Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Why the reduced hours April 28-30??

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Just keep bummed to yourself and don't ruin the rest of your family's vacation. Sorry DL didn't look at their calendar to see who they were supposed to revolve around that day.
    Zing!! Serves me right for expressing an opinion!

I don't imagine I'm alone in wishing park hours were posted further in advance at DL, as WDW-- a much larger and complex operation-- does. And I don't think it's out of line to lament the fact that you don't always get what you pay for. I realize that sentiment isn't well received on this particular section of Micechat. Keep in mind that not all visitors to DL are APs who live an hour up the 5.

Disneyland really should post their hours further out, however I think they are constantly changing their plans due to events in the area and internal crowd predictions.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    Ok, I'm pissed/confused/distraught. I planned a family vacation to DL (first in about 5 years) for April 28-30. At the time we booked everything last month, the open hours schedule wasn't available for these dates (which is sort of ridiculous, is it not?). Being that we're getting closer to peak season, I based my expectations on the hours of operation for the weeks in April that were available. The average hours for DL was 8a - 12a.

So imagine my horror when I check the site today to see that on the days we're going, DL is only open 10a - 9p. W. T. F?

Oh, and no fireworks or Fantasmic those days. Or Pirates. I've apparently planned our vacation for the worst days of the year at the park! Cause heaven forbid we release the schedule far enough in advance so responsible people-- for whom Disney vacations are very few and far between-- can have a reasonable expectation of hours!

I can't reschedule, but I'd at least like to know if there's a reason they've carved a week out of spring and reverted to winter hours. My wife is optimistic, thinking this must mean it will be less crowded those days. I'm praying she's right, but I suspect she's not. Can anybody help me out here? Why the reduced hours and hiatus for entertainment? And can I at least expect the consolation of lighter crowds?

I wish Disney would offer lower or pro-rated prices on days they're open fewer hours, provide (drastically) less entertainment, and have major attractions closed down. I'm officially bummed about my upcoming DL vacation.
    Not to harp on the OP here, but scheduling and making reservations based on assumptions wasn't the best idea. I understand being upset, and I'm with you there.

I don't think it wouldn't have hurt to maybe start a thread here on MiceChat about your trip if you had any questions/doubts. This website has so many knowledgeable members, we could have surely tossed some info your way that could have either prepped you for inconveniences or allowed you to schedule your trip at a different time. All in all though, it's going to be a blast regardless. Make the most of your trip - it should be the quiet before the summer storm!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I don't think it wouldn't have hurt to maybe start a thread here on MiceChat about your trip if you had any questions/doubts. This website has so many knowledgeable members, we could have surely tossed some info your way that could have either prepped you for inconveniences or allowed you to schedule your trip at a different time. All in all though, it's going to be a blast regardless. Make the most of your trip - it should be the quiet before the summer storm!
    I appreciate the sentiment, explodingboy. I'm sure it will be ok. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, although we live closer to DL, we visit WDW much more often than DL. Planning for a DL trip can be a very different experience. Aside the from the fact that hotels and dining are so much more complex (and expensive) at DL, it seems like you've got to really watch your step when it comes to scheduling a DL vacation. For me, planning a DL trip comes with a certain degree of built-in anxiety. I think my frustration might be rooted more in the lack of available information (i.e., unreleased park hours/entertainment schedules).

In this case, we had a really short window to plan for. We could have gone a few days prior or a few days after 4/28-30 but that's about it. Starting a question thread here earlier would probably not have spurred a change in our plans, but I may have been able to preempt some of the frustration.

WDW info has a full 12 months of hours on their site (in the past) so you can plan hours from this.

I'm going the was week of April / first week of May next year and am just making sure in there for a Friday and Saturday so I can have Tuesday to Thursday or quiet time in the park then two days with shows and larger crowds to experience everything!

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    Ok, I'm pissed/confused/distraught. I planned a family vacation to DL (first in about 5 years) for April 28-30. At the time we booked everything last month, the open hours schedule wasn't available for these dates (which is sort of ridiculous, is it not?). Being that we're getting closer to peak season, I based my expectations on the hours of operation for the weeks in April that were available. The average hours for DL was 8a - 12a.

So imagine my horror when I check the site today to see that on the days we're going, DL is only open 10a - 9p. W. T. F?

Oh, and no fireworks or Fantasmic those days. Or Pirates. I've apparently planned our vacation for the worst days of the year at the park! Cause heaven forbid we release the schedule far enough in advance so responsible people-- for whom Disney vacations are very few and far between-- can have a reasonable expectation of hours!

I can't reschedule, but I'd at least like to know if there's a reason they've carved a week out of spring and reverted to winter hours. My wife is optimistic, thinking this must mean it will be less crowded those days. I'm praying she's right, but I suspect she's not. Can anybody help me out here? Why the reduced hours and hiatus for entertainment? And can I at least expect the consolation of lighter crowds?

I wish Disney would offer lower or pro-rated prices on days they're open fewer hours, provide (drastically) less entertainment, and have major attractions closed down. I'm officially bummed about my upcoming DL vacation.
    I subscribe to Touring Plans mostly for the crowd calendar, but it's also helpful for approximate wait times, especially since Disney got rid of their wait time app.

Anyway, hopefully this makes you feel better. Touring Plans has a crowd calendar where they predict the crowds one year out. It's all done mathematically, and they rank the crowds on a scale of 1-10, taking lots of things into account. It's a little complicated, but basically 10/10 is going to be very crowded with long wait times and 1/10 is the opposite.

From today until April 27th, each weekday is considered a 5-7/10 (Spring Break crowds), and weekends can in hit 10/10. Starting Friday, April 11th, the crowds get really bad, mostly 8-10/10, with the week of the 14th being the worst.

However, Monday, April 28th-Wed the 30th are 2/10. Those days are by far predicted to be the least crowded days in a long while. Disney knows this as well, which is why the hours are shorter.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    WDW info has a full 12 months of hours on their site (in the past) so you can plan hours from this.

I'm going the was week of April / first week of May next year and am just making sure in there for a Friday and Saturday so I can have Tuesday to Thursday or quiet time in the park then two days with shows and larger crowds to experience everything!
    And Bam!

All the hours for a full year provided by Disney.
    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/pla...when-to-visit/

But here is the thing who is mostly going to look at that for planning purposes. The vast bulk for Spring Break when the hours are longer. Not the very few who are going when those crowds have died off. And that week of the OP's is split with May, so the hours for it have to apply to both months and those May hours fit inside the April hours, so May wins that week.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

for future reference here is where you can get the previouis years park hours by day.

This is the hours and all the parades and even shows closures from April 2013

Disneyland Park Hours / Parades and Show Times - April 2013

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123