Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Costumes Outside the Park

I don't like it either and I don't think Walt would have anything of it, although I could be wrong. It's the little things... It sure would be a lot easier if Ciny could do her hair and makeup at home huh?

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by ExCandyMaker View Post
    Disneyland is supposed to be a magical place, a place where you will see things that you will only see THERE, not in an Apple store at South Coast Plaza 10 miles away.

When I was a CM I loved showing up looking like a CA beach bum and within minutes be transformed into something completely different, it really helped me get into the mindset of my "On Stage" roll. Costuming was not really that much of a hassle BUT we didn't have to deal with "K" lot and the overcrowded shuttle bus.

Times change, is one way better than the other, who knows? For me personally CM's in costume outside the park just further dilutes an in park experience that just keeps getting more and more expensive and less special everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Had a moment of deja vu there. It really did feel like a transformation, didn't it?
    I was driving by the park today and saw a Jungle Cruise costume out on Harbor Blvd.
    It used to be you didn't see that until you got to the "jungles" of the attraction. Was neat that way and added to the impact.
    I chose nights for summer shifts usually. Would hit the beach during the day, head home, shower, and drive up to the park.
    Costume changed backstage and you felt like almost a different person when you walked onstage.
    I wonder if most of the present day CM's don't see themselves as being part of one giant play or movie. Back in your days did you not feel like you were performing on the biggest stage of them all? If the new breed of CM's just feel like they are "at work"
    Disney seriously needs to bring back Van France's teachings.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Ravenclaw

It doesn't take me 90 minutes to put on clothes at home, but it would take that much time to wait to pick it up and put it on at work.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

It totally impacts the experience. The magic is supposed to start after you walk under those plaques. Very disappointing.

• Minion

I'm with the group (?) that thinks that "service workers" at the parks should be allowed to show up already in uniform ... they're really uniforms they're wearing, not costumes, right?
    Someone who is "in character" or a performer (beyond being an always amiable DLCM) who wears something more like a costume, should have it in their paid hours to be able to get "in character". Maybe it should be up to DL to have the costumes needed at specific attractions waiting for the CMs wearing them at the appropriate locations instead of halfway across the parks (if I read that right)?

That said, if CMs are going to be outside the park in uniforms or costumes, they have to realize that how they behave will be under scrutiny, and they will be expected to behave in a certain way, even if they're on their own time. As I think I mentioned elsewhere, I worked for years at a zoo. I had uniforms representing my institution, which I put on at home (on my own time) and wore to work every day. No big deal - it was just getting dressed for work (not like an actual costume). The thing was, unless I washed up and changed my clothes before leaving work it was really limited where I would/could go before I went home. First off, well ... animals ... umm ... smell ... Second off, if I was out in public in uniform I had to maintain an image, behave as a representative of the zoo, on my own time. People would expect me to answer all their zoo questions, be positive and informative, and have as much time for them as they wanted ... as if I was still at work. It didn't matter if I was tired, had had a bad day, was in a hurry ... I was still in uniform, and had to maintain. I did learn to take off my name tag before I stopped at the grocery store (instead of having strangers wherever I went calling me by name), and if weather permitted, I'd often throw on a sweatshirt with no emblems on it before I ventured out off zoo grounds (of course then people probably just wondered why that woman smelled so bad ). Fortunately for me, at least I didn't have to use public transportation to commute.
    The point is, it's a trade off. There is some responsibility when you wear the uniform in public - a responsibility to the public, as well as a responsibility to the specific public institution you work for...

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    I'm with the group (?) that thinks that "service workers" at the parks should be allowed to show up already in uniform ... they're really uniforms they're wearing, not costumes, right?
    Someone who is "in character" or a performer (beyond being an always amiable DLCM) who wears something more like a costume, should have it in their paid hours to be able to get "in character". Maybe it should be up to DL to have the costumes needed at specific attractions waiting for the CMs wearing them at the appropriate locations instead of halfway across the parks (if I read that right)?

That said, if CMs are going to be outside the park in uniforms or costumes, they have to realize that how they behave will be under scrutiny, and they will be expected to behave in a certain way, even if they're on their own time. As I think I mentioned elsewhere, I worked for years at a zoo. I had uniforms representing my institution, which I put on at home (on my own time) and wore to work every day. No big deal - it was just getting dressed for work (not like an actual costume). The thing was, unless I washed up and changed my clothes before leaving work it was really limited where I would/could go before I went home. First off, well ... animals ... umm ... smell ... Second off, if I was out in public in uniform I had to maintain an image, behave as a representative of the zoo, on my own time. People would expect me to answer all their zoo questions, be positive and informative, and have as much time for them as they wanted ... as if I was still at work. It didn't matter if I was tired, had had a bad day, was in a hurry ... I was still in uniform, and had to maintain. I did learn to take off my name tag before I stopped at the grocery store (instead of having strangers wherever I went calling me by name), and if weather permitted, I'd often throw on a sweatshirt with no emblems on it before I ventured out off zoo grounds (of course then people probably just wondered why that woman smelled so bad ). Fortunately for me, at least I didn't have to use public transportation to commute.
    The point is, it's a trade off. There is some responsibility when you wear the uniform in public - a responsibility to the public, as well as a responsibility to the specific public institution you work for...
    I completely agree. If CMs are going to be outside of the parks in costume/uniform, they should behave accordingly.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    It doesn't take me 90 minutes to put on clothes at home, but it would take that much time to wait to pick it up and put it on at work.
    Actually it stated by another Disney worker in a previous post that it was not 90 minutes. It was actually half that time.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Resident Adventurer

Went to the park last night to ride Thunder on preview night, and as I was walking into the park I took note of the plaque that reads, "Here you leave the world of today..."

It sort of took me back to that time when the magic of the park was left inside the park, including costumes.

I'm sure they might have their reason for doing it, but I think it was so much more effective when everything was left behind the berm, including the costumes.

When you passed through the tunnels, you were experiencing something special on the other side. The real world was behind you.

I think seeing costumes at the grocery store, walking down Harbor Blvd. etc, takes something away from it

And don't get me started on the facial hair. Just can't get used to it.

We'll leave that for another thread though.
    I've heard from friends who have worked at the park that the reason for the CMs taking home costumes is because:

A. CMs would often show up for a shift and find no costume pieces in sizes that fit them (i.e. a very petite woman having to spend shift in pieces that were three sizes too big, etc.). Costuming now allows them to take multiple sets of costumes home with them to avoid this issue.

B. Disney had to pay the CMs for the extra time they used to change before and after shift. Allowing CMs to take their costumes home eliminated this extra cost for them, although I don't see how this was a big deal since it really doesn't take that long to change...

I think it's nice for management to allow them to take sets of costumes home, however I do think rules should be put in place to make sure that CMs must arrive and leave in regular clothing. I agree that it does spoil the magic for people to see a CM walking to the bus stop or around town in their costume... If/when I get a job there, I'm bringing a gym bag with extra clothes to avoid having to do that.

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IndyChick View Post
    I've heard from friends who have worked at the park that the reason for the CMs taking home costumes is because:

A. CMs would often show up for a shift and find no costume pieces in sizes that fit them (i.e. a very petite woman having to spend shift in pieces that were three sizes too big, etc.). Costuming now allows them to take multiple sets of costumes home with them to avoid this issue.

B. Disney had to pay the CMs for the extra time they used to change before and after shift. Allowing CMs to take their costumes home eliminated this extra cost for them, although I don't see how this was a big deal since it really doesn't take that long to change...

I think it's nice for management to allow them to take sets of costumes home, however I do think rules should be put in place to make sure that CMs must arrive and leave in regular clothing. I agree that it does spoil the magic for people to see a CM walking to the bus stop or around town in their costume... If/when I get a job there, I'm bringing a gym bag with extra clothes to avoid having to do that.
    I certainly can see the logistical issues involved considering the size of the cast nowadays. And I'm sure the way things are at the park now, money has a lot to do with it.

But then again, there's also been a philosophy shift that has occurred at the park when it comes to costuming. They've let logistics and monetary considerations take precedence (by choice, necessity or both) over show when it comes to costuming. Just how it is. I mean, it seems that had they wanted to maintain the show by keeping costumes behind the berm, they could have found a way to add more lockers or something.

Back in the day there was simply that philosophy behind NOT taking them home, keeping the magic behind the berm.

I guess it could be argued that it would have been cheaper for them to have us get dressed at home, as well, and save them money in "walk time." Some might have even thought it would have saved us time. I don't really see that though. You still have to take the time to get dressed be it at home or at the park….same difference.

What it comes down to is that just wasn't the philosophy. You got walk time at the end of your shift to get to your locker, change, and exchange your costume for the next shift if you so choose….because we weren't allowed to wear them home. It was meant to contribute to and maintain the show.

The philosophy has changed though so the procedures have followed suit. It's not unlike the looser standards on facial hair.

The interesting thing is I don't ever really remember anyone having to wear sizes that were that far off from their size. Sometimes they didn't have your size in one piece of costuming or another, so you had to adapt to the next size larger or smaller. But I just don't really remember it happening that much. Because appearance was important, and if you looked disheveled they'd send you backstage to get another costume.

I know some of the women who were expecting had to up size a bit. And back then the size range was pretty limited too. Costumes only went up to a certain size for many of the roles. You had to maintain a certain weight because they didn't have an abundance of larger costumes as I recall.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually it stated by another Disney worker in a previous post that it was not 90 minutes. It was actually half that time.
    And if you re-read the post, it's also a) BEFORE the changes in costuming location; b) when Disney had lockers for the staff (ie, the staff didn't have to bring their personal belongings back to their cars via another round trip on the shuttle; c) before Disney required their employees to park 30 - 45 minutes away by shuttle; d) before DCA doubled the number of employees in the park. The same Disney employee has acknowledged all of that in various posts.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Resident Adventurer

The interesting thing is I don't ever really remember anyone having to wear sizes that were that far off from their size. Sometimes they didn't have your size in one piece of costuming or another, so you had to adapt to the next size larger or smaller. But I just don't really remember it happening that much. Because appearance was important, and if you looked disheveled they'd send you backstage to get another costume.

I know some of the women who were expecting had to up size a bit. And back then the size range was pretty limited too. Costumes only went up to a certain size for many of the roles. You had to maintain a certain weight because they didn't have an abundance of larger costumes as I recall.
    Really? That was one of the biggest complaints my friend had about having to leave costumes with costuming at the end of shift... As I alluded to, she's very petite and prior to them allowing CMs to take multiple sets home, she would often have to wear sizes that were too big and just hitting that gray area of maybe looking a bit disheveled. She never said anything about being sent back to costuming to get smaller pieces, though.

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

• Minion

I will say, IndyChick, it's been a long time since I worked there ('83 to '94). Not sure when your friend worked there, but while I do remember some complaints about sizing issues, I don't really remember anyone looking like their costume didn't fit all that well. And I worked with a lot of petite women in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland Attractions.
    I know that sometimes I personally might get a turtleneck for under my costume, and it would be a little short in the arms, or a little tight….but I'd go back to wardrobe on my break to trade it out. It wasn't that bad.
    If your friend is petite, I would say she would have had a better chance getting costumed correctly back then because petite to average size in women was most common back then.
    I remember one of my female friends saying that when she'd gain a little weight she would feel herself creeping up to the larger sizes they had, so she'd work to keep her weight down.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    And if you re-read the post, it's also a) BEFORE the changes in costuming location; b) when Disney had lockers for the staff (ie, the staff didn't have to bring their personal belongings back to their cars via another round trip on the shuttle; c) before Disney required their employees to park 30 - 45 minutes away by shuttle; d) before DCA doubled the number of employees in the park. The same Disney employee has acknowledged all of that in various posts.

And based on his signature hasn't worked there in 15 years, and well a lot can change in that amount of time.

I am all for the employees being able to take their uniforms home, being a uniformed employee at all my jobs, I would hate to have to spend time before and after a shift to change, turn in and pick up uniforms, and then shuttle to the lot to finally start the drive home.

I have also worked for employers with similar set ups to Disney where employees have to shuttle into work, and its really not a fun experience and adds a lot to your work day, more then some people may realize. I worked at airports and depending on the size of the airport, one could shuttle in from a couple miles away, and depending on day could wait 30-40 minutes before/after shift for said shuttle. So I do have sympathy for the Disney the employees and their requirement to shuttle from the employee lot to get to their work location.

Now there's a universal maternity costume for all roles. It's a plain white shirt and blue pants. I think costuming likes them to keep the hat from the original costume if the hat was a required piece for the original. It seriously through me off when I first started working there and thought one of my co-CMs in a safety position had wandered off. The costume size issue is still a big problem, especially if for more senior CMs with more knowledge. I'm cross-trained at enough locations to where next week I could in theory have to check out 3-5 different costumes and return the 2 I have right now. When you cross-train to more places they don't up the number of costumes you can check out for some reason Finding the right size pants for me is tricky since I don't fall in the "wider waist" population that Costuming has shifted their inventory towards.

So everytime I have to check out a new set of pants is a gamble. They literally didn't have a pair of pants my size for an obscure costume one morning so I worked about an hour with pants too short. A lead saw me and said I should head back to Costuming. I told him they didn't have my size but he told me to check anyway. Luckily a pair of pants got washed/turned in but I could have been stuck waiting for a pair of pants for another hour. In fact, since some pants are shared by Foods, Merchandise, and Attractions I would have waited even longer had that shift been in the afternoon/evening, the times when Foods and Merchandise are eating the most costume pieces.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    He gives the time it takes both before and after the change in location of costuming. Prior to the move it was 30 minutes added to each end of the shift. Post move, it was 40 minutes, not the 90 minutes that people are speculating that it would add.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast