Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why the reduced hours April 28-30??

Ok, I'm pissed/confused/distraught. I planned a family vacation to DL (first in about 5 years) for April 28-30. At the time we booked everything last month, the open hours schedule wasn't available for these dates (which is sort of ridiculous, is it not?). Being that we're getting closer to peak season, I based my expectations on the hours of operation for the weeks in April that were available. The average hours for DL was 8a - 12a.

So imagine my horror when I check the site today to see that on the days we're going, DL is only open 10a - 9p. W. T. F?

Oh, and no fireworks or Fantasmic those days. Or Pirates. I've apparently planned our vacation for the worst days of the year at the park! Cause heaven forbid we release the schedule far enough in advance so responsible people-- for whom Disney vacations are very few and far between-- can have a reasonable expectation of hours!

I can't reschedule, but I'd at least like to know if there's a reason they've carved a week out of spring and reverted to winter hours. My wife is optimistic, thinking this must mean it will be less crowded those days. I'm praying she's right, but I suspect she's not. Can anybody help me out here? Why the reduced hours and hiatus for entertainment? And can I at least expect the consolation of lighter crowds?

I wish Disney would offer lower or pro-rated prices on days they're open fewer hours, provide (drastically) less entertainment, and have major attractions closed down. I'm officially bummed about my upcoming DL vacation.

Re: Why the reduced hours April 28-30??

I'm also going for some of those days(the 27-29 vs 28-30). It should be quieter those days, which is why I selected that time to go. Added the Sunday to get the fireworks, Fantasmic!, and some time for Pirates since it's supposed to go down on the 28th. I wasn't sure what to expect hours-wise for the Monday/Tuesday until the schedule came out, but figured with the crowd estimates being lower that they wouldn't be open as long. The only thing I'm really bummed about at this point is that it appears there is NO magic morning for the days that I am there. While I don't understand it(Aren't they supposed to be on every Tues/Thurs/Sat?), I'm trying to stay positive that there will still be plenty of things to see and do while there. And with the lower crowds, wait times should be quite a bit shorter.

• Minion

the weeks before your vacation are spring break which is why the park is open peak hours then, 10-9 isn't winter hours and for that matter better then winter hours (10-8). Crowds will be lower then if you had gone the week before. To be honest, you should have known that the fireworks and Fantasmic were weekends only for September-May unless during the 2 weeks of christmas or spring break, and you also should have known that by not going during Summer itself you wouldn't get the "full" park.

I just got back from 8 days with no Big Thunder, no subs, Splash was only open for 3 of those 8 days, Soarin was only open 2 of them, the Disneyland Railroad was closed, and it was raining so Remember and Fantasmic got cancelled 2 of the 3 nights. Oh and the rain also made it so that the old characters that had been gathering in Frontierland (Cinderella's step-sisters, Robin Hood and Friar Tuck, Horace and Clarabelle, etc) didn't make an appearance because there wasn't enough covered area for them.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

We also plan to go those days but were prepared for possible 8:00 p.m. closings, so are happy with 9:00. Crowd forecast is Ghost Town crowds, but yes, disappointed in Pirates, Indiana and Mermaid being down, though happy showing Soarin' not down. We usually go in the fall, and these were the same hours we had in October and we got on every ride we wanted to with very minimal wait times. It's a very long day and even up until 10:00 most shops are open with lots of activity. Also, World of Color doesn't start till 8:30, so that goes well past 9:00. Highly recommend planning around historical hours and crowd forecast sites for less surprises after booking, but the light crowds make all the difference for getting everything in. I was just afraid it would close before dark and that's a big deal for me when the park lights up in the evening.

• Former Churro Jockey

I agree 100% with JungleBum. Reservations for a package to Disneyland are usually available roughly a year in advance, and there is really no reason for park hours not to be available at the same time. They can add the disclaimer that everything is subject to change without notice (because you might get a last-minute corporate party that books a night) but at least it can help people plan on what to expect.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Crowds will be lower then if you had gone the week before.
    I hope you're right because honestly that's the only consolation.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    To be honest, you should have known that the fireworks and Fantasmic were weekends only for September-May unless during the 2 weeks of christmas or spring break, and you also should have known that by not going during Summer itself you wouldn't get the "full" park.
    I admit that I should have looked at the larger scheduling picture and realized that those were only weekend things. I simply looked at April and made the judgment based on April, realizing it was spring break but no way of telling that spring break window would end the day before we arrive. I didn't have a lot of flexibility with planning for this. I could maybe have gone the week prior or the week after, but that's about it. Crowds aside, week before would probably have been better. I think my biggest gripe is that the schedule is not published far enough ahead of time. Had I seen the early closings, I would likely have chosen the week prior instead. 'Ppreciate it, Disney.

As far as not getting the "full" park, I get it. I never visit during the summer. I understand stuff will be closed. It just a real downer when some of your favorites are closed AND no entertainment AND shortened days.

Make sure you're early to the main gate since they let people in before opening (half hour?) and then have the rope drop at the end of Main Street at the actual opening time. And remember that Main Street stays open an hour after official closing time. Or if there's a ride with a long line you want to do get in that line just before closing time.

That will squeeze some extra "in park" time into your trip.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Disneyland only post the hours 6 weeks in advance. WDW post up to 6 months in advance. Disneyland does not have this luxury because our schedule is not hammered out on entertainment for sometimes no more than 8 weeks in advance and the constant changing of that schedule when it comes to refurbishments. Is it possible to start your vacation on Sunday Afternoon, all entertainment will be available and you could make fireworks and Fantasmic?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

As long as crowds are low I think it will be okay. I was really bummed when we went a couple years ago during fall. Closing at eight seemed horrible, but we rode quite a bit and we're actually feeling pretty tired by then. I was really excited this time because the park was open until ten, but my daughter and in laws went back to the hotel around 7 or 8 most days, and I actually wimped out around 9!
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    I wish Disney would offer lower or pro-rated prices on days they're open fewer hours, provide (drastically) less entertainment, and have major attractions closed down.
    Or they could increase costs on days that they are opened longer and offer more entertainment. Instead they offer the same rate on days they are opened longer as they do on days with reduced hours.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• The doctor is in

Booking a vacation based on expectation is not very smart, imo. I did it with my trip in February prior to the entertainment/hours being posted and was a bit disappointed with the refurbs I experienced, but I still managed to have fun.

You are going to have three days in the park. Even with reduced hours that is plenty of time to see everything in both parks and do stuff more than once. You can probably even do stuff more than twice if you want. Don't let this damper your trip before you even take it. You'd be surprised how worn out you get even with reduced hours. I've been in on days where they close at 8 or 9 and I often feel myself getting tired by 6.

And as others have said, the last week of April is not considered peak Spring Break time. Spring Break usually spans from mid-March through mid-April. Not the entire month of April into May because that's when Grad Nights come into play. Just be happy you are missing those and enjoy your time in the park.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    Ok, I'm pissed/confused/distraught. I planned a family vacation to DL (first in about 5 years) for April 28-30. At the time we booked everything last month, the open hours schedule wasn't available for these dates (which is sort of ridiculous, is it not?). Being that we're getting closer to peak season, I based my expectations on the hours of operation for the weeks in April that were available. The average hours for DL was 8a - 12a.

So imagine my horror when I check the site today to see that on the days we're going, DL is only open 10a - 9p. W. T. F?
    Last year, midweek, last week of April, DL was open 10-8. So, you're actually getting an extra hour.
    You did not look in the right place for hours. So, it is your own fault for having those feelings.

Bottom of this link shows last year's hours of operation:
    Disneyland Resort Update (Disneyland Resort Update) by Bryan Pugh

In 2012, DL was open 9-9.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Selfie Expert

I'll be there the 28th and 29th. I purposely picked those days knowing they should be less crowded. The trade off of low crowd days is shorter hours... I'll take shorter hours with less crowds every time. I'm actually surprised it's open until 9!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Or they could increase costs on days that they are opened longer and offer more entertainment. Instead they offer the same rate on days they are opened longer as they do on days with reduced hours.
    Good point

The first few weeks of April are spring break, so you have longer hours. The week prior to yours is the week after easter, and has longer hours, but not as long as spring break. You should have relatively low crowds that week and be able to do everything you want to do in the parks. Unfortunately the night entertainment is weekend only for most of the year, partially due to the fact that Disneyland is in a residential neighborhood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast