Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

3rd Gate possibility: Land of Legend

"Since the beginning of mankind, the fable-tellers have not only given us entertainment but a kind of wisdom, humor, and understanding that, like all true art, remains imperishable through the ages."

--- Walt Disney

Mythia was originally to have been located in the Discovery Bay section of Disneyland. However, DCA has set the precedent for new parks, rather than crowding Disneyland and dilluting its themes.

So, Land of Legends could easily be a park unto itself. Really, Greek and Roman myth could be a park unto itself, but that does seem a little odd. Instead, I think you could reImagineer World Showcase as an exploration of the oral traditions of places around the world.

The trick, I think, is to incorporate certain stories without automatically making a tie-in to the Disney film. For instance, an English pavilion would naturally address King Arthur, but not through the Sword in the Stone film. Instead, they may want to use existing concepts for AK's dragon ride in the Beastlie Kingdomme proposal, and re-work it to Merlin's prophecy to Vortigern, in which Vortigern's tower rests on the den of two warring dragons. Or, perhaps as Sir Gawain's battle. Similarly, instead of Hercules, a ride could be based on Perseus and the killing of the gorgon.

Skew the park a little older in theme. If there's one thing I remember from childhood, kids want to be treated like adults. As long as you create rides that the whole family can ride together, you can make the content a little darker and kids will eat it up. Plus, the American pavilion can include Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, and Johnny Appleseed, this time the Disney versions.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• șoș Tom șoș

I really like this idea and strongly encouraged this post.

*Ireland- Celtic traditions-think of the possibilities
    *Norse- Vikings and a reach history.
    *South American- The Mayans and Aztecs- my goodness what can we expect?
    *Africa
    *Egypt
    *China
    *Japan
    *Australia-

The list of myths and legends is endless and the possibilities are numerous. I would avoid the current miodern theme and historical significance of Epcot and focus on legends and myths as the focus for the park and I think it is a significant step towards a well themed and well developed idea for 3rd gate.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Good ideas! Unfortunately (or not, depending on your point of view) and I am sure this has been discussed before, the third gate will probably end up being a clone of something at WDW- they are unlikely to try something new since DCA has been less than anticipated.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Good ideas! Unfortunately (or not, depending on your point of view) and I am sure this has been discussed before, the third gate will probably end up being a clone of something at WDW- they are unlikely to try something new since DCA has been less than anticipated.
    Actually I highly doubt a cloned park-

*MGM Studios has been ruled out by the presense of the backlot area in DCA.
    *Epcot was not well received but this hybred land of myth idea has more potiential.
    *Animal Kingdom will almost likely not put in Anaheim because it requires far more open space and treads to obviously on the feet of the World Famous San Diego Zoo and Animal Park. I could see a small possibility of a sponsership forming with the Wild Animal Park to become a Disney park but I put emphasis on small possibility.
    *DisneySea is has some potiential but may confuse people who would have otherwise visited SeaWorld San Diego

I think we also need to think more of an original park with excellent theming that provides the magic of the first park while being completly different and worth the time of a visitor. A Disney spin on Myths and Legends might just be the ticket in my humble opinion....

• Minion

Agreed... In essence, Epcot is the result of someone saying "You got World Showcase in my Future World." "You gor Future World on my World Showcase." It's two differing parks that are vaguely united by the notion of creating the world's first permanent World's Fair. So, in choosing to "clone" only half the park, Disney is in fact going with a safe bet. I have never seen negativity toward World Showcase.

But Disney is also mindful that DLR can't just get a clone park. That's a large part of the weight around DCA's neck. DCA didn't clone a theme from itself, but it's lacking original content. Learning from that lesson, Disney needs to take a good idea and kick it up a notch for its third gate.

Personally, I'm still in favor of the ImagiNations concept, where the pavilions of the World Showcase have exciting rides that pour into the melting pot of America. But Land of Legends has a similar quality, in that it doesn't just sit around a lagoon and exist. It actively tells a brand new story that Disney has never told in one of its parks before.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

This sounds like a great idea with LOTS of possibilities for exciting attractions, merch and food, but I have to admit, I am still taken by the idea of a park dedicated to villians.

• Banned User

I like it.... I like it a lot.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    I like it.... I like it a lot.
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh Dshimel is back~! Whoop Whoop~!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh Dshimel is back~! Whoop Whoop~!
    Where'd I go?

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Where'd I go?
    I just didn't see any posts from you for a while, thought you left-Tom

• Banned User

Busy weekend, moved offices at work this morning so was off-line... and frankly, not much interesting going on here today.

• șoș Tom șoș

I wanted to resurect this post so I could get a better grasp of the vision and scope of this suggestion. Mod Hotter how would you layout the main entrance/drag area of the Myths and Legends park? I think these set a strong tone for the park and I am curious what the "Castle/Giant Silver Dome/Mann Chinness Theatre/Tree of Life" would be for this park?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I wanted to resurect this post so I could get a better grasp of the vision and scope of this suggestion. Mod Hotter how would you layout the main entrance/drag area of the Myths and Legends park? I think these set a strong tone for the park and I am curious what the "Castle/Giant Silver Dome/Mann Chinness Theatre/Tree of Life" would be for this park?
    Yeah, I was toying with that earlier... My first instinct was too create a giant stylized campfire around which the park tells its stories. But noo matter what I do with that concept, it doesn't exactly make a cool Monorail accessory, if you know what I mean...

Another discarded concept was to create a Main St. where the building facades are those old leather-bound books with the gold lettering, and the weenie at the end is one of those old-style globes. But it just doesn't sound warm and inviting enough.

I think part of the trouble is coming up with a weenie that symbolizes all ofo the lands. But then I remembered, the Castle doesn't do that. It doesn't fit the theme of Main St., and it dooesn't really tell any storoy but that of Fantasyland. So, with the possibilites opened quite a bit, I started thinking aboout Mt. Olympus. Or maybe a giant unicorn.

I'm having a little trouble with this one. Hoping soomeone else has some good ideas to build on.

-- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris
    This sounds like a great idea with LOTS of possibilities for exciting attractions, merch and food, but I have to admit, I am still taken by the idea of a park dedicated to villians.

OH MY GOSH!! I LOVE that idea. Any ideas for names? Disney's Badland?
    Ha ha.

Seriously, I really love that idea.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• șoș Tom șoș

Despite the obvious parrelles to Universal Studios and Epcot, I have always liked the giant globe idea, but I would build a skelton, see through globe with a giant fountain in the middle and beneath the fountain, super strong lights the shin out from the water, add some steam effects and lasers and it would look really amazing at night but look trival in the day.

My other thought is to build a giagantic center, a compass like on the old maps of the world, so that the park was laid out somewhat similar to those old maps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast