Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Mickey Ear Biter

Re: What's your plan of attack to save up money for a Disney vacation?

Everyone's expenditures are different of course, but try not eating out.

Even fast food trips add up to a significant chunk of $$$. When I went to Disney World last year, I would tell myself I couldn't go out because I could use that money to dine out all week on vacation.

Two good ways that I usually save money are through using the "one park a day" park hopper that saves a little, also only eating at smaller counter service restaurants like Tangaroa Terrace and Golden Horseshoe once for breakfast and then for an "evening meal" (I typically skip lunch and then eat a somewhat early dinner around 5 or 6) can also save a good deal of money.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Down Pluto!

I put $20 of each check in my Disneyland box. In a few years I have enough for a two week stay.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

I have a portion of my paycheck automatically deposited to my savings account, and then I never ever touch it except for emergencies (major car repairs, catastrophic veterinary bills ... And Disneyland).

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

MasterCard then bankruptcy... *sigh*

Disney Road

• Minion

Sell a kidney...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband gets paid every two weeks. I save $100 each paycheck. So that's $2,600 that I can spend for Disney trips each year. Normally/lately I have visiting Disneyland exclusively, but this year, I am planning two trips. One for Disneyland in May, and one for Disney World in August. When I go to Disneyland, I book my hotel room with my Wyndham timeshare points. I stay a Dolphin's Cove, and it is very nice. So I don't have any hotel costs. My airfare has been running a bit high lately, but averages about $325. I wanted to make two Disneyland trips this year, and buy an Annual Pass, but I changed the one trip to a Disney World one. So I will be buying parkhoppers for both places. It won't be an even split between the two trips, but I should be able to stay in my budget. When I fall short, I use a bit of our income tax refund money.

It's fun planning, saving, and trying to figure out ways to cut costs. I don't do much souvenir shopping. Instead, I take loads of pictures. I Cut down by not booking any high cost meals, especially those character ones, where they push the pictures. I do try and treat myself to one thing special each trip.

• Indiana Scott

To keep cost down we stay across the street from DLR at Park Place or Park Vue Inn. Not only does it save $700 to $900 for the hotel over staying at a DLR hotel but hey also have free breakfasts that save $30+ a day for our family.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Rememeber to always check our aRes Travel. They seem to always have excellent buys on the tickets to the park. For instance, this week, they have PArk hoppers Adult for the price of a child. For us, Canadians, that is a 100.00 savings.

Disney Road

We do the typical, put some of the paycheck away every month, method. But, a way that we save up for souvenirs and park food is just putting change away in a jar. I never carry cash but my husband only uses cash, so at the end of the day he always comes home with a pocket full of change. So a few months ago I put a jar in the room for him to empty out his pockets everyday. We also pick up change wherever we find it. It's kind of like a game and reminds me of being a kid again.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    To keep cost down we stay across the street from DLR at Park Place or Park Vue Inn. Not only does it save $700 to $900 for the hotel over staying at a DLR hotel but hey also have free breakfasts that save $30+ a day for our family.

This. The free breakfasts at various other hotels saves me a ton of money over a week and makes for the best value. Oddly hotels may be one of the few services where the more you pay for a room, the less you get complimentary.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Sell a kidney...
    I prefer to sell someone else's kidney.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

We put money aside, try to not eat out as much, and use AAA discounts.

Magic Bullet. yes there is a magic bullet to all of this. Blend your own coffee drinks at home. Buy the syrup at a grocery store supply warehouse, the business that existed before cost-co. here in Salem, ours is now open to the public to compete with Cost-co. Bottle flavor syrup is 4.00.

My wife is the coffee drinker. so I reuse her grinds to make my coffee drink. $3.00 a day, seven days a week $21.00 is squeezed into the tiny slot of my Disney character plastic taxi bank rather than Starbucks like stores.

or if you are a fruit smoothie drinker, purchase grade two fruits and freeze them. some stores have racks of post date fruit or orchards have boxes of grade 2 fruit.

And here in Oregon, we have an invasive species of blackberries. They freeze really great and my son when young and no idea what self esteem was all about, went door to door selling the fruit. It was hard for him to spend his hard earned money at Disneyland for China plastic toys.

If saving money for the trip is necessary, than perspectives need to change.

This is how I did it: (and this for folks along the pacific coast or due east of Disneyland)
    Ride the train. Children 2-15 ride almost free, at my Oregon rate, 1/4 of adult fare.

Savings? No airport parking, no airport transfer to Disneyland.

No wear on the family car. no need to worry that your automotive savings to buy tires, fix mechanics and $500.00 deductible were used to go to Disneyland. The car is sitting at home safe waiting for you to return to work. That is loads of savings!!!

Drawbacks? Not really restful for adults with children. Need to buy two extra nights at the lodging. late train arrival night and one full day and night to rest from the train travel before entering the park ( five nights total)

Walking. The farther away from the gate, the cheaper the hotel.
    Drawbacks? Well, you need to walk to the store over an hour away to buy weight in groceries that you can load onto a city bus or carry back.

Walking to the store. Not really that bad of walk if you travel west to Wal-mart. fun to walk under the palm trees, see how folks live, and be in California sunshine without park stress.
    Rewards. pounds of healthy foods at tons of savings.

So really, saving isn't about the money saving at home, but how you are going to spend it on vacation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast