence letting them have a choice lets them choose to spend time there unpaid or just do it at home.
    Well...to be fair, in other situations, time spent in costuming IS compensated as part of the workday. If you do a professional theater show, for instance, you're on the clock for an hour or half-hour before the curtain rises, and that's your time to prepare, get into your costume and put on your makeup. The same is true if you do a SAG film, you're on the clock from your call time, not from the time you actually start filming a scene, so your wardrobe time is included. And if your costume or makeup is so elaborate that you're sitting there for a while, and you're on the set/at the theater for longer than the union designated working hours, you might end up with overtime.

Even films and live shows that aren't union do this, BTW. Your call time and pay period start when you show up on set/ at the theater, not when you go onstage.

So if Disney wants it to truly be a show, they should perhaps follow the business and pay practices of other shows.

And isn't that the case for the face characters? I doubt that Maleficent or the Mad Hatter are required to apply their makeup and costumes off the clock, right? Or they shouldn't...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante101 View Post
    This change wasn't made to make life easier for the cast members. It was made because it saves the company a lot of money (having the cast wash their own costumes) and it saves a lot of space (not giving each cast member their own permanent locker).
    Cast Members don't wash their own costumes. You can have 3 sets of your costume, and when theyre dirty you just trade them in for a new set at costuming.

I used to have to leave my house at least an hour before my shift started (I lived on Harbor and Lincoln - aka about a 3 minute drive), to just barely make it on time. I was not about to spend an extra 30-hour so I could change at work.

There are Cast Members that wash their own costumes, and there are some that don't and just change them out at costuming every day. I personally wash my own costumes just so I don't have to worry about dealing with costuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    Cast Members don't wash their own costumes. You can have 3 sets of your costume, and when theyre dirty you just trade them in for a new set at costuming. I used to have to leave my house at least an hour before my shift started (I lived on Harbor and Lincoln - aka about a 3 minute drive), to just barely make it on time. I was not about to spend an extra 30-hour so I could change at work.
    this is the biggest point right here. I live about 4 minute drive as well and have to leave 45mins-1hr ahead of my start time to make it on time.Anytime i need a new costume, ill leave an hour and a half to get on time. All that extra time we spend is unpaid.

• Minion

We usually got "walk time" at the end of our shift which allowed us to get to our locker, change, and even exchange costumes, and still get out to Harbor House pretty close to our clock out time.
    True that we did have to get there a little early to get into costume, but that wasn't too big of a deal. I could usually clock in 15 minutes before my shift and be at my site on time. And that included shifts on the Matterhorn and getting into lederhosen.
    I will say though that we didn't have to take this shuttle that present CMs have to take now. I can see how that would make a big difference in time allowance. The lack of lockers makes sense too.
    So clearly things have changed. Still don't dig it, and certainly understand why CMs have to do it nowadays. It's just too bad that the company can't arrange something so as to keep things behind the berm.
    It really wasn't a big deal the way it used to be, but times do change.

• N/A

As soon as all the Guests start dressing up to go into the park the Cast will stop wearing costumes home. :-P

• -

Quote Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
    As soon as all the Guests start dressing up to go into the park the Cast will stop wearing costumes home. :-P
    I guess that means that guests should be paid to be there, too.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I have to say I don't care for it, either. Show used to be of paramount importance. Castmembers had to be neat and tidy, couldn't eat or drink on stage, had to speak and behave a certain way...all to create a magical experience within the walls of Disneyland. To let that leak out, to see castmembers "out of character", it just ruins the act. It becomes impossible to suspend disbelief. The Show is ruined.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I have to say I don't care for it, either. Show used to be of paramount importance. Castmembers had to be neat and tidy, couldn't eat or drink on stage, had to speak and behave a certain way...all to create a magical experience within the walls of Disneyland. To let that leak out, to see castmembers "out of character", it just ruins the act. It becomes impossible to suspend disbelief. The Show is ruined.
    Out of curiosity, what fantasy do you believe is being dispelled by a guest seeing a DL CM costume out of context?

I would agree that face characters and costumed franchise characters should only be seen inside the berm, but Disney seems to have a firm grip on that scenario.

I didn't know that the "no facial hair" policy was changed. I don't care about beards, goatees, mustaches, long sideburns, etc. As long as the facial hair is groomed and clean, what's the big deal. Walt had a mustache and he was handsome!

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Out of curiosity, what fantasy do you believe is being dispelled by a guest seeing a DL CM costume out of context?
    There is a reason it is called a "costume" and not just "clothes." Why it's call "On Stage" and not just "work." Castmembers, once they step On Stage, become part of the illusion. They become the ordinary citizens of their extraordinary lands. They become part of what makes Disneyland magical; what was painstakingly Imagineered to be magical.

We know that the magician is just doing tricks, not real magic. But we can choose not to Google "how to saw a woman in half." We can choose to leave the show awed by the illusion. When we see a Castmember in his costume at, say, the grocery store, we are forced to face the truth that it's all an act, all a facade, all fakery.

And for me, countless others, and still-believing children, that's just plain lousy.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast