Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Costumes Outside the Park

I can actually tell you exactly how much time it used to take.

Pre-mega costuming warehouse

Pre-DCA
    We had costuming more or less behind Mr. Lincoln. It had 20 windows -- 10 for guys and 10 for girls. Each one usually had a line of 2 or 3 people, and it usually took 10 minutes or less from when you got in line to when you walk away with your costume for the day. Then I had to walk to your lockers, which were mostly behind Space Mountain. I had a permanant locker. Then, after changing, I would have to walk from my locker to my office, which was behind Splash Mountain. So I always budgeted 30 minutes to make sure I had time to get my costume and change. Sometimes I'd get to the office 10 min early and sometimes I'd be running to make it on time.

Post-DCA
    They built a new costuming warehouse to handle all of the extra costumes for DCA in addition to Disneyland in 1999. It is the big brown building you see to the east of the Dog Kennels. This building also has lockers, but now they are day lockers and so no one is assigned a permanant locker any more. They are a little further away, and even though there are now all of the DCA cast members that need to get costumes as well, they still have the same number of windows as the old building (although giant counters, as if they expect there to maybe be more than one CM per counter helping people, but I never encountered that). It's quite a bit further away then the old lockers, so between longer lines at costuming and having to walk a little further, I added an extra 10 minutes and would try to budget 40 minutes to get my costume and have time to change and make it to my office.

So pre-DCA, I would have to add half an hour before and half an hour after my shift, and post-DCA, I would have to add 40 minutes before and 40 minutes after my shift. When we would turn in the costumes at the end of the night, we couldn't just drop them off -- we had to wait in line to have a CM check them in so that we'd be allowed to get a new costume the next day.

So today, a CM saves 80 minutes a day, minus the time they have to spend the one or two times a week they do go to costuming in order to turn in all of their old costumes and receive all of their new clean costumes.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Mysteries and Magic

As a cast member I like the fact that we can take our costumes home. My costume smells much better coming out of my washer and its also very quick and easy to put it on at home. As far as changing at work we have a small changing area (In costuming) about the size of my house thats merely meant to accommodate those few that pick up a costume day of or if they are pulled to a different location. If everyone had to change at work the company would have to add a new building to fit everyone and of course brand new lockers as we only have a few "day use only" lockers that depending on your work location can barely fit in a small backpack. (2014 Disneyland Resort backpack) I'm pretty sure more Guests (including myself) would appreciate new/updated attractions rather than a cast facility they don't see or use. I have stopped by oddly enough at that same Target someone mentioned to pick up cough medicine on the way to work. Occasionally you will see cast members go for a bite at the local restaurants on Harbor after work (usually hard closing midnight and at Denny's). Its not like I (or others) buy entire groceries in costume, just stopping by to grab something quick (and Disney appropriate). As far as cast members doing something along the lines of "making out" or "getting busted by the police for shoplifting" in costume is really far fetched. Yes some of our cast members go out to bars and other things (like real human beings) but they would never be so stupid as to jeopardize their job by doing it in costume. As a die hard fan and previously long time AP, I've never been bothered by it especially when a TOT cast member came to vote in my precinct in his costume. It just gets me excited for my next visit. I do see the point on the old statement of "preserving the magic" on stage which I agree on, but weighing pros and cons I would rather put funds on updating Tomorrowland, Toon Town, and even DCA, than build a new cast facility that doesn't significantly benefit the guest experience.
    "To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

- Walt Disney
    Dedication of Disneyland, July 17, 1955

I'm not sure how this would work in terms of security/traffic control but you could potentially add a backstage gate on Harbor and Disney Way. The Toy Story shuttles would make a right while the DCA cast shuttles go straight through the gate and drop them off at a new costuming building behind Luigis/Tower of Terror. The major downside to this is that it means Cars Land and Tower of Terror will never be able to receive the expansions they'll eventually need. The reality is Disney won't budget extra labor hours for change time in spite of the fact that frontline CMs in Attractions, Custodial, ODV, Foods, and Merchandise are incredibly cheap relative to the bureaucracy of TDA, WDI, and Entertainment.("Something something...shareholders,something something....NextGen and Shanghai, something....something...Obamacare.")

• Minion

When I was a cast member I loved that I could take my costume home, especially since I didn't live close by and it saved a lot of time. There are a lot of "ifs" in this thread. What "if" you saw two cast members in costume making out...etc. No matter what company, or what job you have there will always be people who abuse the system. Those people tend to weed themselves out anyway.

As for facial hair, it doesn't bother me either. Facial hair can look clean, it just wasn't the norm in 1955.
    Jeff Wayne

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    If it's service work, then it shouldn't bother you to see the CMs in costume outside the berm, any more than it would bother you to see a Target, Ralphs or Starbucks employee outside work in their uniforms. They're just service employees and not part of the magic, right?
    Itís true, they are just service workers. However, this is not a case of worker classification. It is one about the image that the company was trying to represent in its parks. For years the company was about not letting what was outside come inside, and what was inside spill over on to outside. Seeing someone on the City buss in their Autopia uniform would be an example of this. Itís not about these people being performers in a show. Itís about the park itself being the show and not having its reputation tarnished by someone in their Autopia work uniform doing something inappropriate on the city bus.

This IS an extra burden, because of the time logistics spent above. Do you honestly think it's fair to expect employees to spend an extra hour/90 minutes at both ends of their shift to retrieve their costumes and return them? You're talking about adding between 90 minutes and three hours to their workday, unpaid.
    I doubt its really taking them 90 minutes to pick up a uniform and put it on and then another 90 minutes at the end of their shift to do the same thing in reverse.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Itís true, they are just service workers. However, this is not a case of worker classification. It is one about tit he image that the company was trying to represent in its parks. For years the company was about not letting what was outside come inside, and what was inside spill over on to outside. Seeing someone on the City buss in their Autopia uniform would be an example of this. Itís not about these people being performers in a show. Itís about the park itself being the show and not having its reputation tarnished by someone in their Autopia work uniform doing something inappropriate on the city bus.

I doubt its really taking them 90 minutes to pick up a uniform and put it on and then another 90 minutes at the end of their shift to do the same thing in reverse.
    Big D above noted that it took an extra 80 minutes to get their costumes and turn them in. Now add on the newer cast shuttle which is between 30 and 45 each way. Adding 45 each way + the 40 minutes to collect the costumes turns into 85 minutes on both sides of the shift. It is not fair to ask anyone to spend 160 minutes unpaid every day.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• -

Big D above noted that it took an extra 80 minutes to get their costumes and turn them in. Now add on the newer cast shuttle which is between 30 and 45 each way. Adding 45 each way + the 40 minutes to collect the costumes turns into 85 minutes on both sides of the shift. It is not fair to ask anyone to spend 160 minutes unpaid every day.
    Thank you for admitting that you were incorrect. I respect that.

I read his post as well, but it was after I responded. I saw that it was slightly longer than I thought so I was wrong as well. However it was only 80 minutes total that was added to a workers day, not 90 minutes at each end of the shift.

Also, I don't believe that one can fairly add in the time it takes to shuttle over as that is just part of their commute which should be unpaid.
    Last edited by calsig31; 03-17-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Thank you for admitting that you were incorrect. I respect that.

I read his post as well, but it was after I responded. I saw that it was slightly longer than I thought so I was wrong as well. However it was only 80 minutes total that was added to a workers day, not 90 minutes at each end of the shift.

Also, I don't believe that one can fairly add in the time it takes to shuttle over as that is just part of their commute which should be unpaid.

I didn't admit I was incorrect, sorry to disappoint you. Because I wasn't. It's an extraordinate amount of extra time. The shuttle time certainly should be added, since it is when they are on Disney property. In addition, the shuttle trip is only that long because of the considerable distance Disney requires them to park from the resort.

Don't forget that since they don't really have lockers anymore, as they did in the past, the CM might be looking at an extra round trip back to their car to get or leave their street clothes. In that case you are looking at 45 in costuming and between an hour and 90 on the shuttle on each end. There are, in a worst case scenario like that, between 90 and 120 minutes on each side, right there.

And the point remains that you are expecting a worker to add considerable extra unpaid time to their workday simply so you don't have to see them outside the berm in costume for what, a few minutes? They just don't owe you that. Especially since most of these folks already commute long distances, have school, other jobs, etc. By your own admission you consider it a low paid lowly service job. Therefore you shouldn't be any more worried about seeing them on the street than you would be about a Target or Home Depot employee in uniform. It isn't a salaried position and those people shouldn't be expected to add additional unpaid hours to their work day just to make you happy outside the park.
    Last edited by Malina; 03-17-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

I think it was better when you didn't see the cast members outside the berm in costume. There is something to be said for maintaining the "show." Given the amount of time it takes (80 minutes) extra to have this happen, it does seem completely impractical.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I think it was better when you didn't see the cast members outside the berm in costume. There is something to be said for maintaining the "show." Given the amount of time it takes (80 minutes) extra to have this happen, it does seem completely impractical.
    Exactly. It certainly sounds like with all the new logistics, including the shuttle, limited dressing space, etc. having CMs take home their costumes does seem most practical if not necessary.

It's just a shame that the hand has been forced in such a way that they have to do it. I felt it had a much more effective impact when it was all behind the berm. And as a CM, I liked it that way too. It wasn't a hassle to get there a few minutes early to get into your costume. And if you exchanged it the day before, it was all ready to go. No hassle at all actually.

Times have definitely changed though, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience it in the old style and system. When the guests saw you for the first time, you were on stage, and you really felt like you were playing a role. If everyone is seeing you before you go on stage, it takes something away from it. I'm not sure I'd feel as much like a "cast" member, but more of an employee at that point.

• Semi-Lurker

Disneyland is supposed to be a magical place, a place where you will see things that you will only see THERE, not in an Apple store at South Coast Plaza 10 miles away.

When I was a CM I loved showing up looking like a CA beach bum and within minutes be transformed into something completely different, it really helped me get into the mindset of my "On Stage" roll. Costuming was not really that much of a hassle BUT we didn't have to deal with "K" lot and the overcrowded shuttle bus.

Times change, is one way better than the other, who knows? For me personally CM's in costume outside the park just further dilutes an in park experience that just keeps getting more and more expensive and less special everyday

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ExCandyMaker View Post
    Disneyland is supposed to be a magical place, a place where you will see things that you will only see THERE, not in an Apple store at South Coast Plaza 10 miles away.

When I was a CM I loved showing up looking like a CA beach bum and within minutes be transformed into something completely different, it really helped me get into the mindset of my "On Stage" roll. Costuming was not really that much of a hassle BUT we didn't have to deal with "K" lot and the overcrowded shuttle bus.

Times change, is one way better than the other, who knows? For me personally CM's in costume outside the park just further dilutes an in park experience that just keeps getting more and more expensive and less special everyday
    Had a moment of deja vu there. It really did feel like a transformation, didn't it?
    I was driving by the park today and saw a Jungle Cruise costume out on Harbor Blvd.
    It used to be you didn't see that until you got to the "jungles" of the attraction. Was neat that way and added to the impact.
    I chose nights for summer shifts usually. Would hit the beach during the day, head home, shower, and drive up to the park.
    Costume changed backstage and you felt like almost a different person when you walked onstage.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Had a moment of deja vu there. It really did feel like a transformation, didn't it?
    I was driving by the park today and saw a Jungle Cruise costume out on Harbor Blvd.
    It used to be you didn't see that until you got to the "jungles" of the attraction. Was neat that way and added to the impact.
    I chose nights for summer shifts usually. Would hit the beach during the day, head home, shower, and drive up to the park.
    Costume changed backstage and you felt like almost a different person when you walked onstage.
    That's a really good point because it's absolutely true. It did make you feel like a performer and that is part of why it was so easy to get "into character" and try to make every guest interaction as magical as possible. But it wasn't just the costume, there is also a stark contrast to the way that backstage looks (which is pretty crappy) and being in the park, so hopefully some of that feeling of being onstage is still there for current CM's.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• -

. The shuttle time certainly should be added, since it is when they are on Disney property. In addition, the shuttle trip is only that long because of the considerable distance Disney requires them to park from the resort.
    Sorry, but that is still part of the commute. Granted, they are commuting on their employer’s property, but they are still commuting to work, no matter how far away one has to park. When I was still an undergrad, I had a job on campus and I would have to huff it all the way across campus – on foot, not in a shuttle - to get to my place of employment. That isn’t something that I would expect to be paid for. I was still commuting to work even though it was on my employer's property.

Similarly, as I mentioned in another thread, I am a small business attorney and thus have to travel to my client’s places of business most of the time. I don’t think they would appreciate it if I started charging them from the minute I got on to the freeway or from the time I stepped foot in their parking lot.

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    What I was taught in dance and theater is that you never go into the lobby in costume before or after a performance. It ruins the magic. I think it is okay for someone working the popcorn cart or Indy ride to walk in and out of the park in costume, but not Cinderella.
    This.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast