Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Why the reduced hours April 28-30??

We've gone in Jan the last 2 yrs and the hours have been 10-8. Is bummed at first but it was actually kinda nice to be able to get to bed early and sleep in a bit. The parks weren't crowded so we got to do everything we wanted to. We got in line right before 8 each night for RSR to make the day longer. The line was actually pretty quick too, about 20-30 min. The only thing I noticed was that since it opened later there seemed to be as many people there for opening as there are during really busy times. It didn't seem like we had the quiet morning but it never got too bad so not a big deal.
    My sister's family had gone a week before us and has full hours but full crowds. I remember thinking as we were leaving that they were in the parks 6 more hours than us (which my feet weren't willing to do) and we probably did as much as they did or more plus we didn't have to deal with the masses. She had texted me one day and said they couldn't move it was so crowded. I'll take shorter hours and missing a few things over that any day.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Disneyland only post the hours 6 weeks in advance. WDW post up to 6 months in advance. Disneyland does not have this luxury because our schedule is not hammered out on entertainment for sometimes no more than 8 weeks in advance and the constant changing of that schedule when it comes to refurbishments.

Why doesn't DL have that luxury? What's preventing DL management from hammering out entertainment and refurb schedules ahead of time? WDW is working with a heck of a lot more real estate, properties, shows, and attractions than DL does. Why can they do it but DL can't? I think this is why I'm so worked up. I visit WDW much more frequently than DL. I'm not used to the uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by StarDustFairy View Post
    As long as crowds are low I think it will be okay.

I appreciate the optimism, StarDustFairy. I really need that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Or they could increase costs on days that they are opened longer and offer more entertainment. Instead they offer the same rate on days they are opened longer as they do on days with reduced hours.

Hah! I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they did something like that. Suck as much money as possible from the teeming millions! (I say this as a proud contingent of the teeming millions.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Even with reduced hours that is plenty of time to see everything in both parks and do stuff more than once.

Especially since so many attractions are closed!

Really, though, I appreciate the optimism. I'm sure it will be fun enough. It's just tough to invest so much in a vacation and have to lower expectations. Yeah, yeah, I should have checked the mouseplanet blog first. Most families aren't flexible enough to time their vacations perfectly. All checking mouseplanet would have done is allow me to lower my expectations further in advance. I suppose I'd be less ticked off now, but still just as bummed.

• Minion

In the future, look at the history from the previous year when making travel plans. If you go to the Park Update, pick a year prior to your dates, and scroll to the bottom, you will see what the hours were like the prior year for your week. Spring Break varies year to year, but typically, a March and early April are spring break weeks. Also, you won't know when the park is going to close early because someone/some corp has rented out the park for a party.

The dates you chose, I am actually surprised the park is open until 9.

And for those looking at week days during the school year, Disneyland doesn't do fireworks Mon-Thurs, because it is a residential area and the county limits when they can have them. They do special exemptions for Dec and Spring Break.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I hope that the crowds are low but please be prepared for it to be moderately crowded and that way you will not be bummed. I only say this because the last week of April is generally the start of the end-of-year school trips. These days can sometimes be quite crowded during the day and then empty out around 6 when the busses load up. I know that one of the schools in our district (Arizona) has their band trip on the 28th.
    Having been on days when group levels are high it can get quite annoying dealing with the large groups of people.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
    I hope that the crowds are low but please be prepared for it to be moderately crowded and that way you will not be bummed. I only say this because the last week of April is generally the start of the end-of-year school trips. These days can sometimes be quite crowded during the day and then empty out around 6 when the busses load up. I know that one of the schools in our district (Arizona) has their band trip on the 28th.
    Having been on days when group levels are high it can get quite annoying dealing with the large groups of people.
    Believe me, I'm not getting my hopes up. I despise the school groups-- hundreds of unsupervised, ill-mannered punks.

(And I say that as a father of school-age kids who would probably be punks without my supervision.)

I figured there'd be at least some of that anyway, which is one reason I was hoping for longer hours. The wife is counting on lower crowds. I'm hoping for the best (considering the lowered expectations) but am fully prepared for the worst. Wow, I really have a bad attitude about this trip! Somebody help me please!

• Rock Star Minion

It will be fine.

Just don't look at the refurb schedule. That should really rile you up.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The doctor is in

Just look at it this way... at least you're not going in the fall where they close the park at 6 or 7 for the Halloween parties 2-3 days out of the week. You either have to go to DCA for the rest of the night along with everyone else or call it a night early.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Certified in everything

Hours and entertainment offerings seem very normal for non-peak weekdays. They don't ramp up the weekday entertainment until summer. Pirates is unfortunate… but only one attraction down isn't too bad, just a shame thats its Pirates.

I'm sure you'll still have a fantastic time.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Fallapart in my Backyard

I plan on going on the 28th of April as now until then it is a real zoo because of spring break and Easter. Though nowadays slow is relative term. Not like the good old days in the early 2000's where you would go and it was pretty much a walk on for the rides during the mid week in the off months...If it gets too busy nowadays I head for the many areas in Cal Adventure or downtown Disney for adult beverages...

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post

I wish Disney would offer lower or pro-rated prices on days they're open fewer hours, provide (drastically) less entertainment, and have major attractions closed down. I'm officially bummed about my upcoming DL vacation.
    Just keep bummed to yourself and don't ruin the rest of your family's vacation. Sorry DL didn't look at their calendar to see who they were supposed to revolve around that day.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by OCCOBRA View Post
    I plan on going on the 28th of April as now until then it is a real zoo because of spring break and Easter. Though nowadays slow is relative term. Not like the good old days in the early 2000's where you would go and it was pretty much a walk on for the rides during the mid week in the off months...If it gets too busy nowadays I head for the many areas in Cal Adventure or downtown Disney for adult beverages...
    Easter is on the 20th this year. Would those crowds really continue onto the 28th?
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

The 28th is the last day of our Spring Break. We were there for the end of Spring Break last year, and yes, it was quite busy.

• Fallapart in my Backyard

I really don't see the crowds hanging around by the 28th...

• Greetings, Program!

Not the entire month of April into May because that's when Grad Nights come into play. Just be happy you are missing those and enjoy your time in the park.
    Lord have mercy is he right about this one! Just be glad you're not going to be in the middle of that nonsense. You think you're upset now. You'd be calling for someone's job if your family ever had to endure sharing a Grad Night.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

We are going the 28th and 29th too. Most of the CA schools are back in, however the 28th is my nephews last day if spring break. He goes to a private school in CA and I'm not sure if they follow a public school calendar or not. I am expecting the 28th to be busier than the 29th, but not over the top crowded. Hopefully not over the top crowded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast