Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: "Civillians" wearing costumes into the park?

see I wasn't there on Dapper Day, I didn't get there until the next day and I didn't see people dressed in costumes until the following weekend, and the strange thing, it was only young women that I saw, no men
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Mouseke-Awesome

Disney Bounding...having an outfit inspired by a Disney character....totally fine, I do it all the time. But, I agree I've seen some outfits that are almost to the point of too costume-ey; and these were not on Dapper Day/Halloween visits (though I did see some spectacular costumes for the Halloween parties!!!).

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• Minion

see I could see someone wearing like a woody t-shirt or the Vader T-shirt and call it bounding... But someone who head to toe looks exactly like a character, that isn't bounding, that is a costume
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Pilot EdForceOne

Disney does have a policy of no costumes... but the general thing they are trying to stop is people being confused as being actual employees or being confused as Disney provided entertainment.

This is why they never really bother with kids in dresses, etc.. besides.. they sell that in the BBB!

The new 'disney bounding' trend pushes this boundary... because instead of being 'inspired by' people are getting too much like actual costumes. At some point Disney will put their foot down and start turning people away at the gate when it gets out of hand.. and you know it will.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Mouseke-Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The new 'disney bounding' trend pushes this boundary... because instead of being 'inspired by' people are getting too much like actual costumes. At some point Disney will put their foot down and start turning people away at the gate when it gets out of hand.. and you know it will.
    That's what I'm afraid it will come down too one of these days. Which is a shame, becuase it really is a lot of fun.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

Would going to park occasionally dressed as an Encom employee count as bounding?
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TanyAnnette View Post
    That's what I'm afraid it will come down too one of these days. Which is a shame, becuase it really is a lot of fun.
    but here is the real question, would you actually wear it anywhere outside the park, like at the mall? Or would you only wear it to Disney? Because to me if you would only wear it to Disney then it is probably in that "on the fence" zone but if you would wear it in the day to day life then I think it is far more acceptable
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Mouseke-Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    but here is the real question, would you actually wear it anywhere outside the park, like at the mall? Or would you only wear it to Disney? Because to me if you would only wear it to Disney then it is probably in that "on the fence" zone but if you would wear it in the day to day life then I think it is far more acceptable
    For me, most definitely.

I have a yellow dress I wear for a Snow White inspired outfit in the parks is something I wear to work quite often. Same with my polka dot dress that I wear in the parks for a Minnie Mouse inspired outfit, definitely something I wear out all the time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TanyAnnette View Post
    For me, most definitely.

I have a yellow dress I wear for a Snow White inspired outfit in the parks is something I wear to work quite often. Same with my polka dot dress that I wear in the parks for a Minnie Mouse inspired outfit, definitely something I wear out all the time.
    yeah, that is quite different from the 2 young women dressed head to toe as Ariel and Eric, one even wearing a bright red wig. Also very different from the 3 young women dressed as the fairies from Sleeping Beauty who were all in the correct color, plus hats, and wings
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

I've never understood this policy. Everything is more fun in costume.

"Civilians" dress in the same medieval garb as the employees at Renaissance Faires, and nobody has any real problems picking out the two. Probably because one of them wears nametags. Probably because one of the costumes is so much more elaborate and higher quality. If a "Civilian" can outdo Disney on their Disney costume, then Disneyland should be embarrassed.

Look how much fun Comic Con seems to be because everybody comes back with pictures of cosplay characters. How much of the parks stress and conflicts would be alleviated if many people were in costume (it's hard to get mad at a person dressed as a stormtrooper).

This is a policy like the no drinking rule that just seems to be latched onto because "that's the way it's always been." Both rules need to go.

•   
    • Minion

I suppose that the issue at Disneyland is what others have mentioned: if someone dresses like a Disney character it might be confusing to child visitors. I don't think it's the same as a Ren Faire situation because it's not someone dressing in the style of a character or historical period - it's someone dressing AS a specific character. And those guests aren't Disney employees so they could ostensibly do something that might be a negative portrayal of the character.

I know Disney's lenient on the costume issue on Dapper Day, Bats Day, Rock Around the Park, etc. and I appreciate that. However, I'm honestly surprised to hear that they're looking the other way with adults in Disney costumes.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I suppose that the issue at Disneyland is what others have mentioned: if someone dresses like a Disney character it might be confusing to child visitors. I don't think it's the same as a Ren Faire situation because it's not someone dressing in the style of a character or historical period - it's someone dressing AS a specific character. And those guests aren't Disney employees so they could ostensibly do something that might be a negative portrayal of the character.

I know Disney's lenient on the costume issue on Dapper Day, Bats Day, Rock Around the Park, etc. and I appreciate that. However, I'm honestly surprised to hear that they're looking the other way with adults in Disney costumes.

I agree with Malina. Disney has an extremely strict code of conduct for its characters, including mannerisms, answers to questions, and that they must NEVER break character. It would be devastating to a small child to be talking to some bogus Cinderella & have her roll her eyes and say 'OK, this is now boring. I'mma getta Dole Whip" and walk off.

As far as Ren Faires, I'm not an expert, but wouldn't it be 'frowned on' if someone came dressed as & portraying themselves as Elizabeth I and the Faire already had someone to 'act' that part? The only Ren Faire I went to (many years ago) had a 'court procession' featuring a performer as QEI who led the procession, graciously waving and acting all queenly.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I've always had the impression that if it's Dapper Day, or the Halloween event, you're allowed to wear costumes no matter what age.
    Dapper Day is not an officialy endorsed Disney event.

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post

"Civilians" dress in the same medieval garb as the employees at Renaissance Faires, and nobody has any real problems picking out the two. Probably because one of them wears nametags. Probably because one of the costumes is so much more elaborate and higher quality.
    I dunno. The one year my now ex convinced me to dress up for the Renaissance Faire here, I got stopped countless times being asked questions about where things are and stuff regarding the faire. My costume wasn't elaborate either... just a puffy/poet shirt and a plain long skirt. It ended up turning me off to those things and haven't been to another one since.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post

"Civilians" dress in the same medieval garb as the employees at Renaissance Faires, and nobody has any real problems picking out the two. Probably because one of them wears nametags. Probably because one of the costumes is so much more elaborate and higher quality. If a "Civilian" can outdo Disney on their Disney costume, then Disneyland should be embarrassed.
    Umm, Disney guests have enough trouble with this without people dressing up. Later in the day that my current avatar was taken I was standing in front of SBC wearing my new Red Car Trolley conductor mouse ears and had 2 separate groups ask me for directions to different attractions, I had literally just gotten a photo with Rapunzel and Flynn a minute before. and I was wearing a birthday button
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

why not give the real CM a badge that states what their character is and has the Disney seal so no one can copy it? Also if they don't want you dressing up as characters, why do they sell Princess dresses in adult sizes?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast