62 46.27%
  • No, get rid of it

30 22.39%
  • who cares

30 22.39%
  • as long as there is another option nearby I'm happy

12 8.96%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Re: What do you think of Starbucks being in Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    I honestly don't think so. I mean McDonald's and Starbucks I think aren't really comparable as one serves a product that I think has a much higher level of "quality" and I mean a good number of people drink coffee, not to mention that SB also sells sandwiches, pastries, and non coffee beverages as well.
    Well, I mean not all items are comparable. But some coffee is just artificial flavoring, sugar, fat, and sometimes caffeine. That's obviously not good for you. Not saying a big mac at McDonalds is any better, though. It was probably a bad comparison...but I'm just saying coffee is the greatest thing.

One a different note, my sister actually works at Starbucks and she likes the coffee (obviously) but she even said it doesn't belong in Disneyland because it doesn't fit the theme

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    While McDonalds is unhealthy, how is Starbucks a better thing, both companies are popular but I have never heard of anyone being addicted to McDonalds where a lot of people have caffeine addictions hence the "need" for coffee in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    I would be willing to bet the coffee is just as bad at fast food.
    Actually, the research says that coffee, except in high quantities or unfiltered, isn't that bad. Studies have shown an association between coffee consumption and decreased overall mortality. In high amounts (like more than 2 cups a day), there is an increase in cholesterol build up. But overall, coffee isn't bad for you. It isn't good for you either though. It's just kind of neutral.

McDonald's, however, was frying everything in oils full of really bad fats and cholesterol. Things that even in small amounts significantly increase your risk of heart disease, artery clogging, atherosclerosis, etc. And they refused to change their practices too, despite many other fast food places changing out those kinds of oils for much better things.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Keep the debating up!! It's keeping the Starbucks line short!! ( just went on wed and there was no line again! )

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I think it's from La Boulange it's self:
    La Boulange | Starbucks Coffee Company
    Good to know, thanks! The reason I wondered is because pastry items that have long been a part of Starbucks now have a little La Boulange sign in front of them. Curious.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• -

One a different note, my sister actually works at Starbucks and she likes the coffee (obviously) but she even said it doesn't belong in Disneyland because it doesn't fit the theme
    Which theme are you saying is being violated? Coffee has been around for centuries so it would have been available in Small Town America from 1890-1910.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Actually, the research says that coffee, except in high quantities or unfiltered, isn't that bad. Studies have shown an association between coffee consumption and decreased overall mortality. In high amounts (like more than 2 cups a day), there is an increase in cholesterol build up. But overall, coffee isn't bad for you. It isn't good for you either though. It's just kind of neutral.
    Actually, some of the more recent studies have shown that up to three cups a day may actually have some health benefit. Any more than that and you start to lose any benefit from the caffeine and start to get into the unhealthy range.
    Last edited by calsig31; 03-14-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I don't mind them selling the products, just naming/branding the whole store. Make it so I don't see the word 'starbucks' until I look at the order board and I'm fine with it. (I would be fine with a window sticker/sign saying "Featuring Starbucks products!" or similar.)
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    While McDonalds is unhealthy, how is Starbucks a better thing, both companies are popular but I have never heard of anyone being addicted to McDonalds where a lot of people have caffeine addictions hence the "need" for coffee in the first place.
    That's actually a really good point. The fat and cholesterol content of those McD's fries probably packs a wallop, but caffeine can do some pretty horrible things to you, too. I guess the loopholes there would be a) there are items at Starbucks that don't actually have coffee and/or caffeine; b) they sold caffeinated coffee before Starbucks got there; it's just a brand change.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I don't mind them selling the products, just naming/branding the whole store.
    They didnít change the name of the store. They only redesigned the interior. Yes, they placed a Starbucks sign near the door, but because of the foot traffic on Main Street, one would have to be right in front of it to see it. If one were just looking down the street, one would hardly even notice the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    That's actually a really good point. The fat and cholesterol content of those McD's fries probably packs a wallop, but caffeine can do some pretty horrible things to you, too. I guess the loopholes there would be a) there are items at Starbucks that don't actually have coffee and/or caffeine; b) they sold caffeinated coffee before Starbucks got there; it's just a brand change.
    Again, some caffeine actually has some health benefits. The same canít really be said for McDonaldís fries.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Again, some caffeine actually has some health benefits. The same can’t really be said for McDonald’s fries.
    In moderation, for some people, perhaps. Some people react very badly to it, though, and it can also interact with many medications. And then you hear about kids dying of heart attacks because they drank too many Red Bulls or Monsters. Point being, caffeine can certainly have negative effects on people. It's perhaps like red wine; it has scientifically proven health benefits, but it's not necessarily safe for everyone to drink.

• I'm not really here

In moderation, for some people, perhaps. Some people react very badly to it, though, and it can also interact with many medications. And then you hear about kids dying of heart attacks because they drank too many Red Bulls or Monsters. Point being, caffeine can certainly have negative effects on people. It's perhaps like red wine; it has scientifically proven health benefits, but it's not necessarily safe for everyone to drink.
    Clearly the recommended amount for a benefit does not apply to people who have adverse reactions to said substance. That is only logical. However, it does not negate the benefits to those without the reaction. Too much of anything can be bad. Too much water inhibits nerve conduction and your heart/lungs stop functioning. Oxygen in too high concentrations is massively flammable.

This is hardly an argument against having a Starbucks at the parks though.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Columbia love Disneyland too!! As for me being from Seattle, BOOOOO! Worst crap ever. The Mango smoothie is disgusting, no mango taste at all. Why wait an hour in line for Starbucks in DLR when I can walk to one from my house and wait about 3 minutes. Not that I would though!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Clearly the recommended amount for a benefit does not apply to people who have adverse reactions to said substance. That is only logical. However, it does not negate the benefits to those without the reaction. Too much of anything can be bad. Too much water inhibits nerve conduction and your heart/lungs stop functioning. Oxygen in too high concentrations is massively flammable.

This is hardly an argument against having a Starbucks at the parks though.
    I never said it was an argument about Starbucks not being at the park. I am actually fine with that. It was an agreement that caffeine even at recommended doses can have negative health consequences for some people - some of whom might not know they're at risk of adverse effects - so it can be seen as an unhealthy substance for some.

I also said in my OP that it was a moot point because Disneyland has always served coffee and other caffeinated drinks; they just switched out one brand for another.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Which theme are you saying is being violated? Coffee has been around for centuries so it would have been available in Small Town America from 1890-1910.
    In my opinion, it just doesn't have that old fashioned feeling. Again, my opinion. I'm not saying that coffee is a brand new concept. I am saying, though, that upon stepping inside the building, it's just boring and has no pizzazz. Not saying I lived back then, but it doesn't have the turn of the century, original feeling.

• I'm not really here

I also said in my OP that it was a moot point because Disneyland has always served coffee and other caffeinated drinks; they just switched out one brand for another.
    Apologies. I misread.

In my opinion, it just doesn't have that old fashioned feeling. Again, my opinion. I'm not saying that coffee is a brand new concept. I am saying, though, that upon stepping inside the building, it's just boring and has no pizzazz. Not saying I lived back then, but it doesn't have the turn of the century, original feeling.
    So Starbucks isn't the problem... the problem is the theme of the interior?

• -

Most stores back then favored function over form so there wasn't a lot of "pizzazz" then either. Following this line of thought, this fits right in.
    Last edited by calsig31; 03-14-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast