Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Costumes Outside the Park

Went to the park last night to ride Thunder on preview night, and as I was walking into the park I took note of the plaque that reads, "Here you leave the world of today..."

It sort of took me back to that time when the magic of the park was left inside the park, including costumes.

I'm sure they might have their reason for doing it, but I think it was so much more effective when everything was left behind the berm, including the costumes.

When you passed through the tunnels, you were experiencing something special on the other side. The real world was behind you.

I think seeing costumes at the grocery store, walking down Harbor Blvd. etc, takes something away from it

And don't get me started on the facial hair. Just can't get used to it.

We'll leave that for another thread though.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 03-10-2014 at 05:43 PM.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Costumes Outside the Park

I have mixed feelings about it.

It is disturbing.
    It is convenient for the CMs.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

ORDDU: This reminds me of something my sisters and I witnessed just yesterday while in Altamonte Springs, FL. We were flying our brooms down the street--Semoran Blvd to be exact--around 10 am in the morning--only to see a male cast member dressed up in his medieval garb while waiting for a bus to take him to Walt Disney World. There was a time you would never see cast members wearing their costumes out in public like that--while waiting for a bus. Yet here he was in this colorful, medieval costume from Fantasyland. Needless to say he stood out like a sore thumb and must have given other passengers something to talk about.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I have mixed feelings about it.

It is disturbing.
    It is convenient for the CMs.
    I think it probably is convenient for the CMs.
    Having to get there a tad early to put on your costume would definitely be something you always had to allow time for, but it wasn't all that bad.
    I would usually change out my costume after my shift so it was ready to go for next time.
    Philosophy- and experience-wise though I still liked it all kept behind the berm.

What I was taught in dance and theater is that you never go into the lobby in costume before or after a performance. It ruins the magic. I think it is okay for someone working the popcorn cart or Indy ride to walk in and out of the park in costume, but not Cinderella.

I know they tell CM's that wearing your costume outside of work is a fireable offense, but that's not going to stop people. I didn't regularly do it, but sometimes on my way home from a shift Id have to stop and get something to eat or gas. One time I was at Whole Foods and people were coming up to me asking where certain items were, they thought I worked there lol

• Hide and Seek with Anna

And your point is? I see nothing wrong with them wearing there costumes outside the park. It's not like seeing Aladdin or Goofy on the outside the park in there outfits. Hey I work at Toys R Us and I wear my work close outside of work I see nothing wrong with it.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I worked there when we weren't allowed to do it specifically because it would ruin the theming if you say someone ordering food at Denny's or something. Also, considering that most Disneyland CM's are college kids, there is a pretty good chance you might see someone exhibiting some none-Disney approved behavior while wearing a costume. HOWEVER, because they already have to be at work an hour in advance of their shift to allow time for parking, I think it's a necessary evil.

Oh, and characters are not allowed to take their costumes home. That's a different department (entertainment). Although they do their makeup at home, so theoretically you could see someone with makeup to make them look like Cinderella but without the hair or dress out and about somewhere.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Meh

I don't have a problem with this, those people work their butts off all day for families, grouchy park goers, rowdy teens, and what not! They can put their costumes on at home
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

• Mouseke-Awesome

Well, I don't think it "ruins" the magic for me, but it is kind of odd.

On my last trip I went to Target (down the street on Harbor) saw someone in their Tomorrowland garb. Again, didn't ruin any magic, but it was just....odd.

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

Costumes are worn in my home, and every day I pass under this several times.

•   

Dislike it. The presence of the costume is the implication of being on the clock, even if one isn't. Want the freedom to behave as if you're off the clock? Dress like it. Personally I'd prefer changing because the clothes help determine your mindset for what you're doing. In law enforcement I never wore my uniform if I wasn't on duty, not even coming and going. I'd change in a locker room or at the worst, wear a jacket big enough to cover what I was wearing while in transit. There were many reasons for not wearing your work clothes outside of the "stage" but psychological disposition is definitely a strong one.

I like what Hillchat said about dancers and performers. Agreed 100%.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, I worked there when we weren't allowed to do it specifically because it would ruin the theming if you say someone ordering food at Denny's or something. Also, considering that most Disneyland CM's are college kids, there is a pretty good chance you might see someone exhibiting some none-Disney approved behavior while wearing a costume. HOWEVER, because they already have to be at work an hour in advance of their shift to allow time for parking, I think it's a necessary evil.

Oh, and characters are not allowed to take their costumes home. That's a different department (entertainment). Although they do their makeup at home, so theoretically you could see someone with makeup to make them look like Cinderella but without the hair or dress out and about somewhere.
    I pretty much assumed that Cinderella would never make it past the park in costume. She would be back in her normal clothes hurrying to her car (coach?) to get to the grocery store before rush hour. HA HA!

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Dislike it. The presence of the costume is the implication of being on the clock, even if one isn't. Want the freedom to behave as if you're off the clock? Dress like it. Personally I'd prefer changing because the clothes help determine your mindset for what you're doing. In law enforcement I never wore my uniform if I wasn't on duty, not even coming and going. I'd change in a locker room or at the worst, wear a jacket big enough to cover what I was wearing while in transit. There were many reasons for not wearing your work clothes outside of the "stage" but psychological disposition is definitely a strong one.

I like what Hillchat said about dancers and performers. Agreed 100%.
    Sometimes we were told to also take off our makeup after a show before leaving the backstage area to greet the audience or not to be in hair / makeup when arriving to the performance facility. That way, nobody will "recognize us."

I noticed the CMs walking back and forth from Harbor through the ART shuttle turnarounds each time I got off the shuttle during my last trip and felt sorry for all the walking they had to do in long-sleeved shirts and pants in the heat.

• Minion

I think my point is pretty clear actually.

We're here to talk about Disneyland, and one of the most visible changes in recent years is costumes outside the berm. I don't care for it. Disneyland has always been a unique place, and as CMs, we were part of a show. You put your costume on when you got there, and then you went on stage. You weren't even supposed to loiter in an area that wasn't your area (much less out on the streets of Anaheim, Irvine or wherever) or you were considered out of costume. Disneyland is a show. WalMart, McDonalds, and Toys R Us aren't.

Anyway the policy existed for decades and never seemed to create much of a problem. In fact, I personally never heard a fellow CM mention they wished they could take the costumes home because it would be so much easier. You just didn't do it. Likewise, I've heard numerous fellow CMs say they don't dig the new policy either, just like they don't dig the facial hair, and other looser changes that have been allowed in appearance.

So if people don't agree with it, that's cool. But my point is pretty clear. My opinion.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 03-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast